IGNORED

O2 Sensor - R1150RT

AndyS

How difficult is it to remove the O2 sensor? Are they normally rusted in solid? Or have other folk had more success than me. What technique are you using for getting it off with the exhaust still fitted to the bike?

Thanks

Andy

Are they normally rusted in solid?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

What technique are you using for getting it off with the exhaust still fitted to the bike?

On my RT-P, an O2 sensor socket was useless because it spread too much and slipped on the hex. A 22 mm wrench and a bit of light tapping with a hammer did the trick.

If it hadn't have given up pretty easily with the light tapping, I would have stopped and applied some PB Blaster and let it soak in before whacking it again.

roger 04 rt
How difficult is it to remove the O2 sensor? Are they normally rusted in solid? Or have other folk had more success than me. What technique are you using for getting it off with the exhaust still fitted to the bike?

Thanks

Andy

Andy, I had success with a special O2 sensor socket and a 1/2" drive 24" torque wrench.

pid8775.jpg

If you are not reusing the sensor simply cut the wires and use the appropriate deep socket. If like me you have a few home modified O2 sensor sockets then using a gear clamp or two on the socket after it is in place will help prevent the spreading.

Damned specialty sockets can bankrupt a guy.

I have also used an air chisel to knock off the top part then fit a wrench over the hex when things were tight.

I used a large ring-spanner. First though, I ran the engine to heat the exhaust as this will slightly expand the hole into which the O2 sensor screws.

Andy

I used a large ring-spanner. First though, I ran the engine to heat the exhaust as this will slightly expand the hole into which the O2 sensor screws.

Andy

+1 Mine came off pretty easily with a box-end wrench.

Boomer343 and grieffster, to the kind suggestions above, You mention socket. Surely you weren't able to get a deep reach socket to the sensor with it fitted to the bike? I can't see there being enough room.

Archived