IGNORED

Announcing RideSmart MMXV... - August 7/8

Huzband

I along with my indispensable friend Matt, we are pleased to announce the scheduling of a much belated RideSmart class for MMXV. (That's this year, folks)

The dates; August 7/8

The place; Switzerland Inn, Little Switzerland, NC.

I know what you're thinking. August, really? Well let me assure you it will be okay. We'll be spending a fabulous weekend on the BRP at 4200 feet of elevation, so the valley heat won't affect us. Rain showers? Maybe. Come prepared as this event is rain or shine. To be honest, rain helps.

We have a class limit of 12 students and a minimum of ten. So if you want in, respond to this thread ASAP. This is the only place to sign up. Once you post here, please send a PM to Matt (Matts_12GS) with your email, as he will be sending out class materials when we are two weeks or so out.

Along with myself & Matt we have two more very capable instructors. Craig (TyTass), & Bernie (Bernie). My thanks to them both for stepping up when asked. This is a purely volunteer event, so their willingness to participate is that much more appreciated.

Matt will be posting a link tomorrow to the hotel along with room rates & all particulars. It even looks like we can do Fri & Sat supper on the grounds, as well as video review Sat night. Thanks in advance to Craig & Bernie for bringing their GoPro's.

So sign up now, & we all look forward to seeing you there. :Cool:

Ye86JR.png

Sorry about the cars, it was the only image I could copy. :P

Hey, why not? Count me in. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was there for the UnRally a couple of years ago, great spot.

Thanks all for doing this.

BRW, am I the first "mark" to sign up? :grin:

If you have never done a RideSmart it is a weekend well spent. It will make you a better rider.

Agreed! I still remember all the lessons, I just have to apply them better.

Hope you all have a great weekend! :thumbsup:

Todd F is in. Frank A will also be joining. I heard a lot about the class and really look forward to it. Great location too.

Rick Givens

I have been anticipating the opportunity to make this event without the detour along the Cherohala - looking forward to it!

Blind Squirrel
Matt will be posting a link tomorrow to the hotel along with room rates & all particulars. It even looks like we can do Fri & Sat supper on the grounds, as well as video review Sat night.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Hotel information...

Go here:

Switzerland Inn

Call the Inn, the block of rooms is held under my name, Matt Sturgis

Rates are as follows:

There are a few bunkhouse rooms, 1 double bed and their own bathroom for $69/night.

Once those are gone, we'll be moving to the Chanticleer rooms. Those rooms have 2 queen beds in them. They are $139/night, or, $69/person if you double up.

Yes, it's not exactly a budget hotel. You'll know why when you see it.

There are restaurants on the grounds, a lounge, and gorgeous patio to sit and enjoy the views from.

This shows the area from the best UN ever.

UnRally 10 CheckIn

Danny or anyone that can assist,

I realize that RideSmart is riding instruction, but Could you give me a brief overview of what RideSmart involves so I can describe it to someone that might be interested in attending. Thanks

Ron

I realize that RideSmart is riding instruction, but Could you give me a brief overview of what RideSmart involves so I can describe it to someone that might be interested in attending. Thanks

Ron

Ron, I'm going to give this a shot on Danny & Matt's behalf. They, and any of the other instructors, are free to correct me if I'm missing some important aspect or have skewed the emphasis.

RidingSmart (the dream-child of David, former proprietor of this forum, superbike instructor, amongst many other accolades) is a day-long lesson building a more advanced skill set foundational to smoother and safer cornering on roadways, resulting in far greater ability, safety, and confidence in riding smoothly through corners. It is not intended to be a study in reading the road and choosing lines (a much longer lesson since the number of possibilities are nearly endless). Instead it is a series of highly effective yet practical exercises to teach students how to properly balance their bike while cornering. It emphasizes proper reference/anchor points, more effective body positioning, acute awareness bike geometry and mechanics, dedication to maintaining proper sightlines, and more.

I can tell you from personal experience (having attended in 2008) that I couldn't believe the level of improvement in my abilities and confidence, and the rest of the class, from that just one day's exercises. We went up the mountain looking like a ragtag line of weekend warrior riders, but we came down the mountain at the end of the day taking corners one rider after the next, confidently leaning to the curves at speed, giving in to the synchronicity of rider, bike, and curve. It was a thing of beauty and all the attendees couldn't believe the degree of progress in one day. That does not mean to say that everyone left the mountain with the exact same level of confidence and/or abilities, but all ... to a person ... improved significantly.

What I've now come to understand over the years since, is that it was because of the lessons of RidingSmart that I gained the confidence and abilities to enable me to broaden my focus to other aspects of riding (more specifically cornering); such as reading the road and learning which lines to choose in which conditions/scenarios. Because of this training, I am now ten times the rider in rain than I was prior.

So, while I will say you shouldn't expect miracles, you can expect to come down off the mountain and much more confident rider with a new appreciation for your capacity to continually improve.

Thanks Craig. It has been many years since I have been through an instruction course and I thought that this might be a good opportunity to freshen up, and by your explanation, it sounds like it is exactly what I need. Can't wait. Since I won't see you guys at START, see you in August.

I was wondering when we'll need to be at the Inn on the 7th. At present, I've got a room for 7th and 8th. Should I schedule Thu night 6th too? I'm riding up from South Charlotte.

I was wondering when we'll need to be at the Inn on the 7th. At present, I've got a room for 7th and 8th. Should I schedule Thu night 6th too? I'm riding up from South Charlotte.

We need to be in the hotel in time for dinner. We will gather for a meal and do some introductions and get to know each other.

The class will begin promptly the next morning and we'll ride after breakfast up the course route.

Ron

Ron, I'm going to give this a shot on Danny & Matt's behalf. They, and any of the other instructors, are free to correct me if I'm missing some important aspect or have skewed the emphasis.

Thanks Craig, that really captures the spirit of lessons.

Ron, what RidingSmart really consists of is a chance to learn how to turn your particular motorcycle. It will give you a greater sense of body awareness and connection to your machine. Once you get that connection and the lessons become automatic responses (which can take days, weeks or longer sometimes) you will find yourself riding, like Craig said, much more confidently and with more safety margin in controlling the machine.

It's simple, but not always easy, and requires a degree of unlearning bad habits. Once the lights come on, your riding will never feel the same again.

Ten -- I'm in!
Very good, but I think you're 9. Scott was already an IN.

Well, I've always been afflicted with a touch of innumeracy, Craig. I'm a man of letters; numbers? Ahh, not so much. ("Dammit Jim, I'm a publisher, not a theoretical mathematician!") Which is to say, I'll gladly be nine.

Hotel room booked. I decided to ride down on Thursday. That way I can ride the local roads on Friday and re-inforce my bad habits before the course starts. :grin:

Hotel room booked. I decided to ride down on Thursday. That way I can ride the local roads on Friday and re-inforce my bad habits before the course starts. :grin:
:rofl:
I'm really wanting to be 10. But, I don't think I can make it. Dang it. :(

Bummer. You'd have loved the course. Any chance of moving things around? It's not offered very often.

Dan (B.O.B.) wants the last seat in the class. He doesnt have internet access and asked me to sign him up.

I think that makes 12. Correct Danny/Matt?

Blind Squirrel

The first day, August 7th is a Friday. Won't we be taking the training that day?

The actual class starts Friday evening at dinner with intro of the students and instructors. The actual on road instructions start Saturday morning.

That is at least how the RideSmart class was done when I took it a few years ago.

There will most likely be some required reading material take will be send out to the students a few weeks before, but I believe Danny (Huzband) will be in touch about all of that.

The actual class starts Friday evening at dinner with intro of the students and instructors. The actual on road instructions start Saturday morning.

That is at least how the RideSmart class was done when I took it a few years ago.

There will most likely be some required reading material take will be send out to the students a few weeks before, but I believe Danny (Huzband) will be in touch about all of that.

Bernie is correct.

You can get there whenever you want, but class begins with dinner at 630 Friday night.

Archived