IGNORED

2008 GS1200R with 50k miles worth $10k = good deal?

TurboTJ

Hi Everyone,

One of my friends is trying to talk me into buying his 2008 gs1200r for $10k. He is very meticulous on the maintenance and has never laid it down. The dealership told me the current value on the adventure model for that year is $11,700.

It comes with heated grips, guards on the engine head, cargo boxes but no gps.

So what do you guys think? Is that a good deal or not?

Thanks for the help!

Hi TurboTJ and welcome to the board!

How many miles are on it? Does the owner have maintenance records?

Check out the following link:

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/bmw/

It's the go to source for motorcycle values. You'll need to plug in specific information, including your zip code.

Remember, that's for the motorcycle only, in excellent condition.

It's the go to source for motorcycle values. You'll need to plug in specific information, including your zip code.

It has 50,000 miles.

I hadn't realized that KBB does bikes. It looks like the suggested retail is $9,770 for a bike with average mileage (which appears to be 29,000 miles). Sounds like this isn't such a great deal... Do these bikes follow KBB pretty closely?

He has some extras like the BMW aluminum panniers, but I can't imagine that would change the price drastically. Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks nmTwin!

Also, how much less capable on dirt will a GS1200R be (as opposed to an adventure)? I probably will be on the road 90% (or more) of the time.

(Sorry for the bump, I didn't see a way to edit my previous post)

It might be worth 5k.

+1.....Thats the first number that popped into my head as well. For $10k, you should be able to find something newer with less miles on it.

As far as "offroad capability", If I had to choose, I would rather have a standard GS instead of GSA. The only real difference with the GSA is a slightly taller suspension, a larger fuel tank, and more weight. Great for long distance touring, not so much for real offroad prowess.

Also, how much less capable on dirt will a GS1200R be (as opposed to an adventure)? I probably will be on the road 90% (or more) of the time.

Both will be big pigs in the dirt :D

Seriously, if anything, the standard GS (btw, R1200GS, not GS1200R) would be easier to deal with in the dirt because it is not carrying the extra weight of the larger fuel tank.

95% of all GS's spend 99% of their lives on pavement. The extra range and weather protection of the Adventure model's tank are nice on the road -- if you have the inseam length to handle the extra height.

It might be worth 5k.

+1.....Thats the first number that popped into my head as well.

A '08 GS with luggage with 50k miles for $5K. I guess I'm not looking in the right places, because I've not seen it. Seems low.

It might be worth 5k.

+1.....Thats the first number that popped into my head as well.

A '08 GS with luggage with 50k miles for $5K. I guess I'm not looking in the right places, because I've not seen it. Seems low.

Me too.

I would think $7000-7500 more in line with a personal sale.

I would think $7000-7500 more in line with a personal sale.

Thats about what I paid for my '06 with 20k miles on it back in 2011 W/full luggage, extra set of wheels, and a GPS. The deals are out there.

Year newer comparable miles and gear, $7,500.

Now, if the bike is in great condition, has maintenance history,

all service recalls done, needs nothing, has bags, and is where you are, and you like the ride.

Make an offer.

Prices (asking) seem to be in this neighborhood of your friends

with plenty of older lower mileage examples out there.

$7-7500 would be a good deal.

Add costs to find one and you have a ceiling for offer.

Is your friend motivated?

Buying another?

Trading?

All factor into selling price.

Best wishes.

There's NADA too.

there is a 2009 GS in the classifieds here, less than 10,000 miles, side and top boxes.. lots of farkles.. and only $10,900.00, so would have to say the '08 with 50K miles should be considerably less.

there is a 2009 GS in the classifieds here, less than 10,000 miles, side and top boxes.. lots of farkles.. and only $10,900.00, so would have to say the '08 with 50K miles should be considerably less.

link

under 10,000 miles, up to date recalls and service, well farkled, somewhat central location, a much better deal for the $$$.

But, of $$ is a factor, negotiate hard on the local bike using ads like this.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the great info. I showed the seller the data and he's coming down on the price. He said he came up with that number after looking at showrooms and doing some online research. I pointed out that the kbb $9800 value is based on 30k miles (which I guess he didn't realize).

I also found a 2011 with 20k less miles for $11k and a more extras. I definitely agree that $10k for a 7 year old r1200gs with 50k+ miles is too much.

Thanks for all the help!

I would try to get an 2010 as it has the camhead motor.

Well I did some more digging and found a 2011 R1200GS with 30k miles, premium package and a few other extra's for $11k. KBB is $12,705 for a 2011 with 10k fewer miles.

Does this seem like a decent deal?

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I'm just shooting in the dark here.

Year newer comparable miles and gear, $7,500.

Now, if the bike is in great condition, has maintenance history,

all service recalls done, needs nothing, has bags, and is where you are, and you like the ride.

Make an offer.

Prices (asking) seem to be in this neighborhood of your friends

with plenty of older lower mileage examples out there.

$7-7500 would be a good deal.

Add costs to find one and you have a ceiling for offer.

Is your friend motivated?

Buying another?

Trading?

All factor into selling price.

Best wishes.

These are all good points. He isn't very motived (or on the same rushed timeline as myself). He is wanting to get a brand new R1200GS Adventure. After I showed him what I thought it was worth, he said that he might keep it as a beater bike.

Overall, I think I might just go with the other deal I mentioned above.

Well I did some more digging and found a 2011 R1200GS with 30k miles, premium package and a few other extra's for $11k. KBB is $12,705 for a 2011 with 10k fewer miles.

Does this seem like a decent deal?

I bought a 2011 GS with 10K miles on it for $11,500 last August. I will say he was a motivated seller but it took him a month to accept my offer. You can always make what you consider a fair offer.

Is the bike a regular R1200GS or the R1200GS Adventure?

You first post is a bit confusing,particularly the part about what the dealer told you.

The Adventure commands more $$,as it was more expensive new,better equipped and a bit more desirable on the used market.

JR356

Is the bike a regular R1200GS or the R1200GS Adventure?

You first post is a bit confusing,particularly the part about what the dealer told you.

The Adventure commands more $$,as it was more expensive new,better equipped and a bit more desirable on the used market.

JR356

Sorry for the confusion. All the bikes I have mentioned were not adventure models.

This looks about in the same ballpark:

http://www.soundrider.com/preowned/details.aspx?ID=2433

Although being down in Colfax (a small farm town), you know it's spent a lot of time off road. Looks mighty clean though.

That's a good reference point.

I think I found a bike to buy. It's a 2011, 30k miles, panniers, heated grips, seat, ABS, ESA, skid plates, etc. for $11,000. I'm just having it checked out by BMW tomorrow.

Archived