IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - 24-27 Sep 2015

TyTass

Well, this works! Jennifer and I will already be in the area (less than two hours away) so I'm thinking I might be a "Will Just Show Up and FART" person... it's been known to happen :)

Cheers,

Kirsten

If you do make it, please don't wash your bike first! Looking forward to witnessing that same IBR patina I remembered from seeing EB's ratty ol RT back in the day. You'll certainly be guest of honor, so if there's a campfire - real or virtual - the court will be yours...

If you do make it, please don't wash your bike first! Looking forward to witnessing that same IBR patina I remembered from seeing EB's ratty ol RT back in the day.

Sorry - spent three hours (yes, that long) going over the poor gal this past weekend just to be sure there wasn't anything falling off under all that goo! May lands, but I think she was dirtier this time than back in 2011 :) I'll see what I can do to put a patina on a bit again between now and our collective FART :rofl:

Lone_RT_rider
I'm thinking Shawn likes it too...

Ummm....eerrrrrr.... Why can't I get the yellow submarine song out of my head? :dopeslap:

Lone_RT_rider
Reservation made- in Thursday out Sunday a 4 day FART by my calculations.

Since I'm on the sticker.....me too. :) Suzanna has also conceded to be there, though she may come Friday night instead. TBD.

Shawn

Christine and I are in. Reservations made for Fri-Sun. Red Roof didn't have Thursday night available so we'll be staying downtown Thursday night....woop!

If you don't already have a place for Thursday, my wife & I stayed at the Princess Anne Hotel for our anniversary a few years back, and it was pretty stellar. Red Roof might be a bit of a comedown after that, but the owners are super cool, they have complimentary wine & cheese / snacks every evening, and the breakfast menu is among the best I've ever seen. The historic building is also a wide-plank floored knock-out. Just FWIW....

If you don't already have a place for Thursday, my wife & I stayed at the Princess Anne Hotel for our anniversary a few years back, and it was pretty stellar. Red Roof might be a bit of a comedown after that, but the owners are super cool, they have complimentary wine & cheese / snacks every evening, and the breakfast menu is among the best I've ever seen. The historic building is also a wide-plank floored knock-out. Just FWIW....

We're working on making more rooms available. There are almost always cancelations and last minute additions as well, so don't loose hope of FARTing with everyone on Thursday :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recommendation Fathom, I might have to file that one away for a future date. Using my Sheraton points this time (cheap :grin: )

We were planning on doing something downtown anyway, so the Thursday option works out great.

Yes, we are working on expanding our block but we don't have a definite answer yet. They may simply be completely full. We'll get back to you as soon as we have a definitive answer. I expect a response tomorrow, so hold aon a day or two if you can.

Otherwise, there are other hotels/motels very nearby the W Asheville RRI:

Immediately adjacent to the RRI property:

Comfort Inn Biltmore West (very new)

Rodeway Inn

A less than 0.25 mile walk away:

Sleep Inn Asheville - Biltmore West

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate), NC

Ramada Asheville / Biltmore West

On a related note, if anyone is planning on checking out the Biltmore (which is pretty amazing), I would recommend reserving (in advance) and taking the Architect's tour. It's way better and gets you into areas that the regular tour won't. Be advised, though, it's easy to spend 7 - 8 hours soaking up all that old-school opulence, especially if you save some energy to tour the gardens and the nature path, which is planted with exotic flora from around the world.

Craig, I hope you & Ken realize that after this past weekend there will be a lot of RideFarting going on around Asheville.

Just sayin'. :grin:

Craig, I hope you & Ken realize that after this past weekend there will be a lot of RideFarting going on around Asheville.

I'm sure the quality of our collective FARTing has been improved and that doesn't stink :wave:

I'm sure the quality of our collective FARTing has been improved and that doesn't stink :wave:

You know, there seemed to be a great deal of anticipation with regard to FARTing over the last few days. I might even go so far as to say that some were so anxious that they were FARTing in advance.

As evidenced by the RS check-in thread, of course.

Please pardon my ignorance. Other than FARTING, what does this time consist of as far as riding? Does the hotel just serve as a base and everyone rides out on their own ride and roads/trails or are there planned rides/routes/schedules or?

Thanks!

Please pardon my ignorance. Other than FARTING, what does this time consist of as far as riding? Does the hotel just serve as a base and everyone rides out on their own ride and roads/trails or are there planned rides/routes/schedules or?

Thanks!

Perfect timing for you to ask.

We always supply downloadable GDB and GPX files for routes. You don't have to ride them, but they are well researched with local knowledge of the roads and you'll be on the best roads in the area without having to do the research yourself.

Stay tuned for those routes to be posted soon as well as a little twist Craig and I have been working on :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Typically, the hotel serves as a base of operations and general gathering place. Since Ken and Craig are the organizers, there are bound to be an assortment of routes that riders can download into their GPS's and ride as is, or modify to suit. There are no scheduled rides, each person can choose to ride on their own, or try and find a like minded rider (or riders) and arrange to go out together. Very loose from an organizational standpoint, leaves it wide open for each rider to decide what they want to do.

In the evenings, there is much milling about and lying storytelling about how far/fast/well one rode during the day. Typically, adult beverages are consumed at this time as well, if one chooses.

A group dinner (TBA) will take place on Saturday evening, where more storytelling will occur.

For a little taste, you can wade through the START 2015 Check-in Thread . In amongst the folks checking in, there are pictures of all of the above.

Personally, I very much enjoy these events. Whether I ride with a few other folks, or go out on my own, as I did here - START 2014 , there are plenty of people to meet, whether it's your first event, or your tenth, there will be old friends and new folks. Pretty much all of them are friendly. :rofl:

OK, Ken types faster than I do, he also rides faster, so that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone!

Stay tuned for those routes to be posted soon as well as a little twist Craig and I have been working on :thumbsup:

How about a teenie little hint? :S:S

:lurk:

How about a teenie little hint? :S:S

:lurk:

NO!

Generally, some sort of group dinner (TBA) will take place on Saturday evening, where more storytelling will occur.

A slight correction ... because sometimes we just can't guarantee that restaurants will cooperate and we have to simply "wing it" and try to get most folks into a restaurant at roughly the same time.

OK, Ken types faster than I do, he also rides faster, so that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone!

No, but that has nothing to do with your speed. Ken rides like the Blue Flame when he's out FARTin'!

Thanks one and all! My Luddite NAV III I don't think has the will to upload routes, but I can't see that holding me back. FART is about as close as they get to my neck of the woods when it comes to BMWST rides :)

I'm a definite maybe. I need to check with the planner of all things. When she hears the title of the gathering, she'll no doubt think it's my destiny.

Thanks one and all! My Luddite NAV III I don't think has the will to upload routes, but I can't see that holding me back.

Sure it can. It's more about your will. I say this because Ken and Craig do a fantastic job putting together routes you don't want to miss. :thumbsup:

Generally, some sort of group dinner (TBA) will take place on Saturday evening, where more storytelling will occur.

A slight correction ... because sometimes we just can't guarantee that restaurants will cooperate and we have to simply "wing it" and try to get most folks into a restaurant at roughly the same time.

Sorry about that Craig, I checked the second post in the thread and it said "Saturday dinner plans and Routes to come", so that's what I was going off of.

WTA - If SWMBO gives you clearance, I highly recommend you wander down and FART!

Nothing to apologize for ... I was letting out a bit of info to keep expectations on par with reality.

Some of these restaurant owners so wont trust a group reservation ... because of cancellations ... and would rather trust walkins. I presume its because they can get the walkins. If so ... good for them. It just doesn't help us, unfortunately.

Thanks one and all! My Luddite NAV III I don't think has the will to upload routes, but I can't see that holding me back. FART is about as close as they get to my neck of the woods when it comes to BMWST rides :)

I'm a definite maybe. I need to check with the planner of all things. When she hears the title of the gathering, she'll no doubt think it's my destiny.

You've been with the Board a while ... it'd be great to see you at one of these SE events. You'll definitely enjoy it. However, we know that one needs time to make the distance work out. Just remember to channel your inner "Bubba."

Lone_RT_rider
Just remember to channel your inner "Bubba."

Inner Bubba? Did the location change from Asheville, NC to Pickens, SC? Inner Bubba... bah, more like Inner beatnik!

Inner Bubba? Did the location change from Asheville, NC to Pickens, SC? Inner Bubba... bah, more like Inner beatnik!

Beatnik? You're dating yourself.

Lone_RT_rider

Beatnik? You're dating yourself.

Yeah, as juuuuuuuust a bit younger than most of the members here. :D:dopeslap::rofl:

Thanks one and all! My Luddite NAV III I don't think has the will to upload routes, but I can't see that holding me back.

Sure it can. It's more about your will. I say this because Ken and Craig do a fantastic job putting together routes you don't want to miss. :thumbsup:

I so see a port on the back of the unit, so there may indeed be hope to load the files on the Nav3. The manual isn't very clear - it seems more interested in loading audio files.

You've been with the Board a while ... it'd be great to see you at one of these SE events. You'll definitely enjoy it. However, we know that one needs time to make the distance work out. Just remember to channel your inner "Bubba."

I've been around here long enough to have no excuses for not attending a get together. The last two years I haven't able to ride much at all for various reasons and my board participation fell off correspondingly.

MY calendar is open ;)

I was trying to get in on the RIDESMART, but missed out. Using that as leverage, I was given the green light to ride the BRP yet this year. The trick will be to try to get both trips in; my fallback position will be to offer to blend them into one.

"Bubba" is a reference to Neil Peart (a.k.a. Bubba). "Working Them Angels" is a bigtime RUSH fan. I was hoping he got the reference. ;)

Lone_RT_rider

"Bubba" is a reference to Neil Peart (a.k.a. Bubba). "Working Them Angels" is a bigtime RUSH fan. I was hoping he got the reference. ;)

And apparently I didn't. :) Thanks for the explanation. You know I love Rush, though I couldn't win a game of Rush trivia. lol

I did Sir! And good on ya! :thumbsup: When the Bubba thing started going in another direction, I decided it was a coincidence and let it go. Thank you for speaking up!

terryofperry

I might be wrong here and apologize if I am but if the NAV III is a Garmin 2820 you should be good to go. The 2820 was and still is a very good unit.

Be well.

Terry

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT 08/11/15 #1

There are now 5 more standard double rooms added to our block. The first 5 people (or up to 10 people splitting those five rooms) who want to join us can now call and make their reservations.

Call: 828-667-9803

Group #: B146BMWST5

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT 08/11/15 ... #2

Since choosing W. Asheville as the venue for FART 2015, several of us have been discussing doing something we can't do when we're at a location out in the boonies. So, we thought it we should just get a bunch of folks to head into town Thursday evening for some dinner and/or adult beverages.

The plan? Well, there is no plan and there won't be a plan except this ... simply make your way to:

Wicked Weed Brewing

91 Biltmore Ave Asheville, NC.

They have:

- A nice selection of craft beers, great burgers, several nice entrees

- Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating (the outdoor fire pit is particularly nice for hanging out) ... and I'm thinking it is unlikely they will be very busy on a Thursday night in late Sept.

It's a 7 mile taxi or Uber ride from Red Roof Inn W. Asheville. So, for those interested arriving Thursday afternoon or sooner, get a small group of folks together and head into town and let's take over Wicked Weed Brewing that night!

FYI: Event Announcement #2 is NOT the "little twist" that Ken and I have been working on. That announcement will be posted at a later date.

I might be wrong here and apologize if I am but if the NAV III is a Garmin 2820 you should be good to go. The 2820 was and still is a very good unit.

Be well.

Terry

I use a 2730 for all of the Scouting I do and it's been great. It doesn't have a battery like you Zumo riders have, but then again it doesn't have the problems either :rofl:

I upload Routes and Waypoints and download Tracks, so I think you have a unit that is capable.

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT 08/11/15 ... #2

Since choosing W. Asheville as the venue for FART 2015, several of us have been discussing doing something we can't do when we're at a location out in the boonies. So, we thought it we should just get a bunch of folks to head into town Thursday evening for some dinner and/or adult beverages.

The plan? Well, there is no plan and there won't be a plan except this ... simply make your way to:

Wicked Weed Brewing

91 Biltmore Ave Asheville, NC.

They have:

- A nice selection of craft beers, great burgers, several nice entrees

- Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating (the outdoor fire pit is particularly nice for hanging out) ... and I'm thinking it is unlikely they will be very busy on a Thursday night in late Sept.

It's a 7 mile taxi or Uber ride from Red Roof Inn W. Asheville. So, for those interested arriving Thursday afternoon or sooner, get a small group of folks together and head into town and let's take over Wicked Weed Brewing that night!

Checked it out on Yelp. Looks like a great idea, Craig. It's in my calendar.

Archived