IGNORED

Please help identify connector

Andrew Harmsworth

Andrew Harmsworth

It's a uk spec which I think came without, ether way long gone before I bought the bike, so perhaps it ok being empty?

Andrew : I asked exactly the same question at the same stage of re-assembly: http://goo.gl/XuJEGz

It seems to be an unused connector on North American models. Dirtrider's informed (as always) comment:

That type of connector is a basic SENSOR connector & seldom if ever used on things other than Fueling Control or Motronic inputs.

That connecter you show is for the Co Pot (used on non 02 sensor/non cat converter equipped) 1100's.

On 1100's built with no 02 sensor, the correct (or lack of) CCP, & hopefully no cat to poison that connecter is plugged into a Co. Potentiometer that allows idle & just off-idle fueling mixture to be adjusted to control the idle Co. output.

Andrew : I asked exactly the same question at the same stage of re-assembly: http://goo.gl/XuJEGz

It seems to be an unused connector on North American models. Dirtrider's informed (as always) comment:

That type of connector is a basic SENSOR connector & seldom if ever used on things other than Fueling Control or Motronic inputs.

That connector you show is for the Co Pot (used on non 02 sensor/non cat converter equipped) 1100's.

On 1100's built with no 02 sensor, the correct (or lack of) CCP, & hopefully no cat to poison that connector is plugged into a Co. Potentiometer that allows idle & just off-idle fueling mixture to be adjusted to control the idle Co. output.

roger 04 rt
It's a uk spec which I think came without, ether way long gone before I bought the bike, so perhaps it ok being empty?

Okay being empty. Is that on the left side? If the right side, Selden might be right.

Left side, and DR is right.

In Andrew's photo I only see two wires. The CO pot has three.

Andrew's photo is too fuzzy to say for sure, but I took a close up of the "leftover" connector when I was putting things back together:

3-prong.jpg

That's probably for the Police sidestand wiring.

You can buy the harness and relay to allow the bike to run with the sidestand down.

It kills the bike of you leave it down and put it in gear.

Some of the best money I've spent was this upgrade.

I had exactly the same leftover connection on the l/h side when I replaced the gearbox on my '96 R1100RS in December. I recorded what was disconnected when I did the work and this isn't on the list. My bike has a CO pot (no O2 sensor, been like that from new) and I've just checked that it is still plugged in (no need to remove for the gearbox swap): it is and the bike runs like it always has. There is another similar connector that is a spare; it is NOT for the CO pot. I never did get to the bottom of what it is for (possibly something to do with the extra electrical gubbins that are on some versions of the RT? Or maybe something to do with emissions on some US bikes?). All I know is that it looked unused and wasn't connected to anything, so I taped it up and the bike has run fine ever since.

That's probably for the Police sidestand wiring.

You can buy the harness and relay to allow the bike to run with the sidestand down.

It kills the bike of you leave it down and put it in gear.

Some of the best money I've spent was this upgrade.

?? I thought that was the default condition for oilheads -- my wife's 2001 R1150GS operates this way (in neutral, idles with sidestand down, dies when you put it in gear (i.e., when the neutral light goes out)). Same for her camhead RT. I also do not recall such a connector on my 2004 RT-P's sidestand switch (having blown apart and reassembled the RT-P's side and centerstands).

The location and orientation in the original pic sez connector for the U.S.-spec solenoid valve for the charcoal canister purge path to me -- that is exactly where the U.S. RT purge valve sits in its rubber mount, and exactly the direction the connector points when attached to the valve.

Pure speculation, but I'd wager that BMW simplified its logistics chains by not having two separate RT main electrical harnesses, i.e., all bikes got the canister purge solenoid connector, and only U.S. bikes got the accompanying valve/canister/etc. Need to look at the BMW parts fiche to confirm or deny.

?? I thought that was the default condition for oilheads -- my wife's 2001 R1150GS operates this way (in neutral, idles with sidestand down, dies when you put it in gear (i.e., when the neutral light goes out)).

That was a change from the 1100 series. An 1100 (2.2 motronic I think) would not run with the sidestand sown, even in neutral.

?? I thought that was the default condition for oilheads -- my wife's 2001 R1150GS operates this way (in neutral, idles with sidestand down, dies when you put it in gear (i.e., when the neutral light goes out)).

That was a change from the 1100 series. An 1100 (2.2 motronic I think) would not run with the sidestand sown, even in neutral.

Ah! Thanks for the info -- I had completely forgotten about that change from my '99 R11RT.

Andrew Harmsworth

Well it's only got two wires, it's on the left hand side, the bike is now back together and joyfully running again. Bit of a baptism of fire first job - gearbox out, new clutch and slave in the first week of ownership.

However please to say thanks to all the forum members as many articles needed to be read to do it can honestly say would not have been a successes without. I also Took the time to service while all the tupperwhere was off, and upgraded the cam chain tentioner

Archived