IGNORED

Hyperlites-Anyone using them on a Wethead?

whitelightning99

whitelightning99

Bought a set of these that are 3 function-turn, brake and running. Spent a good part of the morning getting to the connector for the rear light (bad time to quit drinking!). Identified all of the functions and connected using the included Posi-taps.All work except for the brake lights. Got a signal out of the posi-tap, but nothing at the Hyperlite.

Anyone else try these lights successfully?

Bill_Walker

I've got a set on my Kawasaki, but mine are only running and brake (with flashing).

The Rocketman

Same here. Running and braking only, no turn signals. The HyperLite folks are way nice. A quick phone call will get you a quick answer.

They are great. Have them on the wethead and my previous Concours. I get the ones that don't flash. They light up as tail lights then just go brighter for brake. I think the ones that could be a little distracting if your in a lot of stop and go traffic but thats just me.

Bill_Walker
They are great. Have them on the wethead and my previous Concours. I get the ones that don't flash. They light up as tail lights then just go brighter for brake. I think the ones that could be a little distracting if your in a lot of stop and go traffic but thats just me.

The flashing ones have two brake light modes: flash the whole time the brake is on, or flash for 5 seconds or so (I don't recall the exact time) and then go solid. I went with the latter for the very reason you state. I don't want to be flashing at somebody the whole time I'm stopped, but I want them to notice when I put on the brake. I can always manually release and re-apply to get flashing if I think somebody is coming up behind me too fast.

Using them on a '14 GS

RED signal wire to the red stripe wire on the plug for the tail light

Turn signals to each turn signal plug

power wire to power source (gray wire IIRC)

neaten up

P1000507_zps25e8ca01.jpg

P1000498_zpsbd0e644d.jpg

P1000499_zps94d030f4.jpg

temporary_zps46490f1c.jpg

whitelightning99

Found the issue. Seems my test with the engine off was the issue. The brake light only sees about 3 1/2 volts without the engine running. The Hyperlite controller needs to see something around 10 volts to make things work. Once I started the engine, all was well.

I've had them on every bike I've had for the last 15 years. I always installed them myself. On my new 4014 RT I had the dealer install them but he said every time they hooked up brake light it threw a fault on the bike so they are now just extra running lights. I'm going back to dealer next week for annual service and I'd like to get these working. Does any body remember the wiring used on RT.

Hyperlite color wire ---> BMW wire?? So I can tell dealer.

Thanks

I've had them on every bike I've had for the last 15 years. I always installed them myself. On my new 4014 RT I had the dealer install them but he said every time they hooked up brake light it threw a fault on the bike so they are now just extra running lights. I'm going back to dealer next week for annual service and I'd like to get these working. Does any body remember the wiring used on RT.

Hyperlite color wire ---> BMW wire?? So I can tell dealer.

Thanks

They're still riding wheeled motorcycles in 4014??!!

Well they are definitely not working on my 2014 RT. Just got back from dealer and every time the brake lights start to flash it triggers a fault and shuts off all the rear lights. They talked to hyperlites and confirmed that everything is wired correctly. They have installed them on GS's and 1600"s and they have worked but not on new RT.

Coincidentally a guy called the dealer a few days ago and said his rear lights quit working so they ordered a new rear light assembly for him. He showed up while I was there and it turns out that he also tried to wire up hyperlites on his bike. When they disconnected the hyperlites everything started working again.

If some of you have had success with 2014 RT maybe some can bus systems are more sensitive that others??

I added an Admore led light bar to my 800GS and really like it. I thought about getting one for the RT but I'm not sure it would work. I don't know if the problem is with hyperlites or the RT.

My hyperlights were installed by BMW in about an hour. No issues, working great.

Think maybe they are tapping into the wrong wires.

I had trouble on my 2008 RT with an aux brake LED panel and solved the problem with a small relay triggered by the brake lights that then sent a fed to the LED panel. I managed to tuck the relay inside the back of the rear light cluster.

I am sure the same thing would work on the RTWs for Hyper Lights (which are a great little product).

I installed Hyperlites on my 04RT as well as my new 14RTLC the ones I purchased were running/brake (32) lights and I didn't cut the green wire so that as long as you have the brake applied the lights are flashing warning drivers coming up on you to slow down. For just under $100 it is well worth the money to make yourself as visibly as possible .

So after going crazy trying to get them to work, I got a new controller unit from hyperlites and they now work! It turns out that I somehow had an older controller unit that was made before can-bus even though I just bought them. Maybe dealer has had them in stock for a long time but anyway something to be aware of.

• 3 weeks later...

Have had three different sets of Hyperlites installed over the years and all of them worked Great for each bike.

Excellent product and service = well worth the investment.

I installed them on mine last weekend. Had them on multiple bikes. Really like them. Only thing on the 14RT......getting to tail light not nearly as easy as on prior 1150RT, but now I know how to take the bike apart :). Instructions were spot on and the positaps worked like a charm. Lights work without issue.

Take a look on P3-TS-P. I just got a set of P3 but didnt come with the voltage feature. I'm getting the better one tomorrow.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed Hyperlites on my 04RT and also on my 14RT , I got the 32 light set , running light / brake light only . I left the green wire attached so that the lights flash as long as you have the brake applied rather than clipping the green wire and the lights flashing for only five seconds I feel this is the safer alternative , I like to be seen , especially at night . Excellent product and easy to install .

Archived