IGNORED

BurnsMoto USB Charger Install Question

mdwattsjr

I would like to install a Burnsmoto Weatherproof Dual USB Charger as seen here http://burnsmoto.com/dual-port-usb-power-socket-charger-2-amp-weatherproof.php to my 2005 RT.

Preface- I know almost zero about all things electric.

I would like to install the charger on the upper left hand black plastic piece, 90 degrees from where the speaker placement would be.

I would like the charger to be keyed off, i.e.- when the bike is off, no power to the plug.

So my understanding is I need to splice into something that is supplied by "keyed" power. Would the existing Powerlet socket wiring be a good candidate? If not, what would be?

Is there a tutorial anywhere for this kind of job?

Thanks in advance,

Marion

Jim VonBaden

Hi Marion,

So long as the load of the aux plug and the USB do not exceed 5amps, you can do exactly that. Most USB items only draw a max of 2 amps, so unless you plug something high draw into your aux plug at the same time, you will be fine.

For wiring, remember, brown is ground on BMW!

Jim :Cool:

Guest Kakugo

I have this USB charger on my RT. It resides in the storage compartment until it's needed. Expensive (as far as chargers go) but it's "plug and play", no need for adaptors or splicing and wiring.

There are dual car USB chargers on eBay going for a pittance: using that in conjunction with a DIN/Hella adaptor may provide you with a viable alternative on the cheap and with no need of splicing and soldering. :thumbsup:

I installed this exact USB charger on my 07 RT about 5 months ago. I love it, works great and has come in handy a number of times. I spliced into the clutch side parking light using posi-taps. Just remove the mirror and top side panel. A little tight if you have bigger hands, but it is pretty easy, and I am no electrical wizard either. Hope this helps.

I have this USB charger on my RT. It resides in the storage compartment until it's needed. Expensive (as far as chargers go) but it's "plug and play", no need for adaptors or splicing and wiring.

There are dual car USB chargers on eBay going for a pittance: using that in conjunction with a DIN/Hella adaptor may provide you with a viable alternative on the cheap and with no need of splicing and soldering. :thumbsup:

I have looked at a couple options similar to this, including the Powerlet Dual USB Plug. Just didn't fit snugly enough for me, and returned it. Does this one fit securely in the side mount of the RT?

It comes with a very strong adhesive on the mounting portion of the USB and I mounted it on the front part of my handle bars nearest the dash and closest to the clutch side parking light I responded to your PM.

I have this charger . Drilled a 1" hole in the fairing and ran it directly to the battery. The rectangle screw mount comes off so it gives it a pro-fresh-a-nal look when complete.

Sometimes, I leave either my phone or my Sena charging while at work if either went low and I failed to charge via AC power.

Guest Kakugo

I have looked at a couple options similar to this, including the Powerlet Dual USB Plug. Just didn't fit snugly enough for me, and returned it. Does this one fit securely in the side mount of the RT?

Yes, it does. Very snug fit, if by "snug" you mean not even the most potholed tarmac can shake it loose.

szurszewski
This one disappears almost completely into the socket, nothing sticking out to rattle loose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V3NOS2/

Yes, but into the wrong type of socket - that will fit the US style plug, but not the BMW one (Powerlet, DIN, Hella<-- I think those are all names I've seen used to describe the type on our bikes).

I actually bought one like that to use with an adapter on my bike and found that it was not long enough - ever so just barely like maybe 3 or 4 mm too short - to contact the center terminal. I gave it to my mom to use in her car, and it worked great there but fit so tightly and had such a small/thin lip that she couldn't get it back out!

Kerry in Mpls
This one disappears almost completely into the socket, nothing sticking out to rattle loose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V3NOS2/

Yes, but into the wrong type of socket - that will fit the US style plug, but not the BMW one (Powerlet, DIN, Hella<-- I think those are all names I've seen used to describe the type on our bikes).

I actually bought one like that to use with an adapter on my bike and found that it was not long enough - ever so just barely like maybe 3 or 4 mm too short - to contact the center terminal. I gave it to my mom to use in her car, and it worked great there but fit so tightly and had such a small/thin lip that she couldn't get it back out!

Whoops, right you are. Back to observe mode...

• 2 weeks later...
Kerry in Mpls

Just bought this "Hella DIN"/USB power adaptor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMTECNO

A bit expensive (cough) but the bike gets what the bike wants. :-)

Nice design. Not sure why the main body has an oval shape instead of round, but it doesn't really matter.

It fits snugly and securely in either the front or rear powerlet port. The white surrounding the USB ports lights up blue when powered. Has a dust/moisture cap that can be removed if you don't want it dangling when in use.

Hard to tell in these photos, but the oval part of the adaptor does not touch the bodywork when inserted; it clears it by almost 1/8" (just right).

mt6tma.jpg

2rysefm.jpg

2pt9l3a.jpg

Does not touch bodywork:

2vkdytf.jpg

In rear port:

32zt3l0.jpg

Kerry in Mpls

For the previous post, I uploaded photos to tinypic.com (an upload-and-forget it host) and pasted the resulting URLs into the message. I thought URLs on tinypic stay unique forever, but as I write this, I see one of the pictures has changed, so apparently they are recycled. I suppose all of the pictures in the above post are going change occasionally.

A) this is not my doing

B) I hope it doesn't get creepy! :-O

Archived