IGNORED

Bloomberg's idea of good rides

markgoodrich

I would very much like to meet the human who can actually ride the Vietnamese bike, the Bandit. I would also like to know the demographic profile of the $6,000 Vespa buyer. The Interceptor remains one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2015-04-20/best-new-motorcycles-spring-2015

That GSX-S750Z is my favorite of the Bloomberg batch.

szurszewski
I would very much like to meet the human who can actually ride the Vietnamese bike, the Bandit. I would also like to know the demographic profile of the $6,000 Vespa buyer. The Interceptor remains one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2015-04-20/best-new-motorcycles-spring-2015

There's lots of them here in Portland (my wife has one, actually, but we bought it used/branded as theft recovered insurance buy-back sort of thing....so way less than $6k), but the one in that list is a $10k Vespa - and a 125cc one at that. I'ms sure there are a few here in town, but I haven't seen one on the road yet.

There are definitely a few things on that list I'd rather have for $10,000...

markgoodrich

There's lots of them here in Portland (my wife has one, actually, but we bought it used/branded as theft recovered insurance buy-back sort of thing....so way less than $6k), but the one in that list is a $10k Vespa - and a 125cc one at that. I'ms sure there are a few here in town, but I haven't seen one on the road yet.

I know the local Vespa dealer; next time I see him I'm gonna ask how many of those he sells.

Guest Kakugo

Please forgive me here because social conventions are a tad different this side of the Pond, but most of the bikes listed there are not made for people with a midlife crisis. Those here by a convertible, usually German.

Most of those are hipster bikes. The Ducati Scrambler, the RNineT, the new Vespa, new Thruxton, the V7... go to a hipster place in the warm months during the evening and you'll find those bikes there, usually with a open face helmet placed squat on the saddle.

Because nothing says you are different like buying the same bikes everybody else has. ;)

Regarding the Vietnamese bike... they must have taken their cues from 50cc racers from the 70's, such as this Bultaco, on which Angel Nieto won the 1976 world championship:

7650tssmk2.jpg

The Interceptor remains one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

Agree, a great mid-life crisis bike. The organ pipe with two wheels, not so much.

fourteenfour

hmm.. all silver tank on the R9T doesn't look half bad.

I fondly remember my friends 1987 VF700 (might be more letters) Interceptor, it was white and after seeing it I kept kicking myself for buying the FZ

I still think that this is what an Interceptor looks like. This one is sitting in the Barber Motosports museum. Mileage: Zip. Talk about new old stock.

i-JTvBLTQ-M.jpg

szurszewski

I know the local Vespa dealer; next time I see him I'm gonna ask how many of those he sells.

Paul? I hope he sells a lot of them; I've hardly spent any money at the shop but he and Maggy are always very nice to me when I come in... too bad I don't have more disposable income or I'd definitely put some in their pockets.

Archived