IGNORED

EBC on '09 RT

Rinkydink

I searched the board to no avail...I'm looking to replace my brake pads and called a certain Maryland BMW dealer to order them. I was told they recommend NOT using EBC pads for this application. Has anyone heard of this? I have ordered tons of stuff from this dealer and trust their opinion but am a little surprised at this. What say ye?

Guest Kakugo

I am sure you'll find plenty of people here using EBC HH with great satisfaction. They are tied with Carbone Lorraine AA3+ as the most widely used on RT's, and for good reasons.

It's pretty obvious the dealer want you to buy OE: last time I checked a set of four genuine pads for my 2009 was 135€ (may have gone up in the meantime). A set of four EBC or CL pads is about 80€, will last longer and won't fade as much. ;)

+1 -- been using EBC HH pads on multiple bikes for years.

If the Carbon Lorraine pads are ok with you, BeemerBoneyard carries them.

Thanks guys. The weird thing is this same dealer sells and promotes EBC pads/products proudly on their website. (An ample amount of alliteration...) The salesman I spoke with repeatedly said he showed no EBC for "that application."

Guest Kakugo
Thanks guys. The weird thing is this same dealer sells and promotes EBC pads/products proudly on their website. (An ample amount of alliteration...) The salesman I spoke with repeatedly said he showed no EBC for "that application."

Tell the salesman to dig out that antiquated thing called a catalog, put on his glasses and look up FA335HH (front) and FA363HH (rear). :grin:

Tell the salesman to dig out that antiquated thing called a catalog, put on his glasses and look up FA335HH (front) and FA363HH (rear). :grin:

Better yet, take your business elsewhere.

Your '09 RT has linked brakes.

The original equipment pad designs incorporate or assume the performance of both front and rear brakes.

Think maybe a different brand on one end only might upset the balance?

Think EBC has designed their front/rear pairs with linked brakes considered?

Or is it just about saving some money?

The electronics are programmed to react to the dynamics of the actual bike operation, not a particular materials combination. Alternatively stated, the electronics determine the actual braking force being developed at both ends and other vehicle dynamics (as determined by wheel speed and other sensors), and apportions brake application front/rear accordingly. That's the great thing about BMW's approach: on-the-fly adjustment of brake proportioning in accordance with demand, not "integrated" in the sense of other bikes' fixed portioning between the front/rear brakes.

The system doesn't give a hoot what material is hung in the calipers (within reason, a stick of butter would probably cause the system to fault).

You won't be upsetting any balance or defeating a design choice by choosing any modern brake pad over the OE pads -- pick the pad manufacturer's recommended pads for your bike and ride on knowing that the electronics and the wizards at BMW/Brembo/whichever ABS supplier supplied your ABS unit have things under control.

This is not only theory, it is many thousands of miles of practical experience with BMW braking systems and alternative pads (primarily EBCs in my case) on at least one of every generation of BMW ABS-equipped bikes). Your choice as to whether you wish to believe what is being posted on the Internet here. ;)

I replaced my front pads with FA335HH ( I have about 10,000 miles on them.)and I'm very pleased with performance.( I still have the OEM in the rear)

They cost about a third of what the dealer charges for OEM and work as well.

When my rear is due I will put EBC pads there too.

I have purchased the vast majority of my brake pads (EBC) and other consumable parts (oil filters, air filters, spark plugs) from Beemer Boneyard. I'll usually purchase 2 or 3 complete sets of brake pads, a half dozen oil filters, a couple air filters and a couple sets of spark plugs all at once to save on shipping and to have an inventory of parts on hand. I don't like to have to wait on parts in order to go for a ride. Beemer Boneyard has always treated me well...their prices are competitive.

Just as I expected. I'm just baffled as to why said dealer proudly sells EBC for all other models. Ordering from Beemer Boneyard today. I love this forum.

Archived