IGNORED

R1150RT wiring harness meltdown question

RoanokeRider

RoanokeRider

I had a meltdown that was caused by the wiring harness where it cross the front under the nose fairing being squished between the left fork tube and a cross member. A green wire was burned completely from where it was pinched to a junction where about a dozen green wires join together, a little over a foot away. A very thin purple wire and a heavier solid white had some damage, but not near as much. I replace the section of green wire by crimping a new piece to the pinched end a using a scotch connector into another green wire near the junction. The white and purple wires I touched up with 2-3 coats of liquid electrical tape and any other wires that showed any scorched spots whether wire was show or not.

Everything seems to be working except the below listed relay is clicking, fast at first then slows down after a few seconds. Any idea what to check before I rewrap the harness?

01 61 36 1 393 417 MINI-RELAY FOR OPENER, BLUE 0.04 1 $32.55

This relay is for lighting and ABS indicator lights for R1150R/RT/RS/R1200CL.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Afternoon Bill

It might be normal until you ride the bike a few feet so try riding the bike to see if it stops clicking.

You should have a dash light or lights flashing in rhythm with that relay clicking (do you?)

That scotch lock is very poor pick for a lasting repair (those things should be outlawed for vehicle repair).

RoanokeRider

D.R., You are correct, it is clicking in time to the brake warning light. I guess it is safe to wrap the harness and button it up now. Thanks for the info. As for the Scotch Lock, I agree but it was here and I didn't have anything else handy so I used it. I am hoping that it being wrapped tight with the harness wrap will keep it from failing.

Thanks again.

I am hoping that it being wrapped tight with the harness wrap will keep it from failing.

That is a lot of electrical load to put through a scotch lock. It will probably work enough to get you far from home until it fails in the dark of night in the L/H lane of high speed freeway.

Archived