IGNORED

Low fuel warning light.

DavidMantle

DavidMantle

For the first time in ages I let my fuel level run low. Low enough to remove ALL the bars from the fuel gauge on RID. The low level light used to come on many moons ago but today it didn`t . Any suggestions as to where to look?

My bike is a 1997 R1100RT by the way.

szurszewski

Well, it's either mechanical or electrical. I'd start with mechanical because, well, electricity is like magic to me.

The low fuel light is separate from the fuel level system and is activated by a float/arm in the tank. Possible for that arm to get hung up. Have you been inside the tank for anything since the last time you saw your low fuel light?

Someone else will be along I'm sure to help with the electrical side of things.

Good luck!

josh

Afternoon David

First thing to suspect is that your main fuel gauge is not real accurate & you didn't run the tank low enough to bring on the low-fuel light. (you might have to take some extra fuel with you then ride it some more)

Otherwise it might be low fuel float hanging up on a wire or hose inside the tank (very easy to do during a fuel filter change)

Or there is a connection issue somewhere in the low fuel light circuit.

DavidMantle

Have not been inside tank as yet . Bought the bike a year ago and PO had it fully serviced shortly beforehand.

Fixed mine this week but it was the damping relay and the light was stuck ON. The PO cut the lamp wire in the dash which I had repaired first.

The low level ckt is pin 4 (wt,bl) to ground pin 1 (bn) on the fuel tank harness. Check for continuity there with tank empty, if no, problem is in tank.

Do you still have the charcoal canister still on your bike. This thing will clog and cause the fuel tube inside the tank to collapse which will not allow the ball to float up and down thereby not giving any fuel reading. I disassembled mine and ran a bar slightly smaller than the tube to restore it's shape put it back together and it worked fine. Problem is it will do it again if you don't replace or remove canister. See video.

Afternoon jbuck10

Unfortunately that ONLY effects the main fuel gauge reading & not his low fuel light operation.

The Low Fuel Light has it own separate float assembly not associated with the fuel level tube.

DavidMantle

Thanks for the help everyone. Since I needthe bike to commute I have to fuel her this morning. Is there any way to check with a full tank or do I have to remove it.? And NO with the charcoal filter.

I can live with the no light issue so long as I can ascertain the problem.

DavidMantle

Tank holds 26 Litres ( according to the Manual )- about 5 and 1/2 Imperial Gallons. I usually get between 250 and 275 mikes to a tank when I am out riding with the wife.

DavidMantle
Afternoon David

First thing to suspect is that your main fuel gauge is not real accurate & you didn't run the tank low enough to bring on the low-fuel light. (you might have to take some extra fuel with you then ride it some more)

Otherwise it might be low fuel float hanging up on a wire or hose inside the tank (very easy to do during a fuel filter change)

Or there is a connection issue somewhere in the low fuel light circuit.

You may be right but when I filled her last night she took a lot less than expected - 13 ltrs as against the expected 20+ . Since then ( this afternoon after work ) I went for a ride of about 100 miles -- the gauge now reads just over half, which is about right , so am a bit baffled. I`ll run this tank down ( carrying a gallon in a can as reserve ) then see how it goes . It is always possible it might be one of those problems that sort themselves out over time.

If there is extra resistance in the under-tank electric connection your fuel level will show low. I would disconnect the gas tank electric plug - it's on the right side of the bike tucked beneath the throttle body near the tank hold down bolt. Open it up and spray electric contact cleaner into both parts, male and female. Run them together and apart a few times and spray again.

Om your original post, how many miles did you run the tank down until your fuel level showed no bars. Typical RT would show low fuel warning around 1 or 2 bars, but if your level indicator was off it could go to no bars but still have 2 or 3 liters in the tank.

Archived