IGNORED

Brakes are talking back

RPG

2004 RT. 67k. Ever since I returned from Bike Week, the brakes are making some noise when stopping. Pads are in good shape, rotors aren't warped (no pulsing), but there's definitely a sensation that the rotors are dirty or something.

Trailering back from Daytona, I hit two solid days of rain and since the bike was on a trailer, some light rust formed on the rotors. That cleaned off nicely once I got home and took a trip around the block, but the noise has persisted, even with the rotors shiny and clean again.

Sorry for the poor description. The best coorelation I can give is when your vehicle has been sitting for awhile, and the rotors get that surface rust look to them. You back out of the driveway and you hear it as the brakes are applied. Within a few miles it goes away though.

This has that same sound, feel even though the rotors are clean.

thanks for your thoughts,

RPG

Guest Kakugo

Have you checked how much rotor you have left? Sometimes, when rotors approach their service limit, they give exactly that feel of "dirt" when braking.

Morning Rick

First, try cleaning the brake rotors with Brake Clean & a Scotch pad, then wipe off the rotors with a paper towel & Brake Clean.

If they still make noise then remove the brake pads, then use a medium file & lightly chamfer the pad edges (just slightly).

Then lay a sheet of medium sandpaper on a flat surface (like a piece of glass) then gently move the pads back & forth & up & down on that sandpaper to remove glazing.

Have you checked how much rotor you have left? Sometimes, when rotors approach their service limit, they give exactly that feel of "dirt" when braking.

I need to get my calipers out tonight to make sure they're not worn out.

Morning Rick

First, try cleaning the brake rotors with Brake Clean & a Scotch pad, then wipe off the rotors with a paper towel & Brake Clean.

If they still make noise then remove the brake pads, then use a medium file & lightly chamfer the pad edges (just slightly).

Then lay a sheet of medium sandpaper on a flat surface (like a piece of glass) then gently move the pads back & forth & up & down on that sandpaper to remove glazing.

thanks D.R. I'll do just that, if the rotors are still within limits.

RPG

if the rotors are still within limits.

Afternoon Rick

As long as you aren't getting brake pulsation & don't allow the brake pads to wear all the way to minimum thickness the rotors being a little below min thickness won't hurt anything.

You can't create something this stupid. I have to confess something so dumb that I'm almost embarrassed to admit. As someone who's worked on BMW's for 35 years, and always taken pride in my work, I'm sheepishly embarrassed to admit what the problem was. Late last fall, after our Detroit club's final Edmund Fitzgerald ride, I changed the pads, front and rear.

I found that I incorrectly installed one of the brake pads on the right side rotor. So one of the pads was installed backwards.

I only rode it a few hundred miles since then, and mostly highway at that, so the rotor looks fine, which is surprising in itself.

Many, many years ago I had a car in a muffler shop and I was in the bay talking the mechanic who was working on my car. As we were talking he was telling me about a guy who came in because of a strange brake squeal and the result was that the guy had installed the brake pads backwards, as I did and we were both laughing at how stupid you would have to be to do that.

I admit my crime and hope I can be forgiven. :(

RPG

I only rode it a few hundred miles since then, and mostly highway at that, so the rotor looks fine, which is surprising in itself.

RPG

:grin: Sh!$ happens. You might want check that rotor again. I can't believe it's not jacked up.

A "friend" of mine once kicked his Interceptor down into first gear while it was idling in the garage, on the side stand. :dopeslap:

Afternoon Rick

We'll never tell, it's not like you put it on the internet or something!

Sometimes it's best to come clean with your mistakes, lest I think I'm a more talented wrench than I really am. :))

So one of the pads was installed backwards.

As in metal side to the rotor?

Stan

yes sir. The right most outside pad was metal to metal.

RPG

:grin: Sh!$ happens. You might want check that rotor again. I can't believe it's not jacked up.

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised too but it actually looks fine. Rode to work this morning, (60 miles) and brakes work amazing, quiet and the rotor appears to be fine. Both rotors show about 5mm thickness (in the wear areas). I believe the service limit is 4.5mm, so, we'll wait and see how things go.

One lesson learned is that maybe a Kanban process would prevent this. IOW, somehow prevent the pad from being installed backwards. Certainly no alleviation of guilt on my end, I clearly screwed up, but when we had manufacturing in our plant, we were always looking for ways to prevent assembly mistakes.

thanks for allowing me to seek forgiveness. Is this similar to what they do at an AA meeting? :))

A "friend" of mine once kicked his Interceptor down into first gear while it was idling in the garage, on the side stand. :dopeslap:

So one of the pads was installed backwards.

As in metal side to the rotor?

Stan

yes sir. The right most outside pad was metal to metal.

Archived