IGNORED

Helment

tekslk

I just got my r1100rt last fall, and I use a half helment. After watching many other riders it looks like most are using full lids with suits of armor. Does this mean we cant hang out?

3/4 you're good, half, you're out of here! :rofl: Believe it or not I hang out with a few guys that take their helmets off when they cross the NH state line. :eek:

Enthusiastic & friendly is about all it takes to hang out with this crowd! :thumbsup:

Pat

Enthusiastic & friendly is about all it takes to hang out with this crowd! :thumbsup:

Pat

There's the ticket!

And as far as the suits of armor, those are our Power Rangers outfits!

I just got my r1100rt last fall, and I use a half helment. After watching many other riders it looks like most are using full lids with suits of armor. Does this mean we cant hang out?

icon-airframe-statistic-helmet-right-side-291x300.jpg

icon-airframe-statistic-helmet-left-side-292x300.jpg

Most likely points of impact in an accident.

Do you wear the right half or the left half?

Top half or bottom half?

Which half do you not care about?

Conversations are awkward with a guy who has his jaw wired shut.

Well I where the top half, really don't want to go without one so I got a carbon fiber half helment you don't even know its on. All I know is Im 63 and it works for me. Been riding 48 years.

Nah......wear what you want. If someone cares, that's their problem. I grew up wearing full faced helmets and feel naked wearing anything less. I went out for a few rides when PA dropped their helmet law and just didn't like it. Between weather, bugs, rocks, and wearing contact lenses at the time, I just figured it wasn't for me. So I went home and got my helmet. For me, my comfortable feel of being on the bike is having my head stuffed in a shell. I rarely even crack my visor.

I can't even ride a bicycle on the street because it freaks me out not having one on.......yes, that is the truth.

I was shopping for one of my full face helments. Harley biker dude and his Harley biker chick (tatoos) were also.

I commented to Harley biker chick (tatoos) loud enough so Harley biker dude could hear, "these full face helmets protect your jaw, which is frequently injured."

"Yeah", says Harley biker chick, "he found that out the hard way."

Harley biker dude had no comment. But he kept looking over the full face helments.

(Apologies to Bob)

dc

szurszewski

Careful or Bob will point out "tatoos" as well. :)

Speaking of tattoos, that's a good reason to wear full gear - tattoos are expensive and I hear it's painful to touch up scar tissue...and hard to keep accurate lines :(

Teksik, you can wear what you want, and you can hang out. You might get a little grief, but you sound like you can handle. Just one thing to keep in mind. You may never cause the accident you're going to be in. It might be completely someone else's fault. But it's not them that's going to go flying through the air. And in that half of a second between "Oh, shit" and hitting the ground, you don't get to call "time out" and go home and put on your most protective gear. You make it, or you don't, based on what you wore when you left that morning. For me, if something's a little uncomfortable but it's the best at doing the job, then I'm going to wear it. YMMV, but after a crash in which a full-face helmet gets scratched, dinged, dented and crushed but protects the rider's head and face, no one EVER said, "Gee, I wish I'd had a lot less protection on my head."

Again, it's an individual call. I've made mine. You do as you please. But you can still hang out here.

If this was all about comfort, I'd sell the bike and buy a Chrysler 300. If this was all about safety, I'd sell the bike and buy a 1 ton Ford (not sure if that's really any safer than the 300, but I'm going with the superior tonnage rule).

As we all know, most of your higher risk activities are tame compared with the drive to get there. And a motorcycle just compounds the risk. Clearly we all have our own risk comfort level. Some of us do the research and understand the risk. Some of us poke our heads in the sand. Most of us are on some spot in that spectrum. Personally, I watch motorcycle crash videos on Youtube (note to self, don't try a wheelie). Then, every day, when I depart on the bike, I pause to visualize myself tumbling ass over teakettle down the highway, headed for an oncoming Kenworth and a telephone pole. It keeps me focused, and it helps me to put on all that gear (although I do cheat on the gear a little sometimes).

I had my son beside me once when we rode a pair of dirt bikes down the highway, anyway I wrecked mine when my head hit the highway with a 3/4 helment I thought thank god I had one on. It sure cracked when it hit. Thanks for the opinions. I guess I will just keep on riding and having fun.

Archived