IGNORED

15 r1200rt rear shock question

Bootlick

First just want to say hello as I am new to the forums - Just finished my first 200 miles breaking her in. I tossed it up on on the center stand and was wiping it down looking for any loose bolts etc and came across this (see pics) just behind the center stand looking up at the rear shock there is an attachment which i can only assume has something to do with ride adjustment.(dynamic ESA ?) It appears to be weeping oil .... any thoughts from the experts? this is my first beemer but im not sure this is normal. I appreciate the input..

IMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

Welcome to the forum Bootlick! :thumbsup:

Since you have very good pictures of the concern, wipe it dry and see if it reappears. If so, off to the dealer I'd go.

Pat

Definitely not normal -- my new ESA-equipped RT is bone dry there.

I agree with the wipe and check suggestion, but if any wetness reappears, head straight to the dealer.

duckbubbles

That is the ESA damping adjustment wiring. It is not normal to have oil there. As suggested, wipe it clean and keep an eye on it. Warranty should cover it should it continue leaking.

Frank

Update - They decided to give me a loaner and drive the RT themselves to see if it continues to leak. My concern which i mentioned to them is that there is no way in telling how much oil has been lost. I am sure as technical as BMW is there is a specific amount of oil required for the shock to operate properly under all conditions the only logical choice for them would be to replace it imo the loaner is an F800r it looks like a tricycle under me lol

Update - They decided to give me a loaner and drive the RT themselves to see if it continues to leak. My concern which i mentioned to them is that there is no way in telling how much oil has been lost. I am sure as technical as BMW is there is a specific amount of oil required for the shock to operate properly under all conditions the only logical choice for them would be to replace it imo the loaner is an F800r it looks like a tricycle under me lol

Are you sure the oil is from the shock? If it is you are correct the correct about of oil is very important, it doesn't take much to make the difference. BMW shocks are sealed non rebuildable (ok some may of found a way) but if it's shock oil you need to replace.

Jay

They have a shock on the way from Germany its getting replaced . I hope this doesnt become a recall issue like the 14s

I hope this doesnt become a recall issue like the 14s

??? Why would you say something like that?

The shock recall involved 8,000+ bikes with a defective component that could shear off and cause catastrophic injury.

This is one (and AFAIK, the only) rear shock seal issue, and it's not even leaking, just seeping. The most horrific consequence would be the annoyance of having to wipe it off once in a while.

And BMW is already in the process of shipping a replacement to your dealer.

Let's keep some perspective, folks, lest every new RTW "issue" ending up being treated like it's yet another "will it be a recalled?!" matter.

The shock recall involved 8,000+ bikes with a defective component that could shear off and cause catastrophic injury.

This is one (and AFAIK, the only) rear shock seal issue, and it's not even leaking, just seeping. The most horrific consequence would be the annoyance of having to wipe it off once in a while.

Let's keep some perspective, folks, lest every new RTW "issue" ending up being treated like it's yet another "will it be a recalled?!" matter.

+1

Exactly

I am not saying it is the same issue as the 14 rt suffered it is not. Nobody is blowing it out of proportion nor starting rumors . And loss of the oil in the rear shock is a bit more sever than just having to wipe it off now and then. The entire stability of the bike relies upon the suspension. I am not qualified to predict what would happen and by your response neither are you. My hopes are it is a fluke however if by posting this a few people got under their bikes and looked if just for safety concerns NO HARM DONE

I am not saying it is the same issue as the 14 rt suffered it is not.

Didn't say you did.

Nobody is blowing it out of proportion nor starting rumors.

Throwing out the word "recall" to describe a plainly non-critical problem is a bit much. You'd go hundreds, if not thousands of miles before you noticed the *very* slow decrease in damping (so slow, it would never "surprise" you before you sought service).

You did the members a great service by identifying the potential problem (I'm going to check my '15, too) -- I'm serious, I appreciate your taking the time to post about it, and particularly to post pics.

The only thing I was objecting to, particularly given the huge consternation the '14 stop-ride order caused, was the ranking of this problem as a critical item (i.e., a safety issue that could cause serious injury or death -- a NHTSA-level problem). Judging from the posts above, I wasn't alone in my reaction.

I am not qualified to predict what would happen and by your response neither are you.

Actually, I would submit that between my engineering degree, professional engineer license and a few decades of working on things like nuclear reactor plant design and the last ~20 years of patent-related work on cutting edge automotive and motorcycle technology (including working on at least one patent covering features of BMW's rear shock design), I have fairly good reason to be comfortable with my assessment of the lack of criticality of your seep/leak/whatever you wish to call it.

Sorry you took offense; that was not my intent -- as I stated, I want to keep problems in their proper perspective, lest we all become Chicken Littles.

Peace.

@MNeblet Somehow I knew you were an engineer lol I am not poking fun it's a common trait how engineers approach problems.

Sometimes it's how we decide to read a post that decides if we become offended. I am not offended but I am still without a bike so a bit upset but everything should come together eventually I just hate the down time.

@MNeblet Somehow I knew you were an engineer lol I am not poking fun it's a common trait how engineers approach problems.

Just ask my wife. :D

Hope you have your ride back asap!

Thanks for posting this....took a look on my bike and it is dry. We will all learn the traits of the 2014 and up over the next couple of years.

another 15 rt owner on MOA has the same issue keep an eye on that rear shock .. 800mi on his

shocks are back ordered weeks at this point my bike will be in the shop over a month

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I looked at my rear shock on my 6 week old RT, and sure enough, there was oil on the spring. I brought it back to Long Beach BMW for an under warranty shock replacement. Apparently I'm not the first to have this issue, and they had one in stock. Since I bought my RT from them, they gave me a '14 GS to ride until the work is done. I'm pretty fortunate to live 4 miles from such a good dealership!

Archived