IGNORED

well sh*t (repairing a panner cover)

walton66

Bike is all loaded for departure and pushing it to the street, I lost it and got a few degrees too far away from me and I dropped it. No structural damage but I scratched the heck out of one of the pannier covers, with a couple being gouges through the paint.. Anyone have an idea of where I could get it repaired once I return?

Daddoz777
Bike is all loaded for departure and pushing it to the street, I lost it and got a few degrees too far away from me and I dropped it. No structural damage but I scratched the heck out of one of the pannier covers, with a couple being gouges through the paint.. Anyone have an idea of where I could get it repaired once I return?

Right there with you, bro, as the same thing has happened to me. It started going over as I felt the big ugly tip-over monster pulling the bike out of my hands.

Gouged up my luggage lid, cylinder protector and mirror. If you or someone does their own painting, use plastic filler for the gouges and my brother said there's a paint called "SEM" that would be good for a finish coat. Or just leave it and as time goes by you may just not care as much.

Try not to worry about it too much and enjoy your trip and the thrill of riding!

Anyone have an idea of where I could get it repaired once I return?

Standard body shop work. The shop can get the paint color-match info from BMW using the VIN.

Guest Kakugo
Anyone have an idea of where I could get it repaired once I return?

Standard body shop work. The shop can get the paint color-match info from BMW using the VIN.

Indeed. I had the side cases touched up by a local car shop: years of hitting them around (including with my feet :dopeslap: ) had left them pretty tatty.

The shop asked me for the color name and that was about it: apparently most paints used on bikes are the same as used on cars.

The job is a 100% match.

Just after having them repainted, I had them wrapped in some very thick film from 3M. The bloke who did the job advised against clean film (at that thickness air bubbles are very hard to get rid of) and found me a 95% match black film.

Let's just say it has paid itself many times over over the last year and a half. :thumbsup:

There is (used to be) a color code on the bike.

Compare prices at body shops.

We used to pay @$150 but it was always perfect.

Heard of both lower and higher prices.

markgoodrich

I try to drop mine at least once a year, preferably twice. That's why I have $100 deductible coverage. Last year I dropped the K in Sequoia N. P., scratched the heck out of the right side of the bike. I replaced one panel, but decided to fix the other one myself. Got the correct paint and clear coat from ColorRite, in a rattle can, and it worked well enough that I can't find where I did the repair. And I've forgotten which panel I fixed....

Granted, I just had to sand the piece down, not use body filler.

Well here I am first night out and you guys have made me feel better already. I've never done this before, my RS and RSL, my Ducati ST2&3, the krausers on the airheads, ..., well there was the first RS but I had some rubber protectors on the lower part of the bags. Nice to know I'm not alone, just old(er).

See you on the flip side, off to Mississippi tomorrow.

elkroeger

Your bike is loaded up... you're pointing the thing toward the road... you've waited for weeks or months for this trip. And you're stewing about a new scratch?

Forget about it for now. Go have fun! While you're tootling around, make up a good gnarly story about how a bear chased you down the highway, and that's how the scratch got there - it's a claw mark! :-)

The OP has a Camhead, but for those following this with Oilheads there is a DIY procedure in HOW TO & WHERE TO

Link

If you've done this type of repair on your Hexhead/Camhead/Waterhead think about posting the procedure in the DIY section.

Stuff occurs - accept that it is scratched and enjoy your trip. I have similar scratches on my hardshell bags and look at it as a sign of, "stuff occurs."

Archived