IGNORED

Lost ABS, Cruise Control

mistral

Headed out for a ride and brake failure light remained on, no ABS.I noticed my cruise control does not work. Switch gear replaced a couple of months ago. Could ABS and cruise control be related? I assume I need some expensive repair on the brakes. Bike has 14k on it 011 RT.

Thanks.

Ron

Cruise and ABS both use the rear wheel speed sensor. Check for a broken wire along the sensor cable -- the technicians on the assembly line often pull the zip-ties too tight.

Afternoon Ron

Does your speedometer work?

If so then probably wheel speed sensors working.

Have you tried an engine restart, (allow dash computer to go through it's full initiation cycle, after key-on, but before starting. Sometimes that will re-set the computers.

Also try re-starting with NO brakes held on.

Does your cruise light go on & off with cruise switch?

If nothing above works then put bike on center stand, then with key-on (engine off) try turning the rear wheel with your foot then applying front brake lever (does rear wheel lock up with front brake lever usage?)

Thanks for the suggestions. DR I tried the computer reset and it worked for a half a block.Now it is back to not working. The speedometer works, no light on dash for cruise, front wheel brake will not stop the back wheel.

front wheel brake will not stop the back wheel.

Evening mistral

OK, then you really need to get the ABS failure codes (GS-911 or dealer computer).

With the rear servo brake not working with rear wheel spin/front lever apply then possibly a corrupt rear speed signal or the ABS system has a problem (like a servo motor issue).

So you might try removing the rear wheel speed sensor & cleaning it (might be full of metal particles) & do as Mark suggest & check the rear sensor wire pig tail.

Lots of guessing without getting the actual brake failure codes

Ok, thanks to you and Mark DR. I will look at it further as soon as I can. I have a friend with a GS 911 so we will see what happens.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I hooked the bike up to a GS 911 and it showed a bad speed sensor. I changed the speed sensor and all is well on the short ride I did. Nothing visibly wrong with the one I took off.

Ron

I acknowledge that all is well with the world and that indeed I am damn happy. I had bought a rear drive in the past so I had the sensor already which also made me happy. :grin:

Ron

Archived