IGNORED

New member with a new to me 2002 R1150RT

Spaffypd

Hello everyone,

About a week ago I pulled the trigger on a new [to me] BMWR1150RT with 50,300 miles on it. To be honest I really knew nothing about these bikes before I bought it, but I used to have an '06 BMW F650GS and I liked it a lot; it just wasn't very good on the open road at speed for very long.

I probably should have read a lot more on these forums before buying the bike, but Ive been reading a lot since Ive bought it for sure! The bike had scheduled maintenance done at a couple different BMW dealers and was caught up until I bought it.

So without further stalling heres the pic [yes, another silver one...]

1445yjm.jpg

After reading through these forums thoroughly, I found lots of issues with spline failures, rear end drama, needle bearings not holding up, etc, etc.

There is a wealth of knowledge about these bikes online from people who are much more talented than I, and to all of you I thank you!

So with my new bike and newfound knowledge of their workings I ordered a Clymer manuel and started to rip apart my new beauty. I didn't notice anything troubling while riding it, but I had been motorcycle-less for a year prior to this, not sure I would have... I wanted to at least lube the splines. I was hoping to find nice spines, just in need of some good lube! Really, I was... This is what I found:

4gi0z9.jpg

Complete with a drenching of brake fluid from a failed clutch slave cylinder....

So I went back to the dealer stripped clutch in hand and asked if they could at least work with me on parts costs. They agreed to give a discount on parts I ordered for the bike just a little above their cost. So I proceeded to order a whole lot of parts!

I also discovered my pivot pins needle bearings were bad, and had actually made the non-adjustable pivot pin unserviceable due to bearing race spinning.

clutch, pressure plate, outer clutch housing, clutch spring, slave cylinder, input shaft, input shaft bearings, all tranny seals, new needle bearings, new big bearing in the final drive, final drive oil seal, final drive O ring, new fuel filter, improved left side cam tensioner, stainless brake lines, long drill bit to make a weep hole for the slave cylinder, and all the random little small parts.

My bike is currently in my garage with its tail up in the air and the transmission disassembled, new input shaft put together, waiting to get a measurement to see if the transmission is misaligned relative to the crankshaft for some offset alignment pins.... lots of work for owning this thing for a week!

To be honest though, these things are pretty straightforward to work on [havent touched the brakes yet though.... maybe not the brakes] and Im having a blast doing it!

If anyone needs pics of a part as I have this thing torn down, let me know! OR if you have any advice, or words of wisdom, send them my way!

Hopefully in another couple weeks Ill have this old girl back on the road and better than new!

With that list of parts I hope you got a screaming deal on the original purchase, but with any used bike you take your chances.

Hope every works out for you.

I didn't get a screaming deal, that's for sure. Its not going to be worth what I have in it. If I didn't enjoy working on it the smart thing to do would have been to part it out when I found out all that was wrong with it and buy a new bike.

I just hope after all this it has many miles left in it... I'm sure going to know it inside and out.

Spaf,

Welcome to BMWST.

Hello everyone,

About a week ago I pulled the trigger on a new [to me] BMWR1150RT with 50,300 miles on it. To be honest I really knew nothing about these bikes before I bought it, .

Just like me, only in November.

An 02 RT. First BMW.

Only did a little 'research".

I probably should have read a lot more on these forums before buying the bike, but Ive been reading a lot since Ive bought it for sure!

Just like me.

Although I had from November (when purchased bike) untill February (when I went to where bike was) to read more .... oh-patuiee ... and find more about the 02 1150 being probably the least desireable, most problem, of the 1150s, and probably the least desirable and most problem of the all RTs.

And problably the most purchased by BMW newbies.

Welcome !

Clutch spline failures (EX-ex-expensive)

Whizzy brake failures (Ex-expensive, or remove and loose ABS).

Surging problems (tunning and/or 3-400 dollar add ons).

Welcome !

. I was hoping to find nice spines, just in need of some good lube! Really, I was... This is what I found:

Same as mine... although completely failed, stripped out ... on 5th day of riding.

My sad story (February, RT go krunch) maybe one of those that you saw.

Good to see that you have checked the xmission input shaft, and are attending to that. And the leaking cyclinder.

Hopefully in another couple weeks Ill have this old girl back on the road and better than new!

I can say similar, is back together, but after writing a big check. (bike is 2250 miles away).

So I went back to the dealer stripped clutch in hand and asked if they could at least work with me on parts costs. They agreed .....

Oh, you bought bike from dealer...

Good that they are helping you out some.

I would think anyone with much knowlodge of BMW history of the time, would know about this common problem.

(can argue HOW common, but common enough). And I understand that knowledgeable folks can investigate to know if a particular bike is experiencing this problem.

The above statement is mostly my opinion, based on reading things here.

But I can tell you this fact: When I walked into the San Diego BMW dealer, from the tow truck, they did a better job of describing the sound it made, without walking out side, than I could after experincing it .... .... "does it sound like kazirrrr zirrrr zirrrr....?"

• 3 weeks later...

The work on my bike is finally almost done, parts orders and time to work on it slowed me down some....

To give you an idea of the refresh done here are MOST of the parts Im replacing:

14ccl5y.jpg

I splurged and bought a set of Öhlins. Will have a good base level of repair on the bike now to keep it in proper condition.

Just waiting on one more part, the fuel sender- the old ones wires decided they didnt want their insulation anymore. Probably should have tried to rewire it, i just recall having a hard time finding electircal wire rated for fuel submersion...

Thrn sync the throttles and start tuning the shocks!

Two bumps in the road to avoid:

Patience and a soft touch when shoving the fuel sending unit back in the tank. With the thin walls, it's easy to put a dent in it, then it's near worthless. If it's a used part, check it for the tale-tale dent that can occur if it came from a fuel tank that collapsed due to vaccuum pressure.

Also, your fuel pump plate will have a flattened edge on it - line that up with the little mark that will be impressioned on your tank. Not sure if that info is in the manuals or not.

You definitely jumped in head first - good luck!

Im going to be careful with the new one! Ive heard about the dents, in fact was debating about that charcoal canister.... I shook mine and it sounds dry still at lesst...

I was under the impression the HES in the 1150 was not as much of as issue as the 1100's? What ive read seems to suggest that at least.

Also; maybe a dumb question, but if there is a sending unit why does the fuel pump have a float?

Also; maybe a dumb question, but if there is a sending unit why does the fuel pump have a float?

The float arm at the pump triggers the low fuel light.

I have seen that video and have read numerous articles across 3 forums about the issue.

I do think that the splines are a factor; however, what I did to address the issue was to measure the misalignment of the transmission in regards to the crankshaft with a micrometer and use offset dowel pins to re-align the transmission. [it was high and to the right; I used a .006 inch dowel in the upper left positioning location and a .003 inch dowel on the lower right positioning location.] I have also been posting on a thread on the R1100S/ R1200S Pelican Parts forum.

There seems to be two different camps on what the biggest problem is, the splines or the misalignment. My theory/ experiment is the misalignment. [with the splines and other factors playing a supporting role]

I can be a test case for not using a modified clutch and realigning the transmission. Time will tell the results.

Archived