IGNORED

Fuel Pump

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

My 2011 R1200RT is going into the shop next week for switch replacement and fuel pump recall. Dealer says fuel pump is just adding a clamp yet I see others on the forum saying their fuel pump was replaced. Can anyone point me to a document that explains the recall?

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon Steve

If the fuel pump pass through pressure fitting boss is cracked (more than just slightly) BMW will replace the pump assembly.

If no crack in the boss or just a small crack they will install a reinforcement band around the OD of the boss.

I had a very small crack (my independent tech pointed it out to me and I could hardly see it), but the dealer replaced the fuel pump assembly.

I had a very small crack (my independent tech pointed it out to me and I could hardly see it), but the dealer replaced the fuel pump assembly.

Afternoon marcopolo

Yes, it is kind of left up to the discretion of the dealer on what to do. The bulletin says (IF) the cracks extend to the bottom of the boss or the boss diameter exceeds a certain diameter then they will replace the pump assembly.

It doesn't appear that BMW is questioning any of the dealers on what they decide to do for a customer.

When I took my 2011 RT in for the repair, the service writer said they were going to replace the whole pump assembly. That was fine with me but after hearing that the official BMW policy was to just install the reinforcement ring if there weren't any serious cracks, I asked him about it. He told me that their (dealer) policy was to do a complete replacement on high mileage bikes (my RT had about 75k miles at the time) and that so far, BMW had not questioned them about it.

Archived