IGNORED

I've screwed up my ABS - 2004 RT 1150

ElevenFifty

ElevenFifty

I'm an idiot. Spent the last month working on accessories instead of basics and left Atlanta for Bonita Springs with a fully functioning bike. About 400 miles into the trip at a gas stop, the ABS did not engage and I stopped, restarted, got ABS to work and rode on.

Last stop before arrival in Bonita, same thing happened but ABS only came back after two or three power off-power on cycles. Rolled into Bonita with a functioning system. Pulled the rear caliper to discover completely work out disk pads. Replaced them this morning but can't get ABS to initialize.

SYMPTOMS: Key on - normal red triangle and rapidly flashing 'Brake Failure'. Red triangle goes out after a few seconds but Brake Failure continues and ABS will not energize. REAR BRAKE LIGHTS are ON!! and will not go off. I removed the plunger from the rear brake pedal to the switch and the brake lights still stay on.

Brake fluid level and color for the rear reservoir is good and I did a full ABS flush last year. Have I cooked the switch? Is there anyway to test that by bypassing that circuit to get the ABS pump to energize?

Kicking myself and hoping that there is something I can do to get this beast back to my garage that doesn't involve a u-haul... THANKS in advance.

ElevenFifty

After replacing the pads and disconnecting the battery for 45 minutes, I did a ride-off and agressively braked to see what residual brakes would feel like heading home ... About the third test I did, the controller re-engaged and warning lights went back to normal. Several stop-start cycles later, the system now engages normally and performs as expected. I figure that replacing the worn pads pushed fluid levels in the system back toward normal ... will do a full service to assure good levels when I get home. Once again the RT comes through. A bit inconvenienced but still never stranded after 153,000 miles.

MODS - please move or delete this post as you wish

SYMPTOMS: Key on - normal red triangle and rapidly flashing 'Brake Failure'. Red triangle goes out after a few seconds but Brake Failure continues and ABS will not energize. REAR BRAKE LIGHTS are ON!! and will not go off. I removed the plunger from the rear brake pedal to the switch and the brake lights still stay on.

Morning ElevenFifty

Glad it is back to working.

On the rear switch, your quick test doesn't show rear switch function. The switches on the BMW I-ABS system WORK REVERSE LOGIC so with the switch circuit OPEN the brake lights go on.

Although your rear brake pads were wore out you may actually have a unrelated problem with your front brake switch. If it ocassionally sticks you will get a brake light that stays on. I've had this happen on my 04 RT.

ElevenFifty

THANKS! kioolt you hit it on the head! Rear pads were a red herring! The problem was the front brake switch sticking.

DH

Archived