IGNORED

Prevailing opinion of Wethead owners, Should I get one?

w2ge

Tell me the good and the bad... I really haven't followed all the ins and outs of owning one, other than the shock recall issue, etc.

I currently have a 25k mile 2010 R1200RT (first year with the camhead). LOVE the bike... But the wifey has given me the okay :) to get a new one (I'd rather find a demo or slightly used loaded 2014/5, the out the door price of a loaded 2015 is $24,500 from my stealership... Ugghh).

I haven't test rode one, yet.. But I plan too.

So, whaddya think, should I do it?

Thanks

I have a 14. It was number 8 in the US and number 1 in Texas. I love it. There is only one thing that I didn't like...the seat. Had that changed. A minor irritation is BMW Bluetooth doesn't work with everything but it does work with SENA.

If I could call BMW and have them redesign something...I honestly don't know what that would be. I suspect some are about to tell you their complaints, but honestly, I don't think there is bike I would trade it for even if half the price.

Go ride one....bring your checkbook.

I owned an '04 RT for many years. Knew the newer generation RT's were way better, but could not stand the looks of them.

I don't even think about my old RT now! While the price is not cheap, I think the quality, performance, electronic aids, entertainment options are absolutely worth the price. I thought I might be better off with a GS when I was first thinking about the new bikes. But in reality I don't do off-road with bikes like this and what little gravel and dirt I rode on I could still do, or I won't miss. Now leaving the garage at 4am for a trip and still wanting to ride further at 6pm that evening....well, that is what an RT is for!

Guest Kakugo

Not in a very different boat from you.

I have a 2009 with almost 100K km on it. I absolutely love it but the Wethead bug bit me sometimes last year.

I know these bikes are simply phenomenal: I am currently split between the RT and the GS-A. However all that goodness comes literally at a price. But we all know that: the cheapest part on a BMW is the rider. ;)

However there is no chance in Hell I will pay a bike, no matter how good, full price and wait four months (or more in case of the GS-A) for it. That's just a matter of principle.

I hence decided to put off even asking for further quotes until next year. If Hexhead's are anything to go by, supply should start normalizing by then. If there are still problems, I'll wait some more time.

There's another thing, though. I tend to buy bikes long term, hence I prefer postponing the purchase until relatively late in the model life so that bugs may be ironed out, new features added, more aftermarket components developed etc. The RT and GS-A are now in their second model year. There's still room for improvement.

Just something to consider.

TracerBullet

Yes you should. Can't find anything wrong with mine.

As some one previously said...test ride one....and bring your checkbook

Jim VonBaden

The Wethead RT is a HUGE step up in riding capability! I would not like a Hexhead/Camhead RT. Fine bikes, but a bit heavy handling for me. The Wethead RT changes all that!

Jim :Cool:

Paul In Australia
Tell me the good and the bad... I really haven't followed all the ins and outs of owning one, other than the shock recall issue, etc.

I currently have a 25k mile 2010 R1200RT (first year with the camhead). LOVE the bike... But the wifey has given me the okay :) to get a new one (I'd rather find a demo or slightly used loaded 2014/5, the out the door price of a loaded 2015 is $24,500 from my stealership... Ugghh).

Thanks

Buy one now!!!

It's all about the motor!

Hello Dave

I think it's more then just the engine. The bike is very different compared to the previous versions.

Seating to ground clearance is a lot lower.

Rider position has changed.

Different airflow

Totally different instrument panel with far more info at hand at any given time.

Suspension/ASC/ABS correlation and User selectivity.....

I do agree that it all has been build around the new engine.

I have had two 1200RTs. An 05 and a 08. Then I bought a K1600 GTL and put 53000 miles on it. Just traded the K for a new R1200RT and I can say without any reservations that this is the best of the bunch. GT

• 1 month later...

Go for it!!!! ,you only live once . Take one for a test ride and you'll be sold , guaranteed ! I brought mine home 11-1-14 and it's the best bike I've ever owned. The only thing I suggest is put on a real horn the stock one sucks big time , most dealers have an air horn available for around $50 and put on a foot enlarger for around $60 other than that it is ready to go.

bmwpeterhead

yes you should. the difference between the older RT and the wasserhead is significant (better, faster, )

I just rode today in a beautiful rain storm. Lots of hard rain, lots of light rain, road with lots of running water and standing water. Bike handles like a dream in the rain, planted well. Shield protects like a champ. Dry roads are much more risky, Bike has no respect for speed limits, just wants to go. I like the seat, have done 600 mile days, like the seating position, 5' 10", easier to do tight turns at slow speed than my 04rt. Only complaint, engine bars I want are not yet for sell. Look forward to adding at least 10,000 miles to her this summer.

Bob Monaghan

Ok, let me throw this out there..

I have 2 bikes:

- 2000 RT (its my tank! - Rebuilt after three times being down in Los Angeles traffic.) I've done a couple of clutch jobs (not for the feint of heart).

- '82 turbo honda. (Nothing short of a religious conversion when riding one! The acceleration is insane -- As long as you aren't doing corners.)

My question:

Best guess if possible - are these new wasserheads serviceable? (Naturally, they come with a great service plan. But I am thinking long term.) I have wrenched on my own bikes for a while. "New fangled" contraptions mean a learning curve. Not to mention a few specialized tools.

bob..

Serviceable in what sense?

Routine maintenance, yes.

Mechanical "stuff," generally yes -- recognizing the fundamentally different nature of the drivetrain (cylinders and tranny integrated into a single engine casting). In some ways, the wethead is easier because the clutch is right out at the front of the engine. On the other hand, an alternator failure will be a witch.

Electrically, maybe. Electrical vs. electronic. Electrical is electrical -- wires, connectors, coils, etc. Electronics is *partially" the same if you have a GS-911 unit (the new generation). However, with the level of integration today, there are some things that are best left for the dealer's computer equipment to diagnosis and/or do firmware updates.

Overall, my expectation is that in the long run my RTW will be less maintenance-intense than my '04 RT-P. I also expect that I will continue to be doing all of the maintenance, with the occasional dealer visit for the few things I will not have the equipment to handle at home -- just as I do now with the RT-P.

• 1 month later...

tr;dr - I bought 2014 with about 1400 miles on it. It was a recall bike. Bottom line, I love it. It's the best motorcycle I've had.

The longer story - I had been looking at the RT bikes for a while; since I bought a F650GS in 2006 and loved it. The next bike after it was a Ducati Multistrada 1100s because I got a great deal on a press bike. Incredible bike, BTW, brought it with me when I moved from NYC to California. But when I got here it was totally inappropriate for a 100-mile round trip daily commute. (I thought of it as my hot-headed Italian girlfriend. 'nuff said.) Anyway, I looked at a 2006 RT in 2010 and wasn't impressed. Looked at the newer RTs I felt another air-cooled bike wasn't for me and decided to keep the Multi but realized I was wasn't riding it.

I visited my dealer last year and heard the story about the recall and buyback and took a test ride, and while the engine and handling are not a Ducati, for my commute, fully loaded, it was the perfect bike. I ride it 2-3 days out of the week for my commute and on the weekends around town in SF.

I also am usually a BMW car driver, and I always make the comparison that the R1200 RT is like a BMW 5 series on two wheels.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks

In short - yes.

First, your dealer quote is hogwash. Fully loaded, they're under $23k, and there's currently a $1,200 incentive off of that. If you can live without some options, $19k new minus the incentive. If you can accept a demo with about 1,000 in flawless condition, as I did, expect to pay $19-20k. That's with every single option box ticked, by the way.

I just picked mine up yesterday. I put 200 miles on it and that was enough for me to realize that it blows previous RTs away in virtually every category. I had a 2009 for 4 years and a 2004 for 4 years, and compared to either of them (save for outright beauty, in which case the 2004 is still the champ) the new Wethead is the bomb.

-MKL

This is my 3rd RT and I have nothing but raves. Just returned from a 3,100 mi trip and it was flawless. Smooth, oh so amazing roll-on power, electronic doo-dads up the wazoo for fun and fine-tuning your ride, and supreme comfort. It even sounds better than older RTs, especially on hard acceleration. Heck, I even averaged 52 mpg on my trip.

Love this RT.

Brad Moores

Had a 2011 RT and went to K1600GT. Now due to my age (64) thinking about going to new RT (water cooled). Absolutely nothing wrong with the 1600 other than in the garage and parking lots 740 lbs. is a lot of heft to move around and I worry about being able to lift it should it fall over. Thoughts?

Had a 2011 RT and went to K1600GT. Now due to my age (64) thinking about going to new RT (water cooled). Absolutely nothing wrong with the 1600 other than in the garage and parking lots 740 lbs. is a lot of heft to move around and I worry about being able to lift it should it fall over. Thoughts?

If you basically like the 1600, maybe keep it.

On all these new bikes, K16 or R12, you're gonna take a bath financially should you bail out in a year or 3.

Someone will be available to help you lift your K16 should it fall over, if that's your only concern.

I own 2 LC R1200. An RT and a GS.

I test rode a K16. Passed on it. Too heavy.

However, IMO... The sweet music from the K16 engine is MUCH nicer that the disturbing cacophony offered up by the R12LC.

Or, maybe go back to a nice Camhead RT. Just make sure you get all the options you desire, including traction control.

Or, if you must get a LC RT, you can come get mine, or my GS, both tastefully equipped.

PM me.

GLWYD

d'Milan

Same switch here, K16GT to the R12RTLC. I don't think you'll miss the GT all that much, ok maybe the sound it makes from those pipes. ;) Nothing like it on two wheels! :thumbsup:

The weight difference is huge, you'll feel that immediately! :thumbsup:

Pat

Brad Moores

Thanks. As I say, there's nothing wrong with the 1600--it is a very impressive moto. At speed I don't notice the weight. In the garage or pushing back from parking is where the weight becomes the issue. My 2011 RT was a great bike as well. Had several 600 mile days and didn't feel beat up at all. I am very much leaning towards the RTLC, thinking it is a more manageable SportsTourer. Brad

If you basically like the 1600, maybe keep it.

On all these new bikes, K16 or R12, you're gonna take a bath financially should you bail out in a year or 3.

Someone will be available to help you lift your K16 should it fall over, if that's your only concern.

I own 2 LC R1200. An RT and a GS.

I test rode a K16. Passed on it. Too heavy.

However, IMO... The sweet music from the K16 engine is MUCH nicer that the disturbing cacophony offered up by the R12LC.

Or, maybe go back to a nice Camhead RT. Just make sure you get all the options you desire, including traction control.

Or, if you must get a LC RT, you can come get mine, or my GS, both tastefully equipped.

PM me.

GLWYD

d'Milan

I made an error in this post that I wanted to clarify.

It's not that the exhaust note of the K16 that I found preferable to that of the R12LC.

It's the mechanical cacophony of the R12LC that spoils it for me.

Figured you were leaning LC anyway, just needed some validation.

PM me, if you are interested in mine.

Cheers and good riding

d'Milan

Had an 07 RT. Rode the 1600GT in Spain for two weeks. Great bike but too heavy at slow speeds. Never park it on a decline against a curb either. Tested the 15 RT. Loved it, bought it, and it's great for two up.

There isn't anything I don't like, and the power increase is very noticeable over the 07

Added:

Bought a Sena 10C.

Plus, dug deep and picked up the Nav V. It's just too good not to have.

Now doing custom reflector pack.

Do it.

Panhandle Chuck

After a 10 year hiatus from riding (military) and riding a F800ST I was ready for an upgrade in 2011. I rode 2009 and 2010 models before buying a demo 2010 GSA. I thought the difference in motors was enough I had to have a 2010 DOHC over the previous model. I've owned a 2014 RT for 5 months, the difference in the two motors is far more distinctive in the 2014 than a '09 - DOHC junmp. If that's not enough and you like technology, the various packages complete the bike.

Are you getting rid of yours Pat?

Not just yet, love the bike but, finding it harder to put miles on it with a GS parked next to it.

Selling both and replacing them with a GS Adventure has crossed my mind. ;)

Pat

Another GTL to R1200RTW convert here.

Got the '12 GTL in April 2015 and put 7000 miles on it in 3 months.

Very powerful engine and very smooth at freeway speeds but heavy at slow speeds and too bulky.

RT is the perfect gentleman's bike without looking too much like Goldwing peeps when you ride around town and look like them when you're on a long tour...

Shortly, RT is much more agile, nimble and light while riding around town without losing too much of touring capability of a larger bike like GTL.

So choice was easy and obvious for me: RTW all the way!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a convert from 2007 K1200LT to a 2015 RTW...just decided it would be nice to lose a few hundred pounds.

I am in LOVE with the RTW. It is a wonderful road bike and the SO has declared it is just as comfortable as the LT (in fact, with the StrongRak seat back and armrests, she tells me it's actually more comfortable). I've put on 4000 miles in the last 45 days and can say I have absolutely no regrets.

2015 R1200GS, simply the best all around touring bike I've ever owned. I used to have an RT but frankly see no reason to ever have another one give the incredible versatility and comfort of this bike.

It is absolutely perfect either on the Super Slab or the rough backroads we have in profusion here in Mexico. And the thing just loves the twisties. One of the best things about that is how stable the steering is on rough pavement in the turns.

Oh and the acceleration is positively neck snapping, a real benefit in a country where we are constantly passing in tight, low visibility situations.

After about 20 years of K bikes, the last one being a 1600 GTL, I converted to a RTW and I am enjoying it more than I ever imagined. Still have an old K75, a great bike, but I just can't stay off the RT!

Still have all the bikes in my tag line. Just purchased a 2015 RTW with everything they offer. This bike is on rails. Smooth as silk. Very comfortable. I'm glad I didn't go for the heavier K16. Test drove both. The RTW is much nimbler at low speeds. The trans is smooth compared to the old 03 RT. Only issue right now is seat, which usually doesn't bother me. This seat may break in, but right now it's a bit hard. Time will tell.

Oh, and the radio will not pair with my Sena Bluetooth. I'm really not into purchasing BMW's Bluetooth at an outrageous price of 450 per helmet. Doesn't fit in the program with my other bikes using 665 with XM!

MB>

Still have all the bikes in my tag line. Just purchased a 2015 RTW with everything they offer. This bike is on rails. Smooth as silk. Very comfortable. I'm glad I didn't go for the heavier K16. Test drove both. The RTW is much nimbler at low speeds. The trans is smooth compared to the old 03 RT. Only issue right now is seat, which usually doesn't bother me. This seat may break in, but right now it's a bit hard. Time will tell.

Oh, and the radio will not pair with my Sena Bluetooth. I'm really not into purchasing BMW's Bluetooth at an outrageous price of 450 per helmet. Doesn't fit in the program with my other bikes using 665 with XM!

MB>

The Interphone F5MC works well with the Bluetooth on the RTW.

MB>

The Sena will work. But to say it is seamless is a bald faced lie! There is a post, I think in this forum topic, that covers the process for pairing. I hardly use the bluetooth to helmet music feature anymore, but I have the nav, phone going through it all the time.

Call Sena and one of tec guys will walk you through the process. I did and it's all worked great sense. GT

MB>

Archived