IGNORED

US-395 Reno, Nv, to Pendleton, Or, in late June

blackyam

Hi, everyone.

My wife and I are planning a trip up US-395 from Reno, Nv, to Pendleton, Or, in late June just for fun. Any weather-related concerns at that time? (Snow, closed roads, &c.) We may then either head to Boise, Id, or turn left toward Astoria, Or, and then make our way back home. Thanks very much.

---John.

Heat and chance of afternoon thunderstorms will be biggest concerns.

Sunscreen for any exposed areas and hydrate!(I like Camelbak or similar so that I can keep drinking)

All mesh gear is not good for the dry SW heat,you want some airflow,but don't want excess convection loss leading to dehydration.

Some good info here,I use LD comfort gear:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/pdf/LDComfortOnePage2013.pdf

Check NV,CA,OR DOT sites for road issues.

There is NO snow this year.

If thunderstorms,be cautious on desert roads,can encounter sudden deep water,mud.

395 has a high accident rate due to isolation,speeds,be prudent!

JR356

JR356, Thanks for the tips. I have a Camelbak, and I use a two-piece Roadcrafter. (My wife uses a Roadcrafter top and First Gear mesh bottom.) Thanks for the LD link. Glad to hear that we don't have to worry about snow closures this year (although Ca desperately needs more snow and rain). I will be sure to check the weather forecast for t-storms. The isolation of US-395 is attractive to me, but you are right that I need to be extra careful because help may be a long time coming.

---John.

If weather is good,I'd vote for Astoria and down the coast,but I'm biased,being a native Oregonian(sadly,not living there:cry:)

JR356

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I always keep my duidar on when on 395. There just seem to be a lot more DUI and sleepy drivers on that road....both north and south of Tahoe.

JR356, Yes, I'm inclined toward Astoria and down the coast, myself. It will depend on my wife.

Peter, DUIs ... oh, dear, I hadn't thought of that. I'll try to be alert.

I did do the ride on US-395 from Reno to Burns some years ago, but it was later in the summer. I remember that it was beautiful (very peaceful), and now I would like to share that experience with my wife.

---John.

A good plan on several levels is to get off the road by dusk.

Both for deer and other critters and to avoid the folks who stopped off for a couple after work.

That and it gets pretty chilly out there after sundown.

Upside after dark is there is some pretty amazing scenery out there if the moon is out and the stars can be amazing.

JR356

Might want to try and get off US 395 leaving all the traffic and big rigs and go up Oregon 205 through Frenchglen. Stunning scenery and little traffic. I know it's a bit of a detour but worth it. If you go right towards Boise... ride Oregon's Little tail of the Dragon - Or 245 to Baker City. Then ride through Hells Canyon to Enterprise, Or and then Or 3/Wa 129. Twisties, twisties & great scenery. Then down US 95 to Boise. Just suggesting...

John:

If you liked the section from Reno to Burns, you will really like the section from Burns to Pendleton. Lots of up-and-down. Lots of high plateau. Not much traffic. Once on the way back from California I got passed by a group of sportbikes doing triple digits on the long climb up from Mount Vernon. But one of my friends has also received an -ahem- major performance award on that section.

There are much tighter, more challenging twisties on other roads to go north-south in Oregon. But 395 is a nice combination of speed, services (make sure you get gas in Mt Vernon or John Day) and scenery.

Mike Cassidy

Don and Mike, Thanks for your suggestions. We will look at maps when it gets a little closer. It's nice to have options. :-) Your suggestions will be very helpful.

---John.

• 4 weeks later...

In June, heat will not likely be your problem for an Oregon Coast leg. In the northwest, June is sometimes said to be an ancient native American word meaning "its not summer yet".

jrhSeattle, Thank you.

On a downbeat note, family matters that have arisen recently have forced my wife and me to postpone this trip. :-( However, I will remember everyone's suggestions and tips when we do get a chance for it again. Thanks again, y'all. You're the best.

---John.

Archived