IGNORED

Buy a used RT rental bike?

RTJohn

Has anyone bought a used rental bike? I'm looking around for another RT. There are a lot used rental bikes for sale. The prices seem reasonable. They're mostly lower mileage. I have my eye on a 2013 RT with less than 30k miles. Looks good. I chatted with the rental shop. They said it's been well maintained. I even like the color.

First thing that comes to mind is "Ride it like you stole it!"

Actually though, if you consider the prices they charge to rent a bike (and thus, the clientele), they probably haven't been abused. It might not be a bad way to go. A friend of mine only buys used rental cars and swears by them.

The one thing to consider is that buttheads, squids or pirates would never in their right mind rent a BMW. Harleys, Gold Wings, etc., but NEVER a BMW, God forbid!

So anybody that would rent a BMW probably not abuse it. Run it hard, sure, but not abuse it. I would be more about how the rental shop maintained it. How often oil changes, what type of oil, brakes flush, etc.?

The one thing to consider is that buttheads, squids or pirates would never in their right mind rent a BMW. Harleys, Gold Wings, etc., but NEVER a BMW, God forbid!

So anybody that would rent a BMW probably not abuse it. Run it hard, sure, but not abuse it. I would be more about how the rental shop maintained it. How often oil changes, what type of oil, brakes flush, etc.?

Rented a Camhead RT in Scottsdale for the BJ Auction and visiting friends, it had less than 25K miles and all the bodywork was beat up but it did ride fine. But it used a lot of oil (they sent me out with an extra quart) so I'd definitely inspect it closely and study the complete maintenance history. Personally, with buy back Wetheads around at ~$16K that have warranty I think it's a no-brainer to go that route (but understand trying to save some bucks).

Personally, with buy back Wetheads around at ~$16K that have warranty I think it's a no-brainer to go that route (but understand trying to save some bucks).

Um, $16k for a 2014 RTW? Really? Viewing Cycle Trader Online shows just 18 units listed nationwide with lowest advertised price used being $18.5k and up from there. I too have been shopping for a low mileage camhead RT to replace my pristine (sig) older RT. Absolutely no issues with it - simply want newer technology without cost of a new wethead RT.

Think all the buybacks are listed on Cycle Trader? Not. Make some dealer calls. I knew of two local to me last month. And there's nothing wrong with a good Camhead so that's a possibility as well.

I chatted up one of the guys at the rental shop. He says the BMWs they have are maintained by the local BMW shop which around the corner. He did confess that they had replaced the valve covers once or twice. The side cases were replaced with black city type cases for rental customers. The color side cases were never installed and are part of the deal.

Theoretically, a 2013 should still be under warranty.

Use as a rental bike may have voided that, however, so maybe useful to check.

Work for Eagle Rider, and all of the bikes are always getting tipped over and scraped up. Often experienced riders just aren't familiar with a particular bike. That's why they rent em. We fix em, paint em, and send them back out..... If the customer only knew. The bikes are maintained by the book, and we always ask the customer if the bike had any issues. If there were defects they were addressed, as we always want the customer to have a good rental.

I would imagine that a rental bike comes with greater risk if not well maintained. Unlike a rental car where an oil change may go unnoticed for many miles past the due point. Therefore any bike rental company or even touring company that rents bikes would need to keep them in top shape or face some steep law suits if an accident happened.

That said, it seems like a great deal and I wish when I purchased such a deal was to be found. Good luck and be safe.

Archived