Why do I need an 04 RT when I have a new 2015 GS

Cedarone

Have a new GSW with about 1200 miles on it and love it. I have been drooling over the older RT, 04 for several years and almost purchased one last year. Just met a guy who moved to my town and got talking with himj. He has an immaculate 04 Titan Gray RT with 10,000 miles of it and wants to sell or trade it for something lighter. I rode it yesterday and really like it. I know that the 1150 RT's have the wizzy brakes and some other issues that the newer ones don't have but I love the looks of the 1150 RT.

Have a new GSW with about 1200 miles on it and love it. I have been drooling over the older RT, 04 for several years and almost purchased one last year. Just met a guy who moved to my town and got talking with himj. He has an immaculate 04 Titan Gray RT with 10,000 miles of it and wants to sell or trade it for something lighter. I rode it yesterday and really like it. I know that the 1150 RT's have the wizzy brakes and some other issues that the newer ones don't have but I love the looks of the 1150 RT.

Buy it. :D

Your points fit me to a T, except I have an RTW. I also have an '04 RT (former CHP bike) that I have in large part because I've always thought the 1150RT's were the best-looking of all the RT's (and I've own all of them at one time or another). Also my favorite daily commuter for the way it handles Wash., DC traffic -- just a grin-generating bike. No cruise control or today's electronics and power, but one of the most enjoyable, best all-around balance of engine/brakes/handling/weather protection/carrying capacity bikes I've ever owned.

But no bias here. :rofl:

The mission of those two bikes is too similar. If you're going to get a second bike, get something different. A sportbike? A small dualsport?

The mission of those two bikes is too similar. If you're going to get a second bike, get something different. A sportbike? A small dualsport?

That assumes the OP's objective is to have something different. Doesn't sound like that is the case here.

I didn't want a different type of bike, I wanted another sport-tourer (in my case, so I could have both bike be capable of handling my daily office commute and touring), and I've always been drawn to the '04 RT (as it appears the OP is).

No reason to exclude a bike from the garage because it isn't "different enough."

No reason to exclude a bike from the garage because it isn't "different enough."

Kinda agree with this. What appeals to you appeals to you, and if that means you would relish the "Hmm, which mileage-eating BMW shall I ride today?" moment in your garage, then go for it. The bikes are different enough to incite pride of ownership wars on this board. If you buy it, you are getting what many say is the best year of the 1150s.

Buy it, if you don't you will regret it later. If you get it and then decide on one or the other sell the other. You probably will decide to keep both and that is a good thing. I have a HD where I spend the winter that I bought new 15 years ago. I got tired of not having a bike during the Northwest summers so I decided to try a BMW and bought an 110RT last summer. Love it so much I decided to buy another to replace the HD. Got a terrific deal on an 02 1150RT and then decided I really didn't want to sell the HD just because I have had it so long. Now have 3 bikes and have been thinking about selling the 1100RT but the nonsense overcomes common sense and I still have all 3!

FWIW, Riding buddy has a black 04RT with 130,000 miles on it, goes over 100mph regular like and its still going Strong = he plans on riding it into the ground.

Despite some of the issues related to the '02 thru '04 model years, I love mine 1150RT and' can't imagine it not being part of my stable. These bikes really are dependable and beautiful, too!

Now, if I could only get my friends to talk me down off the Ducati ledge I'll be fine (and so will my wallet!!).

ElevenFifty

Just got back from 2-up 1200 miler on my '04. Currently 154K on the clock and runs just fine. I have been aggressive about preventive maintenance and also intend to ride it for quite a while longer.

04 RT's are arguably the best of the 1150 range. Whizzy brakes are amazing and have minimal problems if serviced (brake fluid flush)

My brother in law just picked up an immaculate model in blue (slowest color) with 90k on the clock. We put new Michelin's on it last Saturday and it's gorgeous. Runs perfect and suspended with Ohlins and a sweet Sargent seat.

He loves it.

My Titan Silver (fastest color) with 70k runs flawless as well. It's almost as pretty as my '74 R90s but does so many things so well that I'm constantly impressed at it's capabilities.

I don't see me upgrading for another 10 years at least.

If you can get this bike, with 10k for a decent price........

RPG

04 RT's are arguably the best of the 1150 range.

The last of any generation of BMW is always the best. Big facelift in the middle of the run, but little improvements all the time.

I presently own both a 2004 RT and a 2009 RT. I was going to sell the 04 but I think I like it better than the 09. My 04 Black Beauty simply has more character. I do prefer my 09 for two-up riding. The 09's extra power, better suspension, and somewhat better brakes make a difference for two-up. But when riding solo I always choose the 04 and I won't be parting with it anytime soon, and maybe never.

I presently own both a 2004 RT and a 2009 RT. I was going to sell the 04 but I think I like it better than the 09. My 04 Black Beauty simply has more character.

+1

I had a 2009 RT and a 2012 RT (now my wife's). Just never felt "connected" to the hexhead/camhead RTs like I do my '04.

I have for a long time thought the R1150RT was the best looking bike BMW ever made and maybe the best looking bike ever made. In 2010 I bought a low mileage 04 RT and in the last five years it has been a pleasure to ride. The styling of the R1200RT never appealed to me and the latest RT just looks weird with it's way to big fairing. I really don't mean to offend anyone who owns one of the new bikes and maybe the styling will grow on me in time, but it was love at first sight with the R1150RT.

and the latest RT just looks weird with it's way to big fairing. I really don't mean to offend anyone who owns one of the new bikes

No offense taken -- I own an R12RTW despite its fairing arriving at a location five minutes before the rest of the bike.

From a technical standpoint, the RTW is the best boxer I've ever ridden -- from a beauty standpoint, well I have an R1150RT to cover that base! :D

A bit over a year ago, I owned a 2003 R1150GS with a 2004 R1150RT as a garage companion and then bought a new R1200GS LC. From then on, each time I rode the RT or the older GS, I found myself wanting more from them. After a month or two, I reduced my bike numbers down to one and kept only the new R1200GS LC.

The R1150RT offered the best cold/wet weather protection of any bike that I've ridden but given that most of my riding is done in a warmer climate, the GS does everything.

But I have to admit, the R1150RT in Titan Silver is on the top of my most sexy bikes list.

Archived