Fuel Return Volume Test- Sticky? DIY? etc

blsexton

Team, is there a sticky or EASY (aka even I can figure it out...) to follow DIY on how to conduct a fuel return volume test?

Thank you,

Morning blsexton

The simple return fuel flow test is to disconnect the return fuel hose connection (about mid hose), then plug the hose end going forward to the fuel tank, then stick the (open) return hose coming from the rear into a container (a gallon water or milk jug works good).

If your bike has quick disconnects then you either need to manually hold the internal check valve open, or use a mating quick disconnect to allow fuel flow, or remove the rear quick disconnect)

Now start the engine & allow it to idle for about 1 minute.

First, you need to see fuel flow coming out of the rear return hose (that means the fuel pump is meeting the pressure requirement to open the pressure regulator (somewhere in the 43 psi range).

Then you should get about 2 quarts (+/-) of return fuel in that 1 minute engine run. (basically you want to see a nice stream of fuel returning through the fuel return hose)

If no (or very little) return fuel flow noted then you probably have a leak in the high pressure side hoses inside the fuel tank, or a bad fuel pump (not very likely) or a severely plugged fuel filter. (in any case it warrants a fuel tank removal & internal hose/pump/filter inspection)

Took apart the tank and found that the hose as shown in the far left had the entire coating around it 'crumbled' off. You can see where the hose clamp is the tiny bit of outer coating that was once around the entire hose. I'm guessing that may be the problem, but still not 100% sure, thoughts?

Other questions:

The metal tube looking like it is sticking into the fuel pump screen, should it be as it is or connected or capped off?

Also, there is something that feels like a spring inside the fuel pump mesh, is that correct?

Thanks for any help you may have.

IMG_20150424_155626685_HDR_zps11bvu1sk.jpg

Stan Walker

Guess where all the little pieces of your fuel hose are now!!!!!

Yikes!!!!!

The metal support tube is just fine.

The spring in the sock is correct, keeps it from collapsing.

The hose? Not so good. Probably started as the wrong type (non submersible). Be hard to tell, all the writing on the outside of the hose is LONG GONE.

Time to clean tank, new hoses, new filter, new sock, and maybe new fuel pump. Hopefully none of it made it past the filter to the injectors.

Stan

Do you have an external fuel filter?

And as suggested, replace the sock. I found one that fit at NAPA.

Also, be sure to use 30r10 submersible hose, unless you are buying OEM parts. I bought a 12" piece of that hose at my local parts store this week, $30.

good luck man

Already have the external fuel filter mod.

Went to dealership and they sold me the hose that is correct to be used inside the fuel tank, and a couple new gaskets for the tank-to-pump connection.

Found a nice fuel pump and its on the way.

Fished all the extra fallen hose shielding/outer coating out of the tank and just waiting on the rest of the parts and should be all ready to re-assemble. What a PITA but glad it 'should' be this....fingers crossed!

roger 04 rt

Unfortunately you found a great example of using the wrong hose inside the tank.

Have you ordered the smaller vent hoses? If not, it would be a good idea while the tank is apart. When they fail, you get water in the tank or fuel leaking into the canister, or fuel running on the floor, or all of the above.

There is a sticky for the return volume test. It's in a forum here called: HOW TO & WHERE TO > Do It Yourself > ____Miscellaneous > R1150 Fuel System Diagnostic Tool.

Good luck with the rebuild.

RB

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately you found a great example of using the wrong hose inside the tank.

Have you ordered the smaller vent hoses? If not, it would be a good idea while the tank is apart. When they fail, you get water in the tank or fuel leaking into the canister, or fuel running on the floor, or all of the above.

There is a sticky for the return volume test. It's in a forum here called: HOW TO & WHERE TO > Do It Yourself > ____Miscellaneous > R1150 Fuel System Diagnostic Tool.

Good luck with the rebuild.

RB

Hmmmm....I wonder how long it would take the *wrong type* of hose to dissolve.

Indy - 60 minutes clock tick....tick...tick>

(don't ask why I'm asking lol)

Morning Indy

Depends on__

How hot the fuel is in the tank\

What additives are in the fuel\

How much alcohol is in the fuel\

How many pressure cycles\

What type of "wrong type" of hose you used\

The phase of the moon & stars! (how unlucky you are)

Morning Indy

Depends on__

How hot the fuel is in the tank\

What additives are in the fuel\

How much alcohol is in the fuel\

How many pressure cycles\

What type of "wrong type" of hose you used\

The phase of the moon & stars! (how unlucky you are)

Wellllllll...crud. I looked a leftover piece I have in my parts bins from when I moved the filter to outside the tank. It's SAE30R9. Dated 2002. Looks like I'm livin on borrowed time. Now that I know it'll fail tomorrow.

Indy

Wellllllll...crud. I looked a leftover piece I have in my parts bins from when I moved the filter to outside the tank. It's SAE30R9. Dated 2002. Looks like I'm livin on borrowed time. Now that I know it'll fail tomorrow.

Indy

Morning Indy

SAE30R9 is a decent fuel injection rated hose (depends on the integrity of the company that makes it though.)

That hose should be fine for any external (outside the tank) applications. It just isn't rated as a submersible hose so anything you used that hose for INSIDE the tank should be re-done when you get a chance.

Using the wrong clamps (like cheap screw clamps) will shorten the hose life even more as they dig into the hose outer covering allowing fuel permeation into & between the inner layers.

Archived