Just Picked up an 07 RT. Need some tall guy mods suggestions

lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman

Just picked up an nice clean 07 RT and would like a few suggestions on what I can do to make it a little more Big and Tall friendly. I'm sure I am already on the right track with looking into a Peg lowering kit and Bar risers but what brands work best? Also the stock windscreen isn't going to cut it. I get major wind noise and buffeting at all levels with the stock screen and my height. What's the go to windshield for tall riders. I'm 6'5 260lbs.... Any ideas appreciated...

You'll get several suggestions, here's mine. Z Technik V Stream, they make several heights and the shield gets much wider at the top while most taper or stay the same.

They also have try and ride program where if you order one try it, and it's too tall too short, they will exchange it with you just paying return shipping.

A well stocked dealer will have one of each for customers to try and BUY if you like it. They are very modern and swoopy looking with a hardened coating.

I'm 6' 4" with stubby legs and run stock footpegs and bars.

You may look into a tall seat even custom to unwind you instead of changing the other items.

Put a couple folded bath towels on your stock seat and ride to see if that's what you need.

I'm 6'4 with a 34' inseam and I can't see any needs for a peg lowering kit, I just put the seat in the high position, but, I guess if you need to have the easy chair bend to your legs they are worth it.

Personally, I'd leave the bars where they are, put the seat up high and put on a taller screen and be done with it.

YMMV

I'm 6'4 with a 34' inseam and I can't see any needs for a peg lowering kit, I just put the seat in the high position, but, I guess if you need to have the easy chair bend to your legs they are worth it.

Personally, I'd leave the bars where they are, put the seat up high and put on a taller screen and be done with it.

YMMV

It depends on your knees and the size of your legs. I am an inch taller with the same inseam. Yeah I can ride it without the peg lowering kit, but I'd rather not.

I think that each of us will eventually reach the age when the less you bend your knees the better :). I am only 5'11", but I sure appreciate the lowered pegs and the seat in higher position.

YMMV

It depends on your knees and the size of your legs. I am an inch taller with the same inseam. Yeah I can ride it without the peg lowering kit, but I'd rather not.

Maybe... It's also a new bike to him.

Try my idea for a thousand miles and see if it's adjustment between body and bike or if there's some issue that needs to be fixed. Sometimes, just getting used to something is all it takes.

YMMV

Maybe... It's also a new bike to him.

Try my idea for a thousand miles and see if it's adjustment between body and bike or if there's some issue that needs to be fixed. Sometimes, just getting used to something is all it takes.

I rode mine about 12K miles before I said enough.

You don't give sleeve or leg lengths....

I'd second the V Stream idea. Just remember that your helmet, if full face, needs a good neck seal to minimize noise

Almost all aftermarket seats raise the seat 1- 1 /2 inches and the stocker won't do you in any position unless a sore butt is your thing.

Can lower pegs too if above not enough.

After the above you may find you want bar backs (risers) but they'd be where I went last.

• 3 weeks later...
lacofdfireman

So far I have done the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit. Love them. Well worth the money. Next I have bought an OEM tank bag. The thing is huge. Love it. I added electrical to it via an SAE plug. Now I can charge all my electric stuff inside the bag. Bought a VStream. There tallest one. It's still to short. Need to figure this one out as I get to much buffeting on my 360 mile commute to work. It's not gonna cut it. Bike is definitely more cramped than my Super Tenere and wasn't super impressed with my 37.5mpg on the RT on my ride to work. My Super Tenere does as good as this bike and it's shaped like a brick. But I think I will really enjoy the RT once I get a few more long rides on it.

Morning lacofdfireman

I can't help you on the tall person mods as I'm not that tall & when I ride a 1200RT with lowered pegs I occasionally drag a foot peg.

On your low fuel mileage?-- That is difficult to tell much from your limited input.

Obviously that higher/wider windshield is costing you a little MPG.

For me to get fuel economy in the 37mpg range I have to be traveling long distance in the 90+ mph range (or traveling into a strong headwind at 80+)

Are you figuring fuel mileage from gallons added at fill up's vs actual miles traveled, or just using the onboard computer?

Are you horse playing with the new bike? Sometimes on a new bike riders can't help themselves & start playing with accelerations & performance evaluations.

This winter my bike took a big hit mileage wise. The last take I got it went from 37 to 42. I think it was winter blend. They must have added a higher dose of ethanol. I use the same stations and it was consistent.

The seating position on an RT will almost always result in buffeting for tall riders.

Even with a tall acreen.

You might consider an addition to it such as a LAMINAR LIP.

It has helped on my GT.

MPG, you're a big load, no offense, and high 30's to higher 40's is not unusual.

Only once did I get outstanding mileage, going from Rawlins WY to Sydney NE and I got 51 MPG. Normally on trips I get 43-45, 40-42 commuting. This past winter was the worst though, with 37-38.

I'm about your size and also ride an '07 RT. I had my seat custom made by Don at Mr Ed's Moto. I also used the Suburban peg lowering kit and the CalSci windscreen. It's all day comfy for me now. And I've done some all day riding on trips from PDX to PHX and back.

• 3 weeks later...

I am 6'-4" with 36" inseam, and ride with the seat in the high position. I tried the laminar lip, but was disappointed. I installed the tall version of a Parabellum windshield. It lifts the air over my head nicely, it takes a little more of the wind off my shoulders, and stops the buffeting from tractor trailer trucks. The Parabellum is a vast improvement over the stock windshield even with the laminar lip.

I haven't changed the handlebars or footpegs. I have a Russell Day Long seat.

Chris

You don't give sleeve or leg lengths....

I'd second the V Stream idea. Just remember that your helmet, if full face, needs a good neck seal to minimize noise

Almost all aftermarket seats raise the seat 1- 1 /2 inches and the stocker won't do you in any position unless a sore butt is your thing.

Can lower pegs too if above not enough.

After the above you may find you want bar backs (risers) but they'd be where I went last.

34" Inseam, 38-39" sleeves. I have SM peg lowering kit and mototechniques risers. With my fused neck, I don't like forward lean at all. Once I drop more weight, I think my legs won't feel as cramped, but an aftermarket/redone seat would help. The foam in my seat is about done.

Archived