IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - 24-27 Sep 2015

TyTass

Man, I'm looking forward to this!

Christine was wanting to do a 2-up day on Saturday.

Craig, mind if we join your 2-up posse on Saturday?

Christine asks "will there be wine at the lunch stop?"

Let's plan on it. I just have to get back a bit earlier than usual on Sat.

My Luddite NAV III I don't think has the will to upload routes, but I can't see that holding me back.

Can anyone give me a few hints or point me to a tutorial? I'm not sure which program I need to do what.

"it takes a little more persistence To get up and go the distance..."

Dave -

It's crunch time. Your GPS is giving you fits. Dirtrider provided the perfect answer in the GPS thread, but who knows if it will work. More importantly, no one acknowledged your ideal Rush quote from the Tetralogy of Fear. Fear not, I have a plan B for you.

i-cdKP8JF-M.png

That is my route on the way to FART. I'm leaving this Saturday to enjoy both the time off and the roads from here to there with plenty of time for poking around. If your GPS is still giving you fits, just get to the Smokies and I will come get you. Pick a spot depending on when you can leave, and I highly suggest Tellico Plains, say Tuesday.

- Sunday Night - Suches, GA

- Monday - Suches to Tellico Plains to Robbinsville (staying two nights in Robbinsville)

- Wednesday - Riding from Robbinsville to Asheville on the BRP

If you prefer to slab it direct to Asheville, then I (or any other number of riders I'm sure) would be pleased to lead the way for the routes during the un-event. We relish the role of Rudolph. I'm betting you are probably not one who frets, but don't fret. No fretting. Enjoy your preparation time, and come join in fret-free routes or no routes.

Hi Jake - I fear I'm losing the Nav3 battle. To complicate things, we're in the process of closing on one house and needing to get ours on the market. I don't have much more time to invest in the GPS black hole and would rather spend the time prepping for the trip. I'm fortunate that SWMBO knows that my FARTing was on the schedule first and she knows how happy FARTing makes me.

With the GPS issues looming, I most definitely felt shadows on the road ahead. I was planning to roll off Monday and head to VA and spend Tues and Wed on the BRP. However, meeting you Tuesday in Tellico Plains is definitely doable and might give me an extra day at home. That's a very generous, gracious and timely offer. :thumbsup:

Let's plan on it! And nice catch on the lyrical trivia.

If you or anyone needs some tips on GPS funtivities, I'm here to help. Just ask before, during, or after FART. In fact, if you're brave enough to bring your computer, I can show you in person. It might cost ya, though... :lurk:

Regards,

Keith

It's a deal!

I finally have been able to transfer the routes to the BMW ZUMO 550 and it was able to import them.

Tires and oil checked.

Departure time getting closer and closer.

Tick tack. Tick tack.

:wave:

If you or anyone needs some tips on GPS funtivities, I'm here to help.

I may need a few tips. Thanks for the offer.

By the way, I created one of the routes in Google Maps just to see if I could do it. It combines Route 2 - 2B to Banner Elk and back. It appears to work and you can even get Street View to see what's there. I don't know yet if it gives turn-by-turn directions with the Google Maps app on the iPhone.

So as to spare myself from looking through 14 pages, does anyone have a list of whatever common meals are planned on whatever nights? If not I have to do some data mining... ;)

I believe Saturday night the plan is to try to eat together, but the size of this FART may have become overwhelming for the original location?

Someone will blast in if my crop dusting missed the mark.

A REBROADCAST for late-comers to the discussion thread.

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT 08/11/15 ... #2

Since choosing W. Asheville as the venue for FART 2015, several of us have been discussing doing something we can't do when we're at a location out in the boonies. So, we thought it we should just get a bunch of folks to head into town Thursday evening for some dinner and/or adult beverages.

The plan? Well, there is no plan and there won't be a plan except this ... simply make your way to:

Wicked Weed Brewing

91 Biltmore Ave Asheville, NC.

They have:

- A nice selection of craft beers, great burgers, several nice entrees

- Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating (the outdoor fire pit is particularly nice for hanging out) ... and I'm thinking it is unlikely they will be very busy on a Thursday night in late Sept.

It's a 7 mile taxi or Uber ride from Red Roof Inn W. Asheville. So, for those interested arriving Thursday afternoon or sooner, get a small group of folks together and head into town and let's take over Wicked Weed Brewing that night!

UPDATED INFO: Estimated time to arrive at WW ... 7:00-ish pm.

A REBROADCAST for late-comers to the discussion thread.

DAY RIDE ROUTES:

Ken has posted the Day Ride routes for you to download (in the two links below). There are two files, both GDB and GPX formats, so use whichever works with your software. In most cases either format would work.

FART 2015 Routes.GDB (Click Here)

FART 2015 Routes.GPX (Click Here)

RECEIVING GPS ROUTES FROM OTHERS

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following:

- Open the GDB or GPX file in your software

- Then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option)

- Change the color of all the Duplicate routes (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

- Note the mileage,

- Select the original route and click Re-calculate. The mileage should stay the same.

- If the route mileage is different:

-- Look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to.

-- You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the re-calculate Original route(s) onto your GPS.

REBROADCAST for late-comers to the discussion thread.

Fellow FARTers:

We have been talking about creating some sort of scavenger hunt game for some time, to play while running our various day rides during an event. In fact, we've heard several people express interest in some sort of similar game. So, we created Route Smarts and will run it during FART 2015 as a trial run.

There are two parts to the game ... the scavenger hunt and the match portion of the game. Please read the pages posted above for a complete understanding of the game, before asking questions.

Prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place finishers will be announced at the event. The tie-breaker criteria will also be announced at the event and will likely involve an element of chance.

If there is sufficient interest we may continue the game at later START/FART events. If not ... oh well, it was a nice try.

For more information and a few sample pages from the Player Booklet, go back to my posts in this discussion thread starting 08/15/15 10:51 am.

REBROADCAST for late-comers to the discussion thread.

Fellow FARTers:

We have been talking about creating some sort of scavenger hunt game for some time, to play while running our various day rides during an event. In fact, we've heard several people express interest in some sort of similar game. So, we created Route Smarts and will run it during FART 2015 as a trial run.

There are two parts to the game ... the scavenger hunt and the match portion of the game. Please read the pages posted above for a complete understanding of the game, before asking questions.

Prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place finishers will be announced at the event. The tie-breaker criteria will also be announced at the event and will likely involve an element of chance.

If there is sufficient interest we may continue the game at later START/FART events. If not ... oh well, it was a nice try.

For more information and a few sample pages from the Player Booklet, go back to my posts in this discussion thread starting 08/15/15 10:51 am.

Apologizes to all. On the first page of the thread, it mentions dinner on Sat night.

See you all soon!

If you or anyone needs some tips on GPS funtivities, I'm here to help.

I may need a few tips. Thanks for the offer.

By the way, I created one of the routes in Google Maps just to see if I could do it. It combines Route 2 - 2B to Banner Elk and back. It appears to work and you can even get Street View to see what's there. I don't know yet if it gives turn-by-turn directions with the Google Maps app on the iPhone.

Don't trust Garmin on Beech Mountain.

DAMHIK

Well, just hold on there whippersnapper ... the rebroadcasts posts above don't answer the question of a Saturday night dinner. Please bear with us, folks. Not all plans work out as originally planned.

We'll make an announcement soon.

New to the area and been out of town a lot lately...

Any suggested routes to Asheville from Norfolk VA?

Appreciate any recommendations,

Slyder

stay off 58/460/64. they both suck. last time I did the trip with craig going down south to 158 off 17South from your area. You can take that all the way over to Winston salem if you want, slower time, more interesting, less traffic.

good luck.

Hello my FARTing brethren & sistren. It looks like I'm heading down on Tuesday (departing at a relatively humane hour), doing my usual run that takes in a pretty good chunk of Skyline & the BRP, spending the night at Peaks of Otter, and keeping to the original schedule of Wednesday arrival. If anyone's departing the DMV (Metro DC area) around then, appreciates the scenic route (which usually isn't too boxed up on a weekday), and would like to tag along, I'd appreciate the company.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone.

Will

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT 09/19/15 ... Saturday Dinner ...

We always try to plan some sort of group meal. However, sometimes it doesn't quite work out as we'd like. This is one of those times. There will be no formal group sit down dinner in a reserved section of a restaurant. We were unable to get any of the restaurants within walking distance hotel to reserve seating for so large a group on Saturday night. Their reason why was hard to argue with. Too often large groups reserve far more tables than what shows up for the meal. The restaurant loses money (on unfilled reserved seats, but more importantly they lose their regular customers. We have to admit we've seen that true in our own group on several occasions.

So our plan is simply this ... for those interested, we'll simply make our way a few hundred yards up US-23 and across the road to:

El Chapala Mexican Restaurant

282 Smokey Park Hwy

Asheville, NC 28806

It's supposedly very good ... as they often have a line, that moves pretty good from what we're told.

What do you say ... around 6:30-ish?

So our plan is simply this ... for those interested, we'll simply make our way a few hundred yards up US-23 and across the road to:[/color]

282 Smokey Park Hwy

Asheville, NC 28806

It's supposedly very good ... as they often have a line, that moves pretty good from what we're told.

:thumbsup:

New to the area and been out of town a lot lately...

Any suggested routes to Asheville from Norfolk VA?

Appreciate any recommendations,

Slyder

PM Sent!

:rofl:

you might be stuck with it for a while, chief.

I understand, I'm the one who brought it up, so I have no room to complain! :dopeslap:

Danged straight! ;)

I wish I could make it but not enough vacation time. I hope the weather cooperates and all of your farting is dry.

Yeah, it'd be great to have you FARTing right along with us, John.

Come out to play. There is only one resident in the lodge tonight.

Damn, wish I saw that earlier.

What time is breakfast tomorrow? :)

(I have to be back to work by 9am.)

What time is breakfast tomorrow? :)

Somewhere in Helen or Dahlonega I suspect - this place only cooks on weekends these days.

Sorry, had a flashback to that '70's classic,

You and me both!

So our plan is simply this ... for those interested, we'll simply make our way a few hundred yards up US-23 and across the road to:[/color]

282 Smokey Park Hwy

Asheville, NC 28806

Thanks so much for all the effort you and others have put in to FARTing. The simple plan sounds great! Close enough to base hotelthat we won't need a radar fix on the stars. . .

Public shout out to Bill for the perfect route to get here.

FullSizeRender-XL.jpg

I'm envious of you long trip, Jake. Enjoy!

[And I too thought of Warriors.]

Looks like we're out. Just got back from a 12-day trip to Delaware last night, memorial for a recently dead friend Saturday, leave for a trip to California on October 10. Enjoy!

Public shout out to Bill for the perfect route to get here.

FullSizeRender-XL.jpg

I guess it's been a while since I've been to TWO. The last time was when Mitch and I dropped by. It was El Paseo 4! :P:dopeslap:

El%20Paeso%206-L.jpg

Starting to load bike. I should start FART-ing early Wednesday morning.

Meeting Terry from Perry in Comer, GA for lunch around 1, then the fun should begin.

:clap::wave:

Rethinking (or more accurately, regaining consciousness). I'm heading home Saturday, so I can't TexMex it with you guys. I'll gladly hit it Friday night for anyone in the same boat, though.

Had big plans to finally make a FART. Would be on my way right now. My original purchased 2004RT is running great.

In addition to my CPA practice I'm an owner in a title company a group of local business folks started late last year. We have a meeting this afternoon with a large realtor group who approached us recently about joining our business as an owner and obviously a substantial referral source.

This was not in our business plan and none of us have any desire to cash out, but this opportunity has to be addressed. Hence, todays pow wow. It sets me back work wise about a day.

My wife and are getting away for some hiking later in the week.

All of you ride safe and have fun.

Well, I'm sorry to hear you can't make it this time. Hopefully, you'll make it to one of these very soon.

Good luck with your upcoming business decision.

Since my last FART in Highlands, I have switched to off-road dual-sport. Gonna try the paved roads on the KTM. As long as the rain stays away, I am in. (arriving Friday evening with Randy)

-Andy

That must be some special calendar you're working from, Craig. :grin:

Don't your Thursdays and Fridays have the same date Danny? :rofl:

Oh, very funny! :mad:

[Actually, I quite desrved that. :dopeslap: ]

Archived