2005 RT dies under 4,000 RPM

mdwattsjr

mdwattsjr

Was riding along, minding my own business, when my 2005 R1200RT died along the side of the highway. Only way to restart is to hold the throttle wide open, and then only restarts after a lot of chugga, chugga, chugga. When it restarts, you have to hold the throttle above 4,000rpms, or it immediately dies again. No fault codes. Authorized service dealer has replaced fuel pump (under recall), swapped out fuel injectors, ignition coils, and fuel pump controller with known goods with no effect. Checked vacuum, good there. He basically called and said he was at a loss, and was continuing research. I am doing the same. Any ideas?

dirtrider

Afternoon mdwattsjr

With limited info the first place I would start is a good compression test.

If you had just filled the fuel tank prior to the problem then maybe a complete drain there & new fill with fresh fuel (possibly contaminated fuel)

Next, would be to verify the cam sensor & the TPS is operating properly.

Then possibly look into the crank sensor acting up or the BMS-K having an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

US BMWs come with an evaporative emission control device, which is a charcoal gas fume collection unit up front on the RH side. Two SMs at BMW dealers suggested removing this from the system to me as it can get clogged and cause problems similar to what you're describing. The problems can result from repeated over-filling of the RT tank.

Canisterectomy is easily done (once all the body panels are off) because not only do you need to remove that canister, but also to do a little work with the drain lines. The general way you could test this to see if it might be the problem is to open the gas filler cap before trying to start the engine. If it starts more easily, but has the problem when you close the cap, you may have resolved the issue.

Well...I should have said regarding the location that on RTs, the canister is on the RH side. On GS models, it's above the rider's left foot mounted to the frame there.

Sorry. :dopeslap:

Thanks for the reply. I have taken the replies I have gotten so far to the dealer, and they said they have already tried all of the suggestions to no avail. They are trying an O2 sensor next. Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks for the reply. I have taken the replies I have gotten so far to the dealer, and they said they have already tried all of the suggestions to no avail. They are trying an O2 sensor next. Any other thoughts out there?

Afternoon mdwattsjr

What side o2 sensor are they trying? Your bike has (2) o2 sensors, one for each side.

Have they tried an FPC (fuel pump controller), or tried an FPC by-pass cable?

Not sure which side on the O2 sensor. They just said they tested them and one was a little funky so they are trying that. They did exchange the FPC with a known good with no effect.

greiffster

I doesn't seem like a funky O2 would cause that big a problem, but maybe. Interesting one.

My suggestion, take the charcoal canister out of the system and eliminate one variable. Worked for me. YMMV of course. :thumbsup:

roger 04 rt

If they did the compression test DR suggested ask them for the numbers. This problem shouldn't be that hard for them to diagnose.

If they attached a GS-911 or their equivalent they should quickly be able to see what is happening with all the major sensors when it dies.

A bad O2 sensor won't produce those symptoms of not running below 4000 rpm.

Archived