IGNORED

Clutch noise, is it normal?

Atlanta Beemer

Atlanta Beemer

Hi All,

My clutch (2000 1100 Rt) is noisy idling at stoplights when I'm in neutral and the clutch lever is out.

I pull in the clutch and the noise goes away.

It functions ok for shifting.

I'm no expert on this as its my first R bike, but the engagement seems to be within what the manuals specs and it functions smoothly.

Suggestions, or is this normal?

Evening Atlanta Beemer

I presume you are hearing neutral gear rattle & not really clutch rattle?

Neutral gear rattle is pretty normal on the BMW constant mesh transmissions. (happens in neutral, warm engine, & with clutch engaged)

There is also an old BMW service bulletin for clutch disk rattle on some BMW 1100's, the fix was-- BMW released a tighter spline fit clutch disk to reduce the disk to input shaft rattle.

Atlanta Beemer

Thanks Dirtrider, I like that answer better than "you need a clutch"!

Had a k bike way back but didn't remember it having this going on.

You may need a better set of earplugs to truly enjoy your BMW experience.

That's probably the best advice. I notice all the "interesting" mechanical sounds on my R1100RT when riding around town without earplugs. With plugs in, it's amazing how quiet the engine is!

LOL That's cuz the stock exhaust is nowhere NEAR loud enough!!

BTW my R1150RT rattles in neutral as well, the warmer it gets, the more it rattles!

And here's a new one... on pulling away initially (which from my house means up a hill) it makes a kind of squeeee sound - I've never found out why and never had any issues, so...

I don't know about the R1150, but with the R1100, the "squeee sound" is an audible indicator that the ABS has engaged. I thought something was wrong when I first got my RT; now, I know something is wrong if I don't hear the noise.

Archived