IGNORED

Dead turn signal. Is there a common failure point?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

2009 R1200RT, 38,000 miles. My left-front turn signal stopped working last fall, and it's time to fix it.

Shortly after buying the bike, I replaced the stock turn signals with 1157 sockets and bulbs to provide full-time marker lamps along with the turn signals. The left-front marker lamp still lights, so I know the ground wire is working. I replaced the bulb with a new one in which both filaments are intact, and the turn signal still does not light. Taken together, that means the failure is somewhere between the socket and the thingy that runs the turn signals (ZFE?).

Before I go rooting around looking for the culprit, I figured I ought to ask here if there's a particular thing on the R1200RT's turn signals that commonly fails that I ought to check out before I look anywhere else, e.g. "oh yeah, the ***connector under the ??? goes bad for a lot of people, check there first."

:lurk:

Afternoon Mitch

Nothing as far as a common failure point that I know of.

I presume, seeing as you installed a new (dual contact socket), that the place to start your search is at the new socket itself, or at the wire connection to that socket.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Are you sure it's not the switch itself? These do fail on the left switch on RT's. If so, check this

Left rear turn signal works (blinks fast because of non-blinking front signal). So the switch works.

Have you swapped the right socket for the left?

I'm wondering whether there's an issue with the contacts at the base of the left socket.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I'm wondering whether there's an issue with the contacts at the base of the left socket.

Good point. Will try that this afternoon... :lurk:

Did you swap bulbs?

Just a WAG perhaps it isn't functioning despite

looking good.

I know not likely, but...

:lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday

:clap: We have a winner.

I didn't swap sockets, but I pulled the left one, ohmed it, and found no continuity from its spade connector (where it plugs into the harness) and the base contact. Don't know where exactly the issue lies - there's no obvious crimps or corrosion - but it's going in the trash, and I'll put a new on in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips, folks.

Archived