IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - 24-27 Sep 2015

TyTass

The fates and relocation have conspired against me this fall.

I'm out.

I was afraid that would be the case. Well, perhaps next year!

I'm out.

You use anything as an excuse not to show up.

Well you better make the spring event, I heard it will be a real special event.

Matt, Ashley and you will be missed. :wave:

I'm out.

You use anything as an excuse not to show up.

Well you better make the spring event, I heard it will be a real special event.

Matt, Ashley and you will be missed. :wave:

Yeah, it just ain't the same when you don't show up.

I'm a new member and am considering making the trip to Asheville for the tour. Checked with RRI and they say they're almost booked up for that week.

You found the right thread Ken, was about to direct you here on your intro post. Your GA visit is perfectly timed for this great get-together, sure hope you can join in.

I'm a new member and am considering making the trip to Asheville for the tour. Checked with RRI and they say they're almost booked up for that week.

Hi and welcome. Any idea which days you'll be farting?

not to hijack the thread, but i'm sitting in my office checking the tropics for the latest on Erika and i farted.

:grin:

A gastronomical storm? :grin:

Pat

Well, we're officially up to 50 with reservations! However, I may have missed a few friends who might be coming along with some of you and of course there will certainly be a few cancellations (which I hope are very few, to change the recent trend).

No matter what, it'll be a great time as usual. It's a great group of folks!

i-3vc5DPh-XL.png

Selden, I'm a computer programmer and my motto has been the opposite of your sig line: If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!

Craig,

DaveCinNewOrleans and I are in. Thurs to Sun.

Tom

Excellent! I was starting to worry you guys wouldn't make it.

Well, The Wifes bd is two weeks after, so I needed to prioritize.

I'll miss you folks. :wave:

Bummer! :( Thought we had you this year.

Well, The Wifes bd is two weeks after, so I needed to prioritize.

I'll miss you folks. :wave:

Bummer! :( Thought we had you this year.

Double darn! Looking forward to next time, though.

I know ... gettin' close. I'm doubly excited because by the time FART arrives my rib should be healed (broke it doing something stupid ... not bike related).

I know ... gettin' close. I'm doubly excited because by the time FART arrives my rib should be healed (broke it doing something stupid ... not bike related).

I'm OUT. I've got an employee that needs off for a family reunion that weekend and I'm currently without a 2 wheel vehicle. Everyone ride safe and have a great time.

:lurk:

OK, I was reaching over a half-wall at work to pull a print job off the printer ... new printer means a longer reach. I had to hop to reach ... came down on my rib. Crack! :dopeslap:

OK, I was reaching over a half-wall at work to pull a print job off the printer ... new printer means a longer reach. I had to hop to reach ... came down on my rib. Crack! :dopeslap:

Having a hard time visualizing this! A hop, skip, and crunch!

Having a hard time visualizing this! A hop, skip, and crunch!

More like a reach ... failed. Then a standing hop/reach ... missed. Then a bigger standing hop & reach ... came down on the half wall on my ribs ... crack! But I got the page I'd printed. :P

Oh yeah ... I'm so happy I chose to save the 10-20 seconds of walking around to the opening into the printer area and back out.

Good grief!

I view all my documents online... It's just too hazardous to print! :rofl:

Only for klutzy people. :/

Maybe you should ATGATT at the office. :rofl: Maybe Klim has got some office gear.

I'm OUT. I've got an employee that needs off for a family reunion that weekend and I'm currently without a 2 wheel vehicle. Everyone ride safe and have a great time.

Shoot James - was looking forward to connecting. Well, take care, you're a good guy for giving the time to your staff!

Cheers,

Kirsten

As usual work has gotten into the way of me making this trip. I could sneak out for a couple days, but it's just doesn't make sense. I'll be contacting Red Roof so a room should be opening up. I plan to call them this am.

I really looked forward to this. Retirement is very close....one of these days I'll make one of the events.

Route Correction :eek:

Hi Folks,

It seems Garmin played with me when creating one of our routes and is trying to send us off into an area where there are no roads....I know you would love to blame me, but I can't take credit for this one. :rofl:

Thanks to Keith (cyclingkk) for finding it.

The route is 1 RRI-Lakes End 105.

When you turn right onto 107 from 281 and head north you should be going 5.5 miles before turning onto Speedwell Rd.

You can ignore Garmin telling you to turn earlier and let it recalculate, add a shaping point within the file you already have, or download the FART 2015 Correction file from the folder below. That file only has the corrected route, so you can replace the one you've already downloaded....you have downloaded the routes...haven't you? If not, the original complete route file is in the folder as well.

Click here for the folder with route files

Do you know of any iPhone app that will import routes from these files? I normally use Google Maps or MapQuest to plan routes, but haven't used shared routes before. And neither of these apps will create a map with turn-by-turn directions from these files -- although Google Maps will import a representation of the routes.

Ken, I use pocket earth on my iPad and then sent the route to my iPhone for turn by turn instructions. If I plot a course on basecamp, pocket earth imports it as a track and I have to the draw a route over the track but it doesn't take long and the vicarious ride helps me get charged up for the real thing, but then I'm a map nut since childhood. You can export a gpx file to basecamp from pocket earth if you want to play around with it.

Do you know of any iPhone app that will import routes from these files? I normally use Google Maps or MapQuest to plan routes, but haven't used shared routes before. And neither of these apps will create a map with turn-by-turn directions from these files -- although Google Maps will import a representation of the routes.

Navigon will do it, but I haven't messed with it much.

MotionX-GPS will import .gpx files. I've used it quite a bit for hunting and boating. There was a "Drive" version that had turn-by-turn abilities.

Thanks for the tips on importing the route files. I'm still trying.

I may end up entering the routes by hand, but I've looked at the files and it's hard to tell from the text exactly what the directions are. Is there a way to get a text listing of the turns and distances?

BTW, Motion-X says that Drive isn't available anymore. They've gotten out of the turn-by-turn direction business.

This event is in my back yard, so I'm familiar with just about every mile of the posted routes and they all look great.

I'd like to share one of my absolute favorite secret little stretches, shown below. Google Street View doesn't know it, but I've been on it several times and it's all great super-curvy pavement. At least it was about a year ago, last time I was there.

It connects Hot Springs to I-26 at Mars Hill, heading East from Hot Springs to Burnsville (or the opposite way). It's a must-ride, IMO.

Anyone wanting to do it can follow me. I'll be there at some point.

Hot%20Springs%20to%20Mars%20Hill_zps6ispwe5u.jpg

Archived