IGNORED

2014 RT-LC Left handlebar switch cluster

BarryBeemer

BarryBeemer

Heading North out of Sacramento today, there were gremlins lurking or stray electrons playing with the switch cluster on the left handlebar. Not sure if I just discovered the anomolies sequentially or if it was a "cascading" failure.

First, the cruise control wouldn't engage. Then I noticed that the neither turn signal would activate. Horn was inop and the windshield position was not adjustable. The high beam was inop as well. I also had no control over any menus and could not change the menus with the whiz wheel....stuck on XM radio.

I pulled into a rest area to shut down, depower and "CTRL-ALT-DEL" the computer. Tried it a couple of times to no avail and pressed on to Shasta Lake to pay a visit to the folks at Russell Day-Long. The bike was off for about 30 minutes and went out to check it one more time. Fired up and everything was back to normal.

I'm spending the night in Medford, OR (home of the closest dealer) to try to get a fault code readout in the morning and hunt those little buggers/gremlins down. I had heard of problems with switch quality, but it seems like more of a computer input issue to me. Maybe just a loose connector? ( I know just enough to be dangerous about this kind of thing.)

Any input, suggestions, thoughts or stories of the same thing happening to you? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Slyder_Steve

I took my RT in for her initial service this week and they told me there's a recall on the handlebar microswitches. They described the failure mode just as you experienced. Parts are on order...

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
BarryBeemer

Dealer found several fault codes that could be related to the issue. Reset all faults, made notes in my record of what they found. Have had no problems since that one episode, but can't duplicate it for the dealer either. My VIN number is not covered under the service campaign for the switch cluster. Hmmmmmmm

Archived