IGNORED

Playing with the GS911 WiFi on a Wethead

Jim VonBaden

Jim VonBaden
Besides the fact that your next service is due 6 years before the bike was built?

Seems to be a work around to the issue of resetting the service reminder!

The new GS911 WiFi is a very well sorted tool. I'm definitely liking it!

Jim :Cool:

My dealer was spouting warnings about the bikes he's seen of people that "messed up their computers" with one of these. I assumed it was complete BS.

Do you feel like there is any risk in using this tool with your bike?

Hasn't been any issues on my 2015 RT. It is a very well sorted instrument and I'm sure it will not cause any problems. I have used a GS 911 on my K 1600 for 2 1/2 years with no issues as well. Gt

My dealer was spouting warnings about the bikes he's seen of people that "messed up their computers" with one of these. I assumed it was complete BS.

A friend of mine works on a lot of our club members bikes he had the old GS911 now the WiFi GS911, he must of worked on over 50 bikes, the GS911 worked as advertised without causing any problems. I've head nothing but good reports on other forums. I've only used it on my 14R1200RT and would recommend buying one. But it's your choice.

Jay

Jim VonBaden

There is always a risk working on your own bikes, but common sense and a little knowledge can minimize that. The GS911, on the Wethead, poses pretty much no risk. On the Hexhead/Camhead there is a potential issue with the stepper motors if you do not follow the process right, but it is easily reversed with no damage!

Jim :Cool:

I just got a GS911 a few weeks ago, but haven't hooked it up to my '14 RT yet. The problem with the RTs is that you have to remove the battery cover to get to the socket to plug the GS911 into. And, you have to remove two other body panels to do that -- basically everything on the right-hand side of the bike (unlike on the GS, which I think only entails a single screw's removal to remove the battery cover and is pretty quick and easy).

I'm waiting until my next service to play with it.

I know that BMW wasn't thinking about ease of access for the home mechanic, but it's really too bad that the socket isn't under the seat (like it is on my F800GT). I really don't know that I'd pull all the body panels in a parking lot far from home to diagnose a potential problem with a GS911.

You do not have to remove the battery to access the GS 911 receptacle. Two screws and one small piece of plastic and the receptacle is in Plain-view. The receptacle has more than enough lead wire to hook up your GS 911. Very straightforward no problems at all.

You're right, Gordiet. I stand corrected. I mistakenly thought the two panels on the side had to be removed before the third panel on the bottom. They do not.

Sorry for the confusion.

Archived