IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - 24-27 Sep 2015

TyTass

This event is in my back yard, so I'm familiar with just about every mile of the posted routes and they all look great.

I'd like to share one of my absolute favorite secret little stretches, shown below. Google Street View doesn't know it, but I've been on it several times and it's all great super-curvy pavement. At least it was about a year ago, last time I was there.

It connects Hot Springs to I-26 at Mars Hill, heading East from Hot Springs to Burnsville (or the opposite way). It's a must-ride, IMO.

Hot%20Springs%20to%20Mars%20Hill_zps6ispwe5u.jpg

Agreed. Big Laurel Rd. has been on Ken's routes on and off over the years. Great fun! Glad to hear you're going to make it to the party, Brock.

Well, that's certainly understandable. Just one question ... are you riding all the way out or trailering some of the way?

Roger,

Just remember to take a spare set of keys for the bike this time ;) We'll miss you man!....seriously.

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
It connects Hot Springs to I-26 at Mars Hill, heading East from Hot Springs to Burnsville

If you time your ride right, there's a nice little lunch spot, The Garden Deli, in Burnsville on the NE corner of the town square.

Well, that's certainly understandable. Just one question ... are you riding all the way out or trailering some of the way?

Roger,

Just remember to take a spare set of keys for the bike this time ;) We'll miss you man!....seriously.

Shawn

Will do. Will miss you to.

If you time your ride right, there's a nice little lunch spot, The Garden Deli, in Burnsville on the NE corner of the town square.

I've eaten there many times, and will again that Saturday. Friday lunch will be at my favorite spot in Spruce Pine (Hef's), or maybe somewhere in Black Mountain.

Can someone give a newbie an overview of how the event goes -- or point to a post if there is one?

Is there a meeting on the first day to talk about details?

Do most folks ride together, or just choose one of the routes each day?

Planned get-togethers?

...?

Thanks

Can someone give a newbie an overview of how the event goes -- or point to a post if there is one?

Is there a meeting on the first day to talk about details?

Do most folks ride together, or just choose one of the routes each day?

Planned get-togethers?

...?

Thanks

Man, Ken ... you need to scale your expectation WAAAAAaaaay back! Nothing so organized as a meeting to discuss details! In fact, us offering this game this time is really quite the organized event for this crew. It'll be challenging for this group, I assure you. :rofl:

Nothing so organized...

We do have a secret meeting each night. If anyone notices a rider pointing out each road inconsistency with an arm or a leg point, well, we get their license plate and run them off the road the next day.

Unless you are a newbie. In that case, pull in, park your bike, introduce yourself, drink one of our beers (though it seems like it may be an expensive bourbon) and tell us a lie or two. Go from there. No script, no rules, just like minded folks looking to reunite and meet new friends. That, and leave a bunch of rubber on the road early the next morning. Repeat.

Oh, be wary of anyone wearing a big yellow Aerostich. He's to be avoided.

Alright. Thanks for giving me the picture. Sounds like a lot of fun. I was a little concerned it would be TOO organized for my tastes. Sounds like that shouldn't be a concern,

The parking, however, is organized.

UNwashed Airheads, wherever they please.

RT's in the front row, by color, following ROYGBIV.

Oilheads, across the street, under the steet light and by mileage in first row spaces.

K bikes are like Airheads, few and far between, we try to park facing downhill so we can find our way home.

All other BMW's and other marques must either park next to another model like theirs or over by the dumpster.

Trailers parked based on proximity to the site, 6 spaces per 100 miles.

GS/GSA's are under the Port Cochére.

:lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Nothing so organized...

We do have a secret meeting each night. If anyone notices a rider pointing out each road inconsistency with an arm or a leg point, well, we get their license plate and run them off the road the next day.

Unless you are a newbie. In that case, pull in, park your bike, introduce yourself, drink one of our beers (though it seems like it may be an expensive bourbon) and tell us a lie or two. Go from there. No script, no rules, just like minded folks looking to reunite and meet new friends. That, and leave a bunch of rubber on the road early the next morning. Repeat.

Oh, be wary of anyone wearing a big yellow Aerostich. He's to be avoided.

The first rule of FART club is that you do not talk about FART club.

Our FARTs speak for themselves.

Each one is unique with a flavor all it's own and always to be remembered.

The planning is done beforehand when we pick where we're going to FART and making interesting routes around that location.

I think too much planning would take the wind out of it, but always be prepared for a wet FART as well as cold or warm ones.

Thanks for all of the maps and tips. Hopefully the old FARTs won't be overwhelmed by all of us new FARTers. Sounds like a great mix of cheek flappers. I'm still finding my way, but I may end up needing some help with adding way points to the routes, this is all new to me. I need to spend some more time on this, but so far my efforts and strains have only resulted flatulence. My initial attempts to enter way points still kept me off the planned route. Is there a list of 'way points' to simplify the route correction exercise?

Thanks for all of the maps and tips. Hopefully the old FARTs won't be overwhelmed by all of us new FARTers. Sounds like a great mix of cheek flappers. I'm still finding my way, but I may end up needing some help with adding way points to the routes, this is all new to me. I need to spend some more time on this, but so far my efforts and strains have only resulted flatulence. My initial attempts to enter way points still kept me off the planned route. Is there a list of 'way points' to simplify the route correction exercise?

Check your settings in Preferences in the Routing section. I would suggest having it set at Driving and Fastest Time. Leave everything else un-checked except Narrow Trails...yes even Unpaved Roads (some are paved).

When you have a route you want to change, just use the Pointer Tool and grab the route with a Left Click and drag it to the road you want to be on and release it. You will be creating a Shaping Point. Shaping Points will help you navigate the roads you want to be on without making a Waypoint which you will never need to Go To, which will keep you from having to scroll through useless Waypoints when you need to find a location you do want to go to.

I hope this helps

Thanks - I'll set aside some time to night.

Check your settings in Preferences in the Routing section. I would suggest having it set at Driving and Fastest Time. Leave everything else un-checked except Narrow Trails...yes even Unpaved Roads (some are paved).

When you have a route you want to change, just use the Pointer Tool and grab the route with a Left Click and drag it to the road you want to be on and release it. You will be creating a Shaping Point. Shaping Points will help you navigate the roads you want to be on without making a Waypoint which you will never need to Go To, which will keep you from having to scroll through useless Waypoints when you need to find a location you do want to go to.

I hope this helps

I hope this helps

Assuming you're using Garmin Basecamp:

Once you've imported all the routes and/or created all those shaping points it's a good idea to disable the alert on arrival for each temporary waypoint. This will stop the GPS from calling out the arrival to each and every waypoint as you come to it. It's kind-of a pain if you have a waypoint called on in the middle of a road and there's nothing there...lol. Instead the GPS will just call out your turn-by-turn directions as you'd expect it to.

To accomplish this for all but the End of the route:

1. Open up the route by double-clicking on it

2. Click on any waypoint in the route

3. Hold down the Control key and press A at the same time to highlight all waypoints

4. Right-click on any waypoint

5. Click "Alert on Arrival" to disable alerts for all waypoints (You can press Control-K to accomplish the same thing, I believe. I've got a Mac and it uses Command-K.

6. All waypoints should be labeled as "won't alert" or something similar. If not, then Repeat steps 1-5 again and you'll get the desired result. It's a toggle to alert/don't alert.

7. Now, scroll to last waypoint and click on it

8. Right-click and click "Alert on Arrival" to enable the alert.

9. If you wish, you can repeat steps 7-8 for the first waypoint and any others, such as a restaurant you want to be alerted about.

That's all there is to it!

Have fun...

Keith

Just a heads up, I'm planning to FART. Showing up Thursday evening, leaving 0 dark thirty Sunday morning.

You have been warned! :grin:

So, I'm confused. Does that mean rain?.... or not? I can't keep track.

I've slept too many nights since I first tried this. I have no idea what I'm doing now.

I have a BMW Nav 3.

In order to load and edit the FART routes,

At some point I downloaded garmin mapsource

I also downloaded ITN converter.

Can anyone give me a few hints or point me to a tutorial? I'm not sure which program I need to do what.

"it takes a little more persistence To get up and go the distance..."

Hopefully the old FARTs won't be overwhelmed by all of us new FARTers.

Personally, this is something that I look forward to, meeting people from the board who are new to me.

I still remember the warm welcome extended to me at my first such event. :thumbsup:

Personally, this is something that I look forward to, meeting people from the board who are new to me.

Yeah, he is sick of us bastards that have been around forever. :rofl:

Yeah, he is sick of us bastards that have been around forever. :rofl:

No, no, no, you've got it all backwards. The new folks haven't heard all my bad puns! :rofl:

Oh, yeah, and old music references, I almost forgot that one...

I hope this helps

Assuming you're using Garmin Basecamp:

Once you've imported all the routes and/or created all those shaping points it's a good idea to disable the alert on arrival for each temporary waypoint. This will stop the GPS from calling out the arrival to each and every waypoint as you come to it. It's kind-of a pain if you have a waypoint called on in the middle of a road and there's nothing there...lol. Instead the GPS will just call out your turn-by-turn directions as you'd expect it to.

To accomplish this for all but the End of the route:

1. Open up the route by double-clicking on it

2. Click on any waypoint in the route

3. Hold down the Control key and press A at the same time to highlight all waypoints

4. Right-click on any waypoint

5. Click "Alert on Arrival" to disable alerts for all waypoints (You can press Control-K to accomplish the same thing, I believe. I've got a Mac and it uses Command-K.

6. All waypoints should be labeled as "won't alert" or something similar. If not, then Repeat steps 1-5 again and you'll get the desired result. It's a toggle to alert/don't alert.

7. Now, scroll to last waypoint and click on it

8. Right-click and click "Alert on Arrival" to enable the alert.

9. If you wish, you can repeat steps 7-8 for the first waypoint and any others, such as a restaurant you want to be alerted about.

That's all there is to it!

Have fun...

Keith

Thanks - I missed this post. I'll look into getting Basecamp. I remember now, Garmin had me download the other two programs I mentioned. I'll get back on the horn with them. While I know I come across as totally inept, I've more or less done this before on much older PC based software that didn't need to interface with a stand alone GPS for directions - I just needed to track accurate millage of various routes off the mainline routes.

yer' welcome. everyone knows the a$$hats with the Hi-Viz

'stiches are upstanding gentlemen of taste and class.

I think.

I think.

You are to kind. Lol

I'm not sure about the taste part.

Man, I'm looking forward to this!

Christine was wanting to do a 2-up day on Saturday.

Craig, mind if we join your 2-up posse on Saturday?

Christine asks "will there be wine at the lunch stop?"

Man, I'm looking forward to this!

Christine was wanting to do a 2-up day on Saturday.

Craig, mind if we join your 2-up posse on Saturday?

Christine asks "will there be wine at the lunch stop?"

:dopeslap::dopeslap: NOOOOO Say it ain't so I have to leave early Saturday morning!

Nice n Easy Rider

Hey Glenn,

Glad to hear you can make it. I have to leave early Friday AM but at least we can have a beer or two together Thursday night.

work is in the way, not coming up Thursday night. Will now arrive late Friday night. Looks like I will head out from work around 4pm on Friday.

anyone have a room they want to share? NOT A BED a room, (just for you silly people who might take this wrong)

If so PM please

In high school I rarely attended class. lol.

Routes loaded in the GPS and the bike has been through a 3 hour shakedown this past weekend. A little over a week left. :D:thumbsup:

Shawn

My Luddite NAV III I don't think has the will to upload routes, but I can't see that holding me back.

Can anyone give me a few hints or point me to a tutorial? I'm not sure which program I need to do what.

"it takes a little more persistence To get up and go the distance..."

Dave -

It's crunch time. Your GPS is giving you fits. Dirtrider provided the perfect answer in the GPS thread, but who knows if it will work. More importantly, no one acknowledged your ideal Rush quote from the Tetralogy of Fear. Fear not, I have a plan B for you.

i-cdKP8JF-M.png

That is my route on the way to FART. I'm leaving this Saturday to enjoy both the time off and the roads from here to there with plenty of time for poking around. If your GPS is still giving you fits, just get to the Smokies and I will come get you. Pick a spot depending on when you can leave, and I highly suggest Tellico Plains, say Tuesday.

- Sunday Night - Suches, GA

- Monday - Suches to Tellico Plains to Robbinsville (staying two nights in Robbinsville)

- Wednesday - Riding from Robbinsville to Asheville on the BRP

If you prefer to slab it direct to Asheville, then I (or any other number of riders I'm sure) would be pleased to lead the way for the routes during the un-event. We relish the role of Rudolph. I'm betting you are probably not one who frets, but don't fret. No fretting. Enjoy your preparation time, and come join in fret-free routes or no routes.

I'm leaving this Saturday to enjoy both the time off and the roads from here to there with plenty of time for poking around.

Please tell me you didn't loose your job, cause the Jake I know would never be able to get this much time off! :S:lurk:

If you or anyone needs some tips on GPS funtivities, I'm here to help. Just ask before, during, or after FART. In fact, if you're brave enough to bring your computer, I can show you in person. It might cost ya, though... :lurk:

Regards,

Keith

Please tell me you didn't loose your job, cause the Jake I know would never be able to get this much time off! :S:lurk:

I'm not packing a tent just yet - hope to someday though! (Looks like Dave is winning his GPS battle)

Archived