IGNORED

Range indicator?

czbenny

I'm concerned that my fuel gauge and range gauge are malfunctioning. Fuel gauge shows almost fuel tank after 100 miles. Range suggests 300 miles. Look into tank shows modest amount of gas visible and audible. Does range selection operate only after last gallon or so? Manual says range does not function until last gallon or so. Can't tell how close to empty I am, and worry about running out of gas. Other RT owner advised to rely on trip meter only. Thanks for advice. Benny 08 RT with 12,000 miles, and recently replace fuel strip.

Benny - Your fuel strip probably is malfunctioning, but you can't do anything about it other than replace it again. I'm on fuel strip #4 now in my '09. Sometimes they work perfectly (until they don't), sometimes they work erratically (until they don't), sometimes they bounce between the two. You might give this one a few tanks of fuel to settle down. At one point on my current fuel strip (which has been in around a year) the "miles gone" plus "miles to go", which should give range, started out at 220 and then jumped to 360, then gradually decreased to 260. All on the same tank, and this repeated itself several times. That seems to have settled down now after I gave up on it for a while.

Most important thing is to not rely upon your "miles to go" but instead reset your trip meter when you fill, know your range, and plan fuel stops based upon how far you've gone. For the most part I fill up around 250-270 miles on a tank and put in around 6 gallons (full tank is 7.1, same as yours). I have pushed beyond 300 miles, but I've also run out at 290.

There's been some discussion as to whether the "0 miles to go" is supposed to be with the stated reserve (1 gallon) left, or whether it's at bone dry. On my initial fuel strip, which lasted 54K miles, it was at bone dry. This current one "0 miles to go" means there's about a gallon left. The two in the middle never settled down enough to mean anything. I don't recommend running your tank dry to see what it means to you, but try filling at about 250 miles on your tank to see how much it takes to fill it, and then figure out how to interpret the "miles to go" yourself.

JayJay

JayJay

thanks for your insights. I plan to rely on the trip meter. Rather discouraging to run into a silly malfunction like the fuel meter/range gauge. Especially because the RT doesn't have a reserve gas valve like my reliable other bikes. It was so much easier to have a reserve valve. This kind of BMW problem kept me from buying a BMW for about 20 years after 4 prior BMW bikes. My GSXR is bullet proof and great at Laguna Seca and Sears Point.

We'll have to talk sometime. I'm a long time Stanford alum and stay in Menlo Park with classmates often on my way to Sears Point. Benny

Think you can reach me by private message on this board.

DenverWayne

All many not be lost. The last fuel strip I had installed took six tanks of gas before it was accurate. My tech told me to run the tank empty before filling. Your post does not indicate the time line of when you installed your fuel strip. Good luck.

Archived