Thin wheel "shim" on R1150RT

RoanokeRider

RoanokeRider

Does anyone know the purpose of the thin shim under the rear wheel? On some other BMW bikes the shim is 2mm thick and would seem to be a spacer but the one on the 1150RT is so thin that it would seem not to be a shim. The reason that I am asking is that I have fitted a sidecar to the bike and gone to a 175/55-17 car tire on the back of bike. There is approx. 3/16" between the swing arm and sidewall of the tire and I am thinking of shimming it out with a 2mm shim. Do I still need the thin one? I know that I need to shim the brake caliber an equal distance.

Thanks for any info.

Morning Bill

The (BMW 1150), AFAIK, only used that thin spacer on the GS (wire wheel) models. I don't think that thin spacer was used on any of the RT models.

In any case-- (this is for the 1150/not the 1100)-- I have a BMW bulletin that states that thin spacer was used to assure correct air gap between the ABS tone ring & the rear wheel speed sensor.

If you shim your wheel out more with a thicker wheel spacer you will (somehow) need to find a way to extend the rear wheel speed sensor out that same distance to maintain correct sensor to tone ring air gap.

Morning Bill

The (BMW 1150), AFAIK, only used that thin spacer on the GS (wire wheel) models. I don't think that thin spacer was used on any of the RT models.

In any case-- (this is for the 1150/not the 1100)-- I have a BMW bulletin that states that thin spacer was used to assure correct air gap between the ABS tone ring & the rear wheel speed sensor.

If you shim your wheel out more with a thicker wheel spacer you will (somehow) need to find a way to extend the rear wheel speed sensor out that same distance to maintain correct sensor to tone ring air gap.

My '02 RT was delivered with a thin shim between the wheel and the final drive. It is still installed. Some folks removed them, in search of a cure for PTTR (Pulls To The Right), a problem I never noticed.

roger 04 rt
Morning Bill

Hi DR,

I have that thin shim on my 2004 R1150RT.

RoanokeRider

Thanks for the reply's and it makes sense that it would shim something as small as the tone ring gap. May just leave it the way it is now if it does not appear to have interference when the rig is loaded for a trip.

Bill

I believe the shim is there to prevent the wheel from permanently attaching itself to the drive (dissimilar metals and all that scientific stuff).

Joe Frickin' Friday
I believe the shim is there to prevent the wheel from permanently attaching itself to the drive (dissimilar metals and all that scientific stuff).

They are indeed dissimilar metals, but corrosion like that generally isn't a problem for motorcycles, which aren't often driven on briny winter roads.

The shim was also used on some K12LT's to provide tire-swingarm clearance for particular tires. IIRC, it was a wide Dunlop tire that would rub the inside edge of the swingarm.

Archived