IGNORED

Is rear wheel bolt torque different after flange replacement?

steve.foote

steve.foote

I was one of the early flange replacers (pre recall) and was wondering if there is a different torque spec since the new flange is steel instead of aluminum. Anyone know? Perhaps it's the same as the current wethead rear wheel bolt torque since it's supposedly the same part? Is that still 60nm?

Thanks in advance!

Afternoon Steve

As far as I know it is the same as I have not seen any service bulletins saying differently.

At least if you stray a bit on the high side you shouldn't crack the darn flange ears now.

steve.foote

Yeah, I'm confident they won't crack now.

The dealer put quite a bit of torque on the bolts when they replaced the flange (way more than 60nm). I'm fine with the standard torque, but thought it was worth knowing if it had been changed.

The dealer put quite a bit of torque on the bolts when they replaced the flange (way more than 60nm). I'm fine with the standard torque, but thought it was worth knowing if it had been changed.

Morning Steve

Torque to loosen is usually quite a bit higher than the torque that bolts were originally set to (especially tapered seat type bolts). In the auto industry we seldom use torque-to-loosen as any torque indicator, instead we use torque to tighten from where they are, but even that is pretty useless on tapered seat wheel bolts that have been run-in for a while.

Archived