So does this thing count as a motorcycle, or not?

elkroeger

Guest Kakugo

Technically speaking, no. The only reason some people debate it is because it uses a motorcycle handlebar for steering (though this was done out of convenience: steering the handlebar activated brakes on that side, thus steering the contraption) and a few other components NSU had laying about, such as the headlight.

I am pretty surpised there's still somebody not familiar with this vehicle. Despite the low numbers built (around 9000) it has become, very much like the Tiger I heavy tank, a symbol of German military power in WWII.

The examples you find for sale today were either built after the war or were used as aircraft tugs in Germany proper and hence survived the war. After 1945 they were mostly used as agricultural tractors: given the state of German economy in 1945-1948, everything with an engine was worth its price in gold.

After the Wirtschaftwunder kicked in, these vehicles weren't needed anymore and, due to its connection with the Nazi military, either sold to foreign collectors or scrapped. Very few, if any, were preserved in German museums. Just to give an example there's a single Tiger I tank in a museum in Germany and it was built by a private firm using parts of tanks abandoned or destroyed in the Falaise Pocket and then donated to a museum in Munster.

markgoodrich

At the end of the war, my father found one in a ditch in Germany. He was a Captain in the Quartermaster Corps, primarily involved in moving supplies by truck convoy. He had the thing repaired in the motor pool, and said he rode it all over Germany.

Nope, not a motorcycle.....But then, neither is a Spyder.

if it has 3 wheels it's still a motorcycle for the purposes of registration

if it has 3 wheels it's still a motorcycle for the purposes of registration

That's not necessarily true in Texas.The Spyder meets the Texas definition of a motorcycle but the Polaris Slingshot with its side-by-side seating arrangement does not.

There's one at Bills Bike Barn in Bloomfield PA. Not surprisingly there's a lot of Harley stuff but there's plenty of other material too. It's a fascinating place and definitely worth 5 bucks.

So I was reading about them on Wikipedia . They were supposed to fit inside an airplane. I understand a smallish vehicle for rapid deployment and all that. But was it good at anything?

Also I was thinking about a Harley trike I saw last week. Add a pair of Mattracks, and replace the front wheel with a ski, and you're all set for the Great White North!

The Spyder is a wonderful motorcycle that has given my father and me a final few more years of riding together, until he can no longer throw a leg over the saddle. We ride, we build new memories and continue to talk and laugh about our latest rides together.

He'll, if I had to, I'd stuff him into one of these old German contraptions and spray paint "bike" on the side of it for a chance to get a few more rides together.

Archived