IGNORED

K1200GT dies when warm?

Johnny Jetson

Johnny Jetson

Got a problem that's hard to describe (so I can't demonstrate it for the dealer).

07 K1200GT occasionally dies at idle when warm. Most often when coming to a stop light after several miles on the cruise control, but sometimes even when the throttle has been cycled frequently. Once I get it to restart and run for a couple of minutes, the bike returns to normal operation.

Dealer replaced the air box and sensor, but only minor improvement. Problem seems to be getting worse, but not enough that I can demonstrate.

Any ideas?

Guest Kakugo

This is a very common issue on Wedge bikes, no matter what your local dealer tells you.

The problem seems to be the airbox itself: it expands when hot and jams the idle control valves (stepper motors?).

BMW redesigned the part four ( :eek: ) times and with each new redesign came a firmware upgrade. With the fourth redesign also came a new style air filter and new clamps.

Apparently the only way to tell if your bike has a fourth generation airbox installed is by looking at the air filter and comparing it with a known older generation unit.

Johnny Jetson

Thanks for the information. Not encouraging since the airbox was replaced less than 6 mos ago -- I would think that would be the most recent design.

And since I'm in the Phoenix area, I ride in generally warm conditions.

Anyone else with similar (or different) experiences?

Guest Kakugo

Thanks for the information. Not encouraging since the airbox was replaced less than 6 mos ago -- I would think that would be the most recent design.

And since I'm in the Phoenix area, I ride in generally warm conditions.

Anyone else with similar (or different) experiences?

Did they just change the airbox or the idle system as well?

If you still have the dealer receipt, check you have the following parts installed:

Airbox (which BMW calls "Intake Muffler"); 13717705568

Idle System: 13717705442

Air Filter: 13717713428

Changing the airbox alone will do little good: the redesigned, definitive unit is designed to go with the new idel system.

Johnny Jetson

Thanks for this info. The job was done under warranty so I didn't get a work order or invoice, but I'll stop by their office and find out. Maybe they didn't do the idle system -- the service mgr mentioned doing the "air sensor" whatever that is.

Appreciate your help with this. Maybe I can get to the bottom of it.

JB

Archived