IGNORED

Galfer or Spiegler

Marc01

Hi, am replacing my brake lines on my 202 R1151RT in a few months. Was interested to kinow has anyone had any experience with Galfer brake lines or are Spiegler the ones to get? Or is there another brand to use?

Thanks

Marc

I have not used Galfer, but have used Spiegler more than once, including on my 2004 R1150RT-P.

*Very* happy with the Spiegler kits, in part because they include the clamp blocks that allow you to "clock" the rotation of the end fittings to get the lines to lay exactly "right." I do not look elsewhere.

If you want Spiegler, Tom Cutter (Friend of the Marque honoree) at www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com is a good source. You can use my name, but he'll probably say "who??" :D

Both are fine. I've sold and used Galfer for years.

The Galfers don't require a special tool to "clock" if required. It's in the instructions. You hold the crimped end of the banjo with a pair of pliers, insert a Phillips screwdriver or punch in the eye of the banjo and twist to fit.

They recommend only turning 1 direction, and only 1 full turn.

It takes only a few seconds and over the years, I've never had a problem when it had to be done or clocking a line to suit bar risers or my preference.

I believe the difference is Galfer standard lines use chrome steel banjos and Speigler uses alu.

Lincoln_Faller

I just replaced the brake lines on my '01 1150GS with Galfers. Very easy job and no need to adjust the end fittings; they were fine right out of the box.

I'll be using Galfers when I replace the brake lines on my '02 1150RT as well. So far as I can see the one advantage is that a set of Galfers can be had for as much as ~$60 less than Spieglers. For instance, see http://motorcycleparts2u.com/brk-kt-comp-r11oogs-abs-94-01-mp2u080452, where the price for an 1150RT set is $155.89.

There are also Galfers offered on Ebay at something less of a discount from retail. To be clear, I have no connection with these or any other vendors.

all best, Lincoln

Both are fine. I've sold and used Galfer for years.

The Galfers don't require a special tool to "clock" if required. It's in the instructions. You hold the crimped end of the banjo with a pair of pliers, insert a Phillips screwdriver or punch in the eye of the banjo and twist to fit.

The Spiegler kit came with the "special" tool (molded chunk of plastic) to spin and align the banjos.

Archived