IGNORED

04 R1150RT, Which belt?

RoanokeRider

RoanokeRider

I have a 2004 R1150RT that I need to change the alt belt on. If I remember correctly some of the early 04 could have either belt. How do I tell which one I need? The build date is shown as 0403 on the steering head. Not sure if that shows an April 03 date or a March 04.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Hello, Bill -

One place you can go is *MaxBMW Fiche* .

See the little box at the top where you can enter the last 7 digits of your vin. Takes you to parts for your specific bike.

RoanokeRider

Other Lee, I checked as you suggested and it looks like I have the older belt, 4PK611. The fische recomends checking the belt for the number as it seems to vary on the early twin spark bikes. Wow, looks like they were making 04's in April, 03. Thanks for the info.

Afternoon Bill

ALL BMW 1150RT's with the free wheeling alternator pulley's take the later Elastomer belt. (your 04 has the free wheeling pulley)

Some early 1150's came from the factory with the free wheeling alternator pulley & the old Poly-V belt BUT per BMW service bulletin that Poly-V is to be replaced with the Elastomer belt at first belt change.

That is the easy part, (IF) your bike came wit a poly-V belt it needs the Elastomer belt BUT the adjustment procedure is different for the Elastomer belt as the Elastomer belt tension is set by pulley spacing not belt tension so the 1/4 twist & alternator adjustment torque settings won't work for the Elastomer belt (in fact you will probably strip the adjustment mechanism if you use it to TRY to set the correct pulley spacing.

dirtrider

All 04R1150RT's did not come with the free wheeling pulley. My 04 RT manufactured March of 03 has the standard pulley. According to the MAX BMW parts fiche, the date for 04 RT free wheeling pulleys started in July of 03. I always tell the parts clerk that I want a belt for an 03 when I go get mine.

You can check you manufacture date here. http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

RoanokeRider

How do I tell a free wheeling pulley from a stanrd one with the belt in place? Would like to make sure befor I order one.

Thanks'

I've seen an image somewhere on the internet of the freewheeling pulley but I can't find it now. If you can still read the belt number on your old belt, the belt for the freewheeling pulley will be a 4PK592. The non-freewheeling pulley will use a 4PK611 belt.

kioolt - pic occurs on my screen as post #2 on page 2 but maybe that's because in my "preferences" I left the default number of posts per page at 10. What's your setting?

I wasn't even aware that the number of post per page could be changed. But apparently I changed mine at one time because it is now set to 15. That's what happens with old age.

I was just checking out all the miles you put on your bikes...

Hopefully I have as much luck with mine, I currently have a 04 Rockster ...from looking at yours, mine is not even broken in yet!

gmcjetpilot

I just went through this. There are two belts, V-Polly (older design) and ELAST. Don't trust BMW to be accurate on the change over date for the two belts, July 2003....

THERE IS A SMALL RAISED TRIANGLE CAST INTO THE BOTTOM CENTER OF THE PLASTIC COVER THAT TELLS YOU IF YOU HAVE THE NEWER ELAST BELT, according to a BMW Moto Service Bulletin...

Part Number 12311341779 (4PK611) (older v-polly belt, BMW number) (Beemer Boneyard Item# BBDAYCOALTBLT $12 verses $27 BMW)

Part Number 12371681841 (4PK592) (newer ELAST belt, BMW number)

There are many equivalent aftermarket belt part numbers at less money than BMW belts

V-Polly is the "older" belt and is tightened with a built in ratcheting bolt (one of the three bolts that mounts alternator bottom bike right side) to a torque which moves alternator up, I recall 8 n-m. It requires re-tightening at 6000 miles. This belt is s uppose to be for bikes made before July 2003 (however I found out this is not true for my 2004 R1150RT, still used it). There is a special tool to torque bolt from front verses the back. I used a universal, extension and torque wrench to tighten from rear (not as much room). I guess some owner/mechanics will just wing it on torque. The ratcheting bolt tightening deal works slick. The belt is very tight like a guitar string.

The NEW kind of belt is ELAST, slightly smaller in length (but will not fit on bikes made for longer V-Polly belt). It is made to stretch and does not require re-tightening. It calls for a special spreader tool that goes between crank and alt pulleys, you turn tool socket/bolt with wrench to a given torque. This is for post production July 2003. You would think a 2004 R1150RT would have new belt, but again it was not the case for my 2004 RT.

peterbulgar

My R1150R shows a manufacture date of 09/2003 and has the V-belt (779-4PK611). Always serviced by BMW dealer, no cast triangle on the bottom of the cover. So much for "up to 07/03".

Peter, San Francisco

'04 R1150RA, 1973 R75/5, more...

Morning gmcjetpilot

Using the triangle on the bottom of the front cover is not always accurate as covers get changed, improper belts get installed during belt change (even at dealer level).

The ONLY true way to tell what belt it gets is to look at the alternator-- IF it has a free-wheeling alternator pulley then it gets the Elastomer belt (nothing else matters). If it doesn't have the free-wheeling pulley (such as early RT bikes or non RT's with 40 amp alternators then it gest the Poly-V belt & uses the old belt tension method.

The other thing to deal with is not all 2004 BMW 1150RT's are really 2004 1150RT's-- Some dealers in some states managed to sell left over 2003 1150RT's as 2004 bikes so they are actually 2003 by service data but titled as 2004 bikes.

When it comes to service years use engine numbers not title dates.

Dirtrider

I believe we will all have to agree that the dual spark did not come out on any 03 RT's. So how could a dealer sell an 03 RT as an 04 if it is a single spark?

gmcjetpilot

Correction the ratcheting bolt is on BIKE LEFT, shifter side... this is the one you torque to tighten V-Belt / V-Polly 779 belt. Wish I had this thread a few months ago...

A little late to the party. It took me some time to find the link to THIS DOCUMENT by Anton Largiader. I found it insightful when I did my first belt change...along with some archived threads on this forum like THIS ONE .

FWIW, my 0603 (June '03) built twin-spark has the older Poly V belt.

Archived