IGNORED

Highest Mileage on an oilhead?

RocketJohn

RocketJohn

I was at BMW of Denver yesterday grabbing some parts and noticed they had two 1100RTs for sale in the same color as mine.

I have a 98 RT with a respectable 52k miles. These miles were done by my Father. He's retiring from riding and I'm adding this to my stable.

They had a '00 with 48k

and an older RT with 207K, VIN tag wasn't clear on date.

Was curious how this dealer trade in RT at 207k stacks up with members here.

Take care!

17137535120_0952dfcd35_b.jpgUntitled by rocketjohn5, on Flickr

17117999067_67c4e0a702_b.jpgUntitled by rocketjohn5, on Flickr

szurszewski

My 96 is only halfway there. I wonder if its silver parts will start to turn black as well :)

PS - what were they asking for it?

RocketJohn

They were busy and I didn't ask. I will be back there early next week and will find out.

My 96 is only halfway there. I wonder if its silver parts will start to turn black as well :)

PS - what were they asking for it?

I'm guessing more than it is worth! :grin:

What would you pay for one with that many miles? $1,500??

Lots of oilhead RT's for sale with lower miles and decent prices.

I was going to sell my 99 Boston Green RT, but now my wife thinks I should keep it (after I sold the Ohlins :dopeslap: )

It looks like it will stay in my garage instead. :grin:

well rocket, thats almost my exact mileage, i have 2 speedos, original broken 136,xxx & new with now 71,xxx.

if it runs out ok offer about a thousand and walk away,

my guess here? its going to need significant maint even more that all the other RTs want already. little things that could cost ya.

if you buy it & it doesnt pan-out, with a grand in it you might recover with parting out.

maybe you should offer em about 800 instead, thats my opinion.

RocketJohn

Twinsig, very cool!

I have an RT with only 52K, so no more space or time for another moto.

my '04 RT is only approaching 70k but I am very confident that it will double that with minimal issues.

Working on a buddy's R90s and I was astounded to find that he has 249,000 miles on it. First rebuild included 1st over pistons, valves, etc.

And I thought 135k on my R90s was a lot!

Gotta love the flat twin design.

RPG

elkroeger
Voni Glaves' '96R1100RS has ~400K miles.

What color is it? I saw an 11RS just like mine (except red) in Arizona with ~250K several years ago. It was still in showroom condition, too!

Voni Glaves' '96R1100RS has ~400K miles.

What color is it? I saw an 11RS just like mine (except red) in Arizona with ~250K several years ago. It was still in showroom condition, too!

Probably hers. Red. Paul Glaves has kept the bike really nice for Voni. IIRC, she said she put ~1/3 of her 1 million BMW miles on that RS.

A few years ago there was a picture of the speedo on an 1100GS that had done 440k miles on the original engine. I can't remember what forum it was on, sadly. This also was in the US. I do wonder if these mega mileage bikes use the interstates a lot as most really high milers seem to be in the US. I would have thought that a lot of city/town work would see off too many transmissions for the bike to travel that far. Mine is obviously barely run in at under 35k miles.

Would I buy one with that many miles? I don't think so. Over here you can pick up a sub 20,000 miler for around £2,000.

RocketJohn

So I was at the local dealer today for help getting the R1100RT transmission drain bolt off. The hex key head drain bolt was wallowed out and they were able to easily extract it. They replaced it with the new one that is a hex bolt head.

I was able to chat with one of the sales associates about the two R1100RTs for sale.

97 R1100RT with 207K - $3K

00 R1100RT with 49K - $4.5K

He mentioned the 97 had a new clutch and rear drive setup that they replaced. Original owner traded it on an R9T.

Joe Frickin' Friday
97 R1100RT with 207K - $3K

Wow. I sold my '99 R1100RT with 135K for $3500. Apparently the cheap miles come after that! :grin:

Guest Kakugo
A few years ago there was a picture of the speedo on an 1100GS that had done 440k miles on the original engine. I can't remember what forum it was on, sadly. This also was in the US. I do wonder if these mega mileage bikes use the interstates a lot as most really high milers seem to be in the US. I would have thought that a lot of city/town work would see off too many transmissions for the bike to travel that far. Mine is obviously barely run in at under 35k miles.

Would I buy one with that many miles? I don't think so. Over here you can pick up a sub 20,000 miler for around £2,000.

There was a Honda ST1100 in France I think with over 400000km on it. It was still on the original engine/transmission, but it had gone through a number of swingarms.

A friend's daily commuter is an R100RT. Last time I saw it, it had 260000km on clocks. Still on the original engine and transmission, only issues he had were oil leaks from both valve covers (common on some Airhead model years) and, get this, he wore down the center stand. Valve covers were easily fixed and he had the centerstand rebuilt by an old fashioned blacksmith.

However, when high mileage bikes are concerned, nothing beats a Yamaha RD500 I saw. Over 72000km... still on the original pistons, main bearings, cylinders and clutch. The owner did that mileage in just five years, then put it away and bought an FJ1200. He still uses it once or twice a year just to keep the oil flowing through the engine. :grin:

RocketJohn

Honda VFR motors seem to last as well. Back in the day when I had a VFR800, someone knew of a delivery guy in the UK that had 600K miles on a VFR750 and many with over 100-200k.

Honda VFR motors seem to last as well. Back in the day when I had a VFR800, someone knew of a delivery guy in the UK that had 600K miles on a VFR750 and many with over 100-200k.

Not really. They go about 112k miles. Then they crash. :(

• 2 months later...
Matthew Miller

Don't know if this is true, however last Sunday I went to our local Sunday morning motorcycle Gathering. Someone there who was talking with me about my bike, a 2001 R1100RL, told me he has a friend with a R1100R with 400,000 miles on it. Seems hard to believe with out being rebuilt, but I sure hope mine last that long. My R1100RL has 21,000 miles on it so I guess it has only reached the point of being broken in.

Archived