START 2015 Check In

Bernie

Home Friday around 6 PM after a great 520 mile ride, with some planned detours in N Georgia.

40 degrees in the morning, 85 by the time I got to Florida.

Bike and weather where perfect and so was the company. GPS acted up a few times.

It was great to see a lot of friends again and nice to meet some new faces. Good turn out.

Thank you Ken and Craig for organizing a great event. Looking forward to FART 2015.

Back in Atlanta.

It was great to see everyone and it seems Dillard was a success all the way around.

I look forward to FARTing with you all in a few months.

I may have to make a 2nd logo that says "I almost FARTed" for the posers...maybe a bike on a trailer :rofl:

RandyShields

In by 2 after a short 260 mi ride via Highlands, the BRP (opened back up) and breakfast at the Pisgah Inn. Beautiful scenery at 7-8 am. While leaving after breakfast, I ran into a solo rider, fully loaded up on an 800 GS. I didn't know it was a woman until she took off her helmet and came over to talk. Seems there was an MOA rally of about 100 riders staying at Fontana Village. That is probably why we saw so many other BMWs this weekend. Thanks to Ken and Craig with the routes, hotel and meal planning, and Chris K/Joel for making feel like an inadequate rider again. It was great to catch up with everyone, and hope to do it again this fall.

Randy

lawnchairboy

Home. Right Spin YouTube page has vids.

Enjoyed it, those who missed it missed a nice little hotel and catered dinner.

Bill Murray

Left Dillard at 7:10 a.m., arrived back home in Wilmington, NC at 3:45 p.m.

Craig and Ken -- Thanks for another great START! Looking forward to this fall's FART event.

Home about 3:15. Nothing exciting about the drive home other than I managed 38.5mpg out of the Corolla. Not bad for the old girl.

Thanks Ken and Craig.....great get together. I'd definitely go back.

And a big thanks to Bill for letting me break your Husky

Home around 3 PM after another great day of riding. Thanks to Craig and Ken for putting this event together at another killer location.

Left the parking lot at 6:45, pulled into my driveway 610 miles later, at 3:45.

The good riding and socializing while in Dillard were outstanding!

Thanks to Ken, Craig, and of course Terry, who had to manage Craig...:rofl:

I am home safe as well. I had an awesome time planning my ride. In a couple weeks I plan on going up and actually riding the route :-) missed you all, hopefully see you at FART.

In by 2 after a short 260 mi ride via Highlands, the BRP (opened back up) and breakfast at the Pisgah Inn. Beautiful scenery at 7-8 am. While leaving after breakfast, I ran into a solo rider, fully loaded up on an 800 GS. I didn't know it was a woman until she took off her helmet and came over to talk. Seems there was an MOA rally of about 100 riders staying at Fontana Village. That is probably why we saw so many other BMWs this weekend. Thanks to Ken and Craig with the routes, hotel and meal planning, and Chris K/Joel for making feel like an inadequate rider again. It was great to catch up with everyone, and hope to do it again this fall.

Randy

Fontanta MOA Getaway Weekend

RandyShields

Cool. Thanks. For all the years I've been going up there, that is one place I've never stayed. Looks to be pretty close to some good roads.

Randy

Lone_RT_rider

Left the Dillard location at an ungodly early time of 10 AM this morning. After a grueling 1 hour 20 minute ride we were back at Suzannas place. Thanks to Ken and Craig for another amazing weekend. And a special thanks to the entire BMWST.com crew for making Suzanna feel so welcome. :)

Home at 5. Last 3 hours were pretty hot so considering trailering to the UN.

Thanks Ken and Craig for a great event.

home at 6 pm. all is well, found my key :grin: right where i left it.

in the ignition?

No Matt, Roger will tell you one day over a special beverage you will have to buy him. LOL

:rofl:

Made it back around 6, front tire still intact. I tried to follow Alan's advice of sticking to the slab with that crooked tire, but I just couldn't find the interstate :-)

Had a great time with you guys, as always. Great riding, and great visiting with friends old and new. Looking forward to FART, and excited about the change in format. Cheers, y'all!

Late start home ... multiple stops on the way to include a somewhat lengthy visit to the upcoming FART venue ... it'll work, folks.

We had a fabulous time visiting with everyone and riding with quite a few of you. So happy so many could make it. Hope to see you all at FART as well as the many who had to cancel last minute and others who just couldn't make it.

You all are what makes a successful event regardless of where we hold the event or a group meal! The event is us getting together, riding, and chatting (said lying).

Pictures to follow this week.

Another great START! Thank you again Ken and Craig. Dillard, hotel, and Saturday dinner were perhaps the best location and cost/benefit ratio we have had since my first BMWST event in that area in 2003!

I had 3 great days of riding and fellowship thanks to being able to follow along with first Bernie, then Terry,and then Chris K!

Departed at 6:30, 555 miles to home at 4:30 PM. Did just over 3,500 miles on my DC - Florida - Dillard - DC route.

Joe Frickin' Friday
IMG_0400-XL.jpg

Well, at least one of you is looking through the turn. :grin: (just funnin.)

That doesn't look like Deals Gap. Who took the pic, and where?

Slumgullion

Great job Ken and Craig! Super venue with all the amenities nearby. Thanks for all your hard work we get to enjoy. I was following Chris home until his Garmin gave out and I had to lead. Some how we made it back! Shawn finally I got to meet Susana, you could only protect her for so long!

...Looking forward to FART, and excited about the change in format...

I had to cancel at the last minute. Pray tell, what's this change in format?

Lone_RT_rider

That was taken in the Cherohala by some company called 123photo or something like that. Suzanna downloaded them for me. :)

Shawn

Paging Ken and Craig to the white courtesy telephone! :clap:

Lone_RT_rider

That was taken in the Cherohala by some company called 123photo or something like that. Suzanna downloaded them for me. :)

Shawn

Correction, it was US 129 Photos when they where camped out on the skyway on Friday April 24th.

Shawn

Now you know we wouldn't tell you so far in advance :wave:

Look for the FART announcement soon, then we'll loosen up a little as we get ready to FART.

"Change in format" is a bit of an overstatement. Ken's original goal was to vary the locations from event to event. That remains our goal. The reason for varying the locations is to make different road sets available - to keep the riding and the event fresh for everyone (including us!). Primarily, we look for single-entity owned motels (Mom & Pop's motels when possible) out in small country towns that have amenities within easy (hopefully) walking distance.

So, what's this change everyone is talking about? Well, there will be a FART 2015 thread posted sometime this week but I'll shed a little bit of light on it now. First difference, well ... it's a chain. However, that's that's no huge deal because we've been to chains before. No, what's really is different about this next venue is that it's location is not in some small country town. Instead, FART 2015 will be held in West Asheville!

Now you know we wouldn't tell you so far in advance :wave:

Look for the FART announcement soon, then we'll loosen up a little as we get ready to FART.

Ken, we already spilled the beans, so I thought we might as well tell them where we're going to FART.

Craig, I was holding back on the other element we were working on. I thought that was what you were referring to.

Back in Atlanta.

It was great to see everyone and it seems Dillard was a success all the way around.

I look forward to FARTing with you all in a few months.

I may have to make a 2nd logo that says "I almost FARTed" for the posers...maybe a bike on a trailer :rofl:

In!

:wave:

Can I have two?

:dopeslap:

Thanks, Craig and Ken.

I had told you, Craig, several weeks back that I had a three-week trip planned for Italy in September and wondered what the dates for FART might be. I concluded I wouldn't be able to make it, but I'm re-examining that, given my wife's recent accident and knee surgery. Still too early to know whether we can still go to Italy, but I thought I'd keep FART in the back of my mind at least. I suspect by then that I'll be in dire need of some riding time, since I suspect I won't be doing much of it in the short to medium term.

StretchMark

Sure enjoyed our very brief visit with everyone. Looking forward to RIDING to Asheville. Microbrew, belly dancing and drum circles....what could go wrong??. Big-t, Kenny, Jim, David, Itchy...you listening?

StretchMark

I'll have to dig up some pics and videos for you. But just picture big-t doing his whirling dervish dance in the middle of the big downtown Asheville hippy trippy drum circle.

I'll have to dig up some pics and videos for you. But just picture big-t doing his whirling dervish dance in the middle of the big downtown Asheville hippy trippy drum circle.

I think there's a new book for Ernie in that...

Here are our pics from START 2015 Dillard GA:

DSC_1099-XL.jpg

^ Lake Hiwassee

DSC_1111-XL.jpg

^ Thumbs up from Shawn, Suzanna, and a wave from Dan, with me sitting rather schlumpily on Hiwassee Dam (Terri behind the camera).

DSC_1114-XL.jpg

^ Chris & Alan cheesin' it up and having fun.

DSC_1128-X2.jpg

^ Keith contemplating the sound of the word Pabst.

DSC_1134-XL.jpg

^ Some of the 30 + bikes ready at START.

DSC_1138-XL.jpg

^ Dick and his K16, Larry, and me talking about K16s ... imagine that.

DSC_1140-XL.jpg

^ Mike enjoying a smoke (one of the few times his mouth moves and lies aren't spewing forth).

Archived