New brake roto bobbins from Cata Dan

szurszewski

szurszewski

I've been meaning to replace the front rotor bobbins for ... oh ... 10 or 20 thousand miles. They weren't *terrible* but over those miles the amount of rotational play has definitely become more apparent. Some weeks ago I finally got around to ordering a set of bobbins from Cata Dan, who is a member here and has a business supplying parts for oilheads - like bobbins, throttle bodies and HESs.

Cata Dan's webstore

He is in Romania, but he was super quick to notify me of payment receipt and sent the parts immediately. I had them in, as I recall, less than two weeks - far less time, at any rate, than it took me to get around to doing the work (ordered at Thanksgiving and installed just before Easter!).

The new bobbins are beautiful - and the cleanest part of my bike. Easy to install and looking at the ones that came off, I'm glad I took the time to swap them. Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment. Cata recommended removing the wheel and then the rotors...but I'm either lazy or not very smart, and I did all the work with the wheel still on the bike. I'm slow, but it only took me maybe an hour total.

Shiny and new:

image.jpg

Not so shiny...all of them were worn, but only a few had these flat spots.

image.jpg

This one should have had a retaining ring, but it was gone. Only two still had intact rings - and only one required more than finger/hand pressure to pop out.

image.jpg

Rotors are nice and tight (rotationally) now - couldn't be happier.

josh

+1 - the bobbins from Cata Dan are very nice. I did mine at the same time I was changing the front tire so the wheel was off. A little heat on the rotor screws and they came out easily which made removing the old clips and bobbins easy. My old rotor bobbins had my front end creaking and rattling. With the new bobbins on there is no noise, no rotational movement just side to side float.

• 5 months later...

Another happy customer. My R1100RTP discs were rattling up a storm. Got a set and had them installed at Vallantine's in Seattle.

Are these also appropriate for the R1200RTP?

• 10 months later...

Are these also appropriate for the R1200RTP?

I am afraid not, it uses a different setup for the brake rotors.

Recently, I have been trying to help someone that had a terrible vibration on the front end when applying the hand brake, the problem was only solved by getting the new brake rotors from BMW, that also come with new bobbins that only fit those rotors.

Dan.

Archived