IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - 24-27 Sep 2015

TyTass

And apparently I didn't. :) Thanks for the explanation. You know I love Rush, though I couldn't win a game of Rush trivia. lol

You might. . . . what do you see here?

<a href=http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m540/indycar89/bike%20resized.jpg' alt='bike%20resized.jpg'>

[/img]

I might be wrong here and apologize if I am but if the NAV III is a Garmin 2820 you should be good to go. The 2820 was and still is a very good unit.

Be well.

Terry

You are correct, it is the same. I can see I'll be getting better acquainted with it ;)

You've been with the Board a while ... it'd be great to see you at one of these SE events. You'll definitely enjoy it. However, we know that one needs time to make the distance work out. Just remember to channel your inner "Bubba."

Thanks for the encouragement one and all. TyTass, I Rolled the Bones and Presto! I'm in! I have a room at the Red Roof and will be arriving Wed :thumbsup::clap:

I Rolled the Bones and Presto!

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

Neil Peart's Bike, June of this year (from his blog):

TW_cabin.jpg

My bike, June of 2014:

20140517_143650-M.jpg

Other than a couple of near front row concert seats over the years (didn't sit), that's about as close as I've come!

BTW - I see Snakes & Arrows, 2112, and evidence you spent time in Michigan off the bike burning calories in the dunes.

It looks like snakes and arrows and a man in a star? ;)

That's pretty good. The man in a star needs more specifics.. .. ..

So, at FART we won't be able to say

There's a blast from the past. I hope my participation in FART doesn't overwhelm others and serve as a lingering trail of my whereabouts. But if it does, I'm sure my wife would advise not to knock or enter if looking for Dave . . .

I Rolled the Bones and Presto!

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

Neil Peart's Bike, June of this year (from his blog):

TW_cabin.jpg

My bike, June of 2014:

20140517_143650-M.jpg

Other than a couple of near front row concert seats over the years (didn't sit), that's about as close as I've come!

BTW - I see Snakes & Arrows, 2112, and evidence you spent time in Michigan off the bike burning calories in the dunes.

Well played, Sir! I do remember that photo, where is it from? What did you think of the cabin?

You give me too much credit with the Dune Sand. M22 is one of my favorite roads (so far). Especially between Onekarma and Honor, MI and on to Sleeping Bear. It was a bit hazy when this photo was taken, but heading South near Onekarma, the road appears to fall a way into Lake Michigan.

<a href=http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m540/indycar89/lake%20mi%20on%20bike%20resized%202.jpg' alt='lake%20mi%20on%20bike%20resized%202.jpg'>

[/img]

where is it from? What did you think of the cabin?

It's at Two Wheels of Suches in Ga, which is a mandatory stop for me when I hit the Smokies. Below are pics of their main lodge as viewed from the campground, then from the street.

20140517_192844-S.jpg

20140517_193244-M.jpg

The little cabins were just built when I last visited. The room was nice - very simple, basic and quiet, particulary during my overcast rainy weekday visit.

20140517_142730-S.jpg

M22 is one of my favorite roads (so far)

If you haven't been on the Cherohala Skyway (always part of the Smokies rides), it will definitely make your top list. Load up "Countdown" on your player, press play, release clutch...

Lone_RT_rider

If you haven't been on the Cherohala Skyway (always part of the Smokies rides), it will definitely make your top list. Load up "Countdown" on your player, press play, release clutch...

Jake, I've ridden M22 a few times. While it's most definitely the best road in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, it is nooooo comparison to the Cherohala. Don't get me wrong, I definitely like riding M22 and look forward to the next time I can do so. But, I think M22 is more of a comparison to the Natches Trace up near Franklin and Brentwood than the Cherohala.

Shawn

Michigan ex-pat since 2004.

Lone_RT_rider

Jake, I've ridden M22 a few times. While it's most definitely the best road in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, it is nooooo comparison to the Cherohala. Don't get me wrong, I definitely like riding M22 and look forward to the next time I can do so. But, I think M22 is more of a comparison to the Natches Trace up near Franklin and Brentwood than the Cherohala.

Shawn

Michigan ex-pat since 2004.

And your right, he is going to LOVE the Cherohala!

I know M22 doesn't compare to many great motorcycle roads. I've been going to Frankfort, MI since I was a boy and I know that road like the back of my hand. For me and some riding buddies, we typically get away up there for a week of riding every year. That being said, I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons and riding opportunities. It's taken me too long to get involved with the many riding opportunities offered by this community and

I am lit up with anticipation for FART.

Ummmm Craig? You have me down for both the number 8 and the number 13 slot for Thursday arrival. Is this a fat joke? :eek::dopeslap:

I'm sure he's twice as happy to see you..yea that's it :thumbsup:

Ummmm Craig? You have me down for both the number 8 and the number 13 slot for Thursday arrival. Is this a fat joke? :eek::dopeslap:

I'm sure he's twice as happy to see you..yea that's it :thumbsup:

Nah! Not at all. I suppose I was just trying to make it look like there's more people coming to the party. I mean after all, it's not like I could have made a cut & paste error! ;)

Also in Friday thru Sunday. Brining along a buddy Russ B. who rides an RT. Russ has been to the Pikeville ride.

Looking forward to practicing my new RideSmart skills. And I'll have to bring along more of that Woodford Preserve Frank introduced me to. We all seemd to enjoy it out on the Little Switerland patio....some more than others.

I'm now coming to the party!

IN(Th-Su)+SO(Fr-Su)

Keith

Glad to have you back at these events, Keith. Although you don't have your BMW anymore, at east its no longer a Kbike! ;):rofl:

And it is an awesome looking ride! :thumbsup:

Also in Friday thru Sunday. Brining along a buddy Russ B. who rides an RT. Russ has been to the Pikeville ride.

Looking forward to practicing my new RideSmart skills. And I'll have to bring along more of that Woodford Preserve Frank introduced me to. We all seemd to enjoy it out on the Little Switerland patio....some more than others.

Sorry if I didn't partake of the WR, but I had my Elijah Craig. I will gladly help you with the WR during FART. I can guarantee there will be many other selections available.

Glad you can make it and are bringing yet another buddy into the flock (or shall I say returning another back to the flock). Hopefully, we'll have better weather than we did in Pikeville.

[You hear that, Glenn? Don't bring the danged rain cloud if you're coming!]

Sorry if I didn't partake of the WR, but I had my Elijah Craig. I will gladly help you with the WR during FART. I can guarantee there will be many other selections available.

Everybody PLEASE save some room for some Maker's Mark ... I will be lugging that enormous bottle so generously "donated" by Bud last Fall to Ashville and I have no intention of taking it back home! :/

Oh, and Craig... looks like Angela & I will also be departing at some point Saturday. She has other pals that live in Boone who have asked us to come stay with them Saturday night.

I'm sure that you'll make that a great ride up to Boone.

We'll have room for the MM. And BTW: you won't be hauling it home because you already have the perfect exit strategy! :rofl:

But if it makes you more comfortable, I hereby offer to take charge of the mondo bottle of Maker's Mark, since Bud is not planning, nor will he admit to planning, to come FART. Should he miraculously appear I will proffer said bottle to it's rightful owner ... minus some measure of it's contents. :grin:

Load up "Countdown" on your player, press play, release clutch...

Jake - you got nothing?

OK, even though it's only been a couple days since the last List posting, we've had a lot of changes in a short period of time, I'm posting again so people don't think I forgot about them.

i-HhVqTSk-XL.png

New guy in! Looking forward to meeting the East Coast group!

Steve

Welcome to Appalachian riding, Steve! No ... it's not Utah, but there's a whole lot of roads to get familiar with ...

SR-209, US-19W, SR-352, SR-80 (2 segments), SR-28 (3 segments), SR-197 (several segments), SR-226, SR-194, SR-226A, US-129 & The Dragon, the Cherohala ... and the list goes on ... and these are just some of the major, more well-known roads ... we aren't even going to go into the myriad back roads that are an absolute blast and far fewer people know about. And did I mention these are all but a short ride from Asheville? There are scads more further afield; north, south, and west.

Suffice it to say, you have a lot of riding to do while you're stationed back East. Enjoy your stay!

Load up "Countdown" on your player, press play, release clutch...

Jake - you got nothing?

Wouldn't even try to top that - it would cause too much unrest in the forest! I think you will find this story to be a pretty good day for a BMW rider.

I've read that before! It's a great story, well written and insightful/illustrative in ways Neil's blog entries aren't . :)

FARTERS have been very tolerant of the interruption / hijack and I agree, it's good to return to the regularly scheduled FART posts. Rest assured FARTERS, my interests and vocabulary are not limited to M22 or Rush.

[You hear that, Glenn? Don't bring the danged rain cloud if you're coming!]

Who have you been talking to? :rofl:

Yes, there exists the possibility of my FARTing.

As for rain, either it does or it doesn't, and we'll all just have to wait and see.

Wouldn't even try to top that - it would cause too much unrest in the forest! I think you will find this story to be a pretty good day for a BMW rider.

Nice. Even though I'm not a Rush fan, the whole story of getting to ride with someone you are a fan of, and see him in a much more human scale way, is outstanding. That, and the writer lives about ten miles from me...

Yes, there exists the possibility of my FARTing.

Understood Glenn, you need to wait. However, there's some information that I just was made aware of on this issue ...

MORE BLOCK RATE INFORMATION:

RESERVATION AFTER 8/24:

Even if there are rooms available just before the event (due to cancellations or whatever) ... this hotel chain does not automatically guarantee the block rates except those reserved before the block cut-off (8/24).

CANCELLATIONS:

Reservations can be canceled extremely late in the game with no loss (6:00pm same day ... go figure!)

It's always give & take with these motels, and they're all a bit different.

CURRENT BLOCK OF 35 ROOMS IS FULL:

As of right now, our block is again full. I know of only 1 person who definitely wants a room. While I can check to see if we could again increase our block by another couple rooms, considering our block period ends next 8/24 anyway ... I ask that anyone still needing a room simply post that they are looking to split a room with someone and also anyone looking to split a room with someone simply post that fact as well.

DAY RIDE ROUTES:

Ken has posted the Day Ride routes for you to download (in the two links below). There are two files, both GDB and GPX formats, so use whichever works with your software. In most cases either format would work.

FART 2015 Routes.GDB (Click Here)

FART 2015 Routes.GPX (Click Here)

RECEIVING GPS ROUTES FROM OTHERS

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following:

- Open the GDB or GPX file in your software

- Then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option)

- Change the color of all the Duplicate routes (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

- Note the mileage,

- Select the original route and click Re-calculate. The mileage should stay the same.

- If the route mileage is different:

-- Look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to.

-- You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the re-calculate Original route(s) onto your GPS.

Here it is ... the new "little twist" for the routes we've been referring to for quite a few months now ...

ROUTE SMARTS:

A game that will increase a player's awareness of local roads, landmarks, and lore.

The Cover page, Game Overview, Rules, and disclaimers are covered in the following four images (taken from the game booklet). So, if your browser/firewall settings are set such that you can't see embedded graphics (like mine are at work), you won't be able to see these pages until you view these posts via a connection that does allow images.

Fellow FARTers:

We have been talking about creating some sort of scavenger hunt game for some time, to play while running our various day rides during an event. In fact, we've heard several people express interest in some sort of similar game. So, we created Route Smarts and will run it during FART 2015 as a trial run.

There are two parts to the game ... the scavenger hunt and the match portion of the game. Please read the pages posted above for a complete understanding of the game, before asking questions.

Prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place finishers will be announced at the event. The tie-breaker criteria will also be announced at the event and will likely involve an element of chance.

If there is sufficient interest we may continue the game at later START/FART events. If not ... oh well, it was a nice try.

Thank you Ken and Craig for the routes.

Down loaded and starting to recalculate, hehehehe.

Rules read.

Will you be posting the booklet on line or hand them out at the event?

GAME QUESTION: Will you be posting the booklet on line or hand them out at the event?

ANSWER: The booklets will be handed out at the event by game proctor/judge (proctors/judges and times TBD), a player number will be assigned to each rider and recorded by proctor/judge.

Therefore, no one will be able to start the game on their way to the event, before I have arrived with the booklets, or before being assigned a number.

Thanks for the routes Kan and Craig. Downloaded to Basecamp and will load onto my GPS in slower time.

Haha :rofl: ... but remember Kan [sic] can ride WAY faster than me, so these routes will work for anyone!

Routes downloaded, imported into BaseCamp, recalculated, and reshaped! I did notice two of the routes appeared to navigate to unknown roads. Just a minor point. All routes are within 1 mile of the original.

Thanks for all the hard work Ken and Craig on everything. The Ride Smarts game should be fun. Lots of hours have been committed to this and it shows... :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Keith

Keith, I find that 1 mile off is usually the software is trying to send you on some small short cut near an intersection or something similar.

These routes have no dirt or gravel roads in them, so if your GPS tries to send you on some don't blame me ...blame Garmin. I know it's much more fun to acuse me of the sinister act and it happens every FART and START....I can take it :wave:

Archived