IGNORED

looking for zumo 660lm info

Scarecrow

My Garmin 2610 is getting to be a little bit of a problem. Even with an extra antenna, it sometimes has trouble picking up satelites. And it sometimes shows my position as being off the road. And of course it doesn't have any newer maps so some new exits on a local freeway don't appear.

I'm thinking it may be time for a new unit. I am looking at the Zumo 660LM and wanted to see if anyone could fill me in on some details. I know it comes with wiring to connect directly to the battery, but when you do that, do you have to leave the cradle attached full time? Or is it like what I have for the 2610 with the battery connector ending in the connector that fits into the 2610? I don't want to keep an unused cradle on the bike all the time. I just want it there when I'm actually using the gps.

How many routes can it hold? Do you have to connect the unit to your pc when setting up new routes? Or is basecamp like mapsource and is a stand-alone program so I don't have to connect the 660 until I'm ready to download my routes to it (like with my 2610)? For that matter, is mapsource gone at this point and replaced only by basecamp?

I have speed, elevation, distance to next turn and time to next turn displayed on the 2610. Can I get all that displayed on the map page of a 660?

I know it says it comes with lifetime maps; but I also believe Garmin decides on what "lifetime" means based on whether it will still support the unit. I think the 660 has been around for 5+ years or so; anyone know if there is a new model coming down the line that I should wait for? I know there are 590LM and a 665LM models, but I don't need/want all the features they have.

I would appreciate any help/advice you can share. thanks in advance,

Your 2610 probably has 8 year old maps, maybe older. So, you are going to have route problems, not to mention data problems (fuel, stores, etc.) You cannot update maps on 2610, so its probably time.

I don't know much about the 660lm so I'll defer to others, but I'm sure it will hold more routes than you'll ever need.

Basecamp really is the new mapsource plus more. You do not have to have the unit connected, it is a stand-alone program. You can build your routes in it, and then transfer when you want.

Basecamp really is the new mapsource plus more. You do not have to have the unit connected, it is a stand-alone program. You can build your routes in it, and then transfer when you want.

Morning Greiffster

Actually this isn't entirely true. Unless he has the map he is using to make the route on his computer already he will need the GPS connected to the computer so BaseCamp can use that map.

To get the new mapping on his computer he will have to buy the map or have lifetime mapping updates, then download the map to his computer.

True, I did assume that one would load the maps to the computer at the time the unit is updated. It would be pretty hard to build routes with the generic map provided.

I have a 665 and there is no easy way to disconnect the wiring from the cradle so you really have to leave it on the bike.

The GPS memory will hold around 30 routes, depending on their size. If you use an SD card you can have up to 100 routes downloaded to the card that can be imported to the GPS for use. The instructions for my 665 claimed the largest SD card that you could use was 8MB but I have a 32GB card in mine and it works fine.

The Rocketman

As a side note, I still use my Garmin 2720. However a phone call to Garmin last month about a non-related question, and they offered me a 40% discount off new list price for my choice of a 660 or 590, so long as I mail/trade in my old one. Don't know if that's a good price or bad, but may be worth some research.

As a side note, I still use my Garmin 2720. However a phone call to Garmin last month about a non-related question, and they offered me a 40% discount off new list price for my choice of a 660 or 590, so long as I mail/trade in my old one. Don't know if that's a good price or bad, but may be worth some research.

That's interesting because you can buy 2720s all day long on Ebay for $50. That's worth snagging one for a 40% discount on a new $450+ unit.

The Rocketman

Don't know if Garmin will honor the deal unless you're the registered owner of the StreetPilot by serial number. Guess there's a bunch out there that have never been registered. Let us know if you're successful or if you call them and ask. For now, I'm holding onto mine. I really like it, it has served me well for many years, and it will probably cost more money & time to re-wire and get cradles for my 4 bikes, than its worth.

TripleThreat

I did a temporary install of my Zumo 660 on my 2004 R1150RT, when I picked it up and rode it for a couple of days down near Deals Gap.

I installed a RAM Ball Mount and wired the Garmin Mount up to a PowerLet Plug so that I could just plug it into the connector on the dash. I just coiled up the extra wiring and zip tied it up to the mount. I can unplug the unit and detach the RAM arm with the mount attached.

Takes less than 30 seconds to remove the whole thing (except for the ram ball).

I will eventually build an accessory shelf and mount it permanently above the gauges, but until then, this works just fine and would meet your needs.

I use a SENA SMH10 Bluetooth headset to be able to hear the directions, listen to music, take phone calls, and talk to a pillion. Ends up being a really slick setup...

I can post pics if you need.

I want to thank everyone for their input.

greiffster & dirtrider - thanks. I know the 2610 is old; I got it soon after buying my 1150rt in 2004, so it is actually pushing 10-11 years now. As far as I know the 660LM comes with lifetime maps and I assumed that those would be downloadable to my pc. Do I need to buy maps beyond what comes with (or is downloaded for) the 660?

Chris K & TripleThreat - the more I looked into it, the more Chris' statement hits home: "there is no easy way to disconnect the wiring from the cradle". TripleThreat - I have a ram mount on a shelf now and I can certainly tap into a powerlet if needed. I was hoping to do something to avoid that. On my bike the powerlets are back of my seat. I have connected to them when I first got the 2610 with a long wire but then hardwired it to avoid that.

From my BatteryTender kit I have something like this:

41VwHgzEyjL._SX425_.jpg

I was thinking I could wire that to the battery and then splice in an SAE connector into the wiring that feeds the 660.

Anyone - Is this a possibility? would I face problems with weather? How hard would it be to wire in the connector? (I'm pretty much all thumbs.) And where would I get the matching connector?

The Rocketman - wow; I never thought of calling Garmin and seeing if they would let me trade up. 40% savings is considerable. The best price I've seen so far on Amazon is about $440. Garmin lists it as $600, so 40% would certainly be the way to go. I'll give them a call. Did you say anything in particular to them to get the offer? Did you just call the 800 number and then speak to customer service or sales?

thanks again to all.

TripleThreat

Scarecrow, my RT has a Powerlet connection right on the dash to the left of the gauges. That makes it really easy for a temp setup... If the only ones you have are back of your seat, then there is not an easy way, unless you wire up a new Powerlet outlet up near where you would mount the GPS.

Good luck...

As far as I know the 660LM comes with lifetime maps and I assumed that those would be downloadable to my pc. Do I need to buy maps beyond what comes with (or is downloaded for) the 660?

No, the lifetime maps with the 660LM should load into Basecamp. There should be an option when updating maps that ask if you want to update you Basecamp map along with the device.

From my BatteryTender kit I have something like this:

41VwHgzEyjL._SX425_.jpg

I was thinking I could wire that to the battery and then splice in an SAE connector into the wiring that feeds the 660.

Anyone - Is this a possibility? would I face problems with weather? How hard would it be to wire in the connector? (I'm pretty much all thumbs.) And where would I get the matching connector?

Scarecrow,

I have the same kit to charge the battery. I assume that you're willing to take off the plastic to wire that to the battery?

And if so, why not just pull some power from under the left mirror. Radio power and optional equipment power plugs are there and often unused? Wouldn't that be better than a wire coming from the seat area?

As far as I know the 660LM comes with lifetime maps and I assumed that those would be downloadable to my pc. Do I need to buy maps beyond what comes with (or is downloaded for) the 660?

Morning Scarecrow

Loading maps onto your computer isn't spelled out very good in the Garmin interface. It doesn't specifically ask if you want to put mapping in BaseCamp, in fact it doesn't mention Base Camp.

When you hook up your GPS to the computer then use Garmin Express it will take you to the Updates Page,

If you just click install it will put the mapping only on your GPS.

In Garmin Express --You need to click Advance Options, then use the drop down box at bottom left to tell it to put the mapping on either Device & Computer, or Computer only.

You can put the LifeTime update maps on your computer but it isn't that straight forward & simple useless you have been there & done that.

If you want to install the mapping that comes with your GPS on your computer you first need to have Base Camp installed on the computer (should be on the disk that comes with the GPS, or you can find it on-line). Then find & install Garmin Express, then hook your GPS to the computer (that should initiate Garmin Express) if it doesn't then manually start Garmin Express.

Make sure your GPS is shown in Garmin Express (it should be found automatically) then IF the mapping iteration number (like 2015.4 etc) matches what is on your GPS just download ONLY to your computer, if the mapping shown is a later iteration then down load to both GPS & Computer.

It isn't difficult, just not intuitive to new GPS with(lifetime mapping) owners.

Scarecrow,

I have the same kit to charge the battery. I assume that you're willing to take off the plastic to wire that to the battery?

And if so, why not just pull some power from under the left mirror. Radio power and optional equipment power plugs are there and often unused? Wouldn't that be better than a wire coming from the seat area?

I don't mind taking off the tupperware to wire the battery. I already did that to run the powercable for my 2610; I'll just replace it with the wires for the SAE connector instead. I hadn't thought of looking at what is under the left mirror, that would be good, but I'd still want to have something with a connector so I don't have to leave the 660 cradle on the bike all the time. I don't use the GPS very often. Maybe I can find a powerplug I can use by attaching a matching connector to the 660. I'll look into that.

Will I be running into trouble using the SAE connectors when it comes to rainy weather?

Morning Scarecrow

Loading maps onto your computer isn't spelled out very good in the Garmin interface. It doesn't specifically ask if you want to put mapping in BaseCamp, in fact it doesn't mention Base Camp.

When you hook up your GPS to the computer then use Garmin Express it will take you to the Updates Page,

In Garmin Express --You need to click Advance Options, then use the drop down box at bottom left to tell it to put the mapping on either Device & Computer, or Computer only.

You can put the LifeTime update maps on your computer but it isn't that straight forward & simple useless you have been there & done that.

If you want to install the mapping that comes with your GPS on your computer you first need to have Base Camp installed on the computer (should be on the disk that comes with the GPS, or you can find it on-line). Then find & install Garmin Express, then hook your GPS to the computer (that should initiate Garmin Express) if it doesn't then manually start Garmin Express.

Make sure your GPS is shown in Garmin Express (it should be found automatically) then IF the mapping iteration number (like 2015.4 etc) matches what is on your GPS just download ONLY to your computer, if the mapping shown is a later iteration then down load to both GPS & Computer.

It isn't difficult, just not intuitive to new GPS with(lifetime mapping) owners.

Thank you for the great directions. They will be very handy when it comes time to set everything up. I find Garmin software (Mapsource) to be anything but intuitive, so I really appreciate the explicit directions you've provided.

Morning Scarecrow

Thank you for the great directions. They will be very handy when it comes time to set everything up. I find Garmin software (Mapsource) to be anything but intuitive, so I really appreciate the explicit directions you've provided.

Afternoon Scarecrow

You are probably going to have to give up on MapSource if you get a new GPS & current mapping. MapSouce hasn't been supported by Garmin in long time now so it doesn't play well at all with the newer NT mapping & complex routes.

BaseCamp isn't that difficult to learn but sure is different to use than MapSource.

There's a good comparison chart of the current Zumo models here.

I'm not sure about your GPS mount, and from your profile it looks like you have an 1150RT. If you aren't using the radio it is easy to power a GPS off the unused power there. The kit comes with two cradles - one you can leave on the bike and one to use in your car.

It does require some practice and there are websites and Garmin video tutorials for both Garmin Express and Basecamp. But dirtrider has outlined the basics for downloading map updates to both your computer and GPS. Of course you can also store maps on your microSD card.

Mike Cassidy

Afternoon Scarecrow

You are probably going to have to give up on MapSource if you get a new GPS & current mapping. MapSouce hasn't been supported by Garmin in long time now so it doesn't play well at all with the newer NT mapping & complex routes.

BaseCamp isn't that difficult to learn but sure is different to use than MapSource.

I knew I would be tossing Mapsource out with the newer set up. It went with the 2610 I had and both have been out of date for years now.

Talked with Garmin support; they said I could trade it in for a 20% discount. Apparently only some models will get a trade in of 40% off the new unit. The 2720 was on the list, but the 2610 wasn't. Oh well. I mentioned that I read some got a 40% discount and he talked with his supervisor and they came up with a 30% discount. Close enough, I went for it. They'll ship out a new unit Monday.

Still interested in finding out if the SAE connectors will hold up in the rain though. Anyone?

Archived