Redding to Eureka, CA - Spring 2016

litigator

I'm leading a group from NY, CT, CO and Austria on a CA trip next Spring. We will be staying in Redding and then Eureka during the trip. Some of the guys will go directly, and some, like me, will make a riding day of it. My plan is to offer three route choices: 1. 299; 2. 299 to 3 to 36 and up 101; and 3. 36 to 101 and then back track to 3 to 299 and on to Eureka. Comments?

I don't like 299 because it is too heavily traveled by RV's and vacationers. I would go south to Red Bluff and catch 36 to 3 to the intersection of 299 or maybe just to Hayfork and back track to 36 and continue west to 101 then to Eureka. I think 36 and 3 are the best motorcycle roads. If you don't start 36 in Red Bluff you will miss some of the best parts of it. JMHO.

Jeff

Danny caddyshack Noonan

+2.

Plus, the coast north of SF, in the spring can see pretty cold temps for what non-residents think California is like. Snow can be down to 500 ft but, there is usually a forecast that states as much (few surprises). Everyone in your group should be right at home if it is cold.

Since the state hasn't had any rain in a couple of years, you're probably 100% safe. :rofl:

Bill_Walker

If you're riding across 36 from Red Bluff to the coast (and you should! I think it's about the most fun you can have on a public road), don't be surprised if you have to stop and change gear a couple of times. Every time you crest a ridge, you're in new microclimate. It can be beastly hot in Red Bluff, and foggy and cold on the coast, with several intermediate stages.

litigator

I did 36 all the way from Lassen to the coast in 2007. It was AWESOME, and I want my friends to experience it. One stretch was like riding a Speeder Bike from the Star Wars movie through the redwoods. WOW!!!

flyingreg

I just saw your thread and what do you know, I live in Redding. I can point out some local roads that will take you to 36 from Redding without ever getting on the interstate. In fact there are several worthy of riding. If your interested I'll start putting names to all the roads. I don't always pay attention to the signs. There's some good riding in Norcal.

Sounds like fun will be had by your group.

litigator

That's awesome, Greg. I was wondering about A5 or A16 but wondered if we would miss too much of 36. If it's easier try gbagen@comcast.net instead of here.

Archived