IGNORED

Thread size

Woodchips

Thread size RT1100

Anyone know the thread size offhand for the right hand mirror mount next to the brake resivour, going to install a Ram ball mount there and need to buy a bolt.

Ron

Clive Liddell

Hi Ron,

Unfortunately, you may have trouble finding a bolt with the correct Left Hand thread. The correct bolt is available from BMW of course - take your cheque book with you! :>)

The reason for LH thread is in case you bump the mirror it tends to swing loose...

I have a `96 R1100RT and the right hand mount on mine has NO thread . Just a plain hole.

OP can verify this by looking for the nut on the mirror shaft.

Thanks guys.

I have a lot of metric bolts in my collection and was beginning to think that the threads were stripped and that was why I could not start one. I never gave a thought to left hand thread,(must have been another "seniors moment").

I'm not sure if I will tap a new thread or leave it alone and locate the Ram ball elsewhere.

Ron

szurszewski

The internet shows you have a few Fastenals aroudn town ad well as shops called Calgary Fasteners and The Bolt Supply house - might want to ride the bike over to one of them and see if you can find something that fits. Fastenal at least usually has a range of left hand thread bolts - those others might as well.

I was out today at a local specialty fastener shop picking up a replacement handlebar bolt I lost in the shop last night. Now after learning about the left hand thread in the mirror hole, I will have to suite up again tomorrow and head all the way back to the shop and if they don't have one I'll have to ride all over the city checking the other shops for one, and its supposed to be warm out too. :-))

Out of curiosity, why the RIGHT side? Using a GPS requires taking your hand off the grip, so it's normally center or left of center.

If you can't find the appropriate LH thread, you could 1) use a smaller bolt, with a nut (preferably with a nylon locking insert) under or you could tap and cut new RH threads in a larger size.

you could 1) use a smaller bolt, with a nut (preferably with a nylon locking insert) under or you could tap and cut new RH threads in a larger size.

This seems the best way to go anyway.

It doesn't require much strength, so an M6 stub through that hole would be more than adequate and if you want to keep it looking professional, you could just insert an appropriate bush in the housing hole.

Hi Selden

I have the GPS on the left hand side using the RAM system, the right side was going to be for a planned purchase of a Spot tracker.

Besides, the search is a great excuse for riding. :-)

Ron

Archived