Valve Train Noise - How much is too much?

TripleThreat

TripleThreat

Just got back from picking up my new-to-me 2004 R1150RT. I rode it a little over 300 miles in two days in the mountains of NC and TN after picking it up in Bristol, VA. I am really going to enjoy this bike as I get more acquainted with it.

The bike performed great, with no noticeable surging under constant throttle position, so I am guessing the valves can't be too far out of adjustment.

I did notice that above 3,000 rpms, I hear a bit of valve noise. I'm going to order the feeler gauges from Beemer Boneyard to do a valve adjustment, but was just wondering how much valve noise is too much?

I will be doing an oil change and rear spline lubrication when I do the valve adjustment and I may go ahead and change final drive fluid at the same time. Any other immediate items I should look at? Bike has 52,000 miles on it.

TT : There is no absolute answer to your question. If the valve clearances are in spec, you may want to tighten up the rocker end play adjustment. The "in spec" range for this is huge, and moving the end play to the lower end of the range can quiet things down, but don't overdo it: with insufficient end play, the rockers can stick, which is a bad thing for valves.

Guide here: http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/OREPADv1.0.pdf

The hardest part is getting both ends the same; this can take several tries before you get it right. The hardest part to accept is torquing a cylinder stud, then tightening it another 180°. The good news is that if you do this right, you should never have to do it again.

Selden wrote:

The hardest part is getting both ends the same;

Selden - could you expand on this a little? Is this part of BMW spec?

Evening TripleThreat

A light even sounding valve noise is normal, in fact it's when you can't hear any noise is when you should start worrying as they are too tight & can burn.

You also might be hearing some chain nose as there are cam & accessory chains that can make some noise.

OK - I get it - intake & exhaust, right? It's been a while... I read your reference on advrider and it's much clearer now. :dopeslap:

TripleThreat

Thanks guys... Once the feeler gauges arrive, along with the oil change and brake bleeding stuff, I'll take all the tupperware off for the first time and really get in there and start leaning the maintenance on this bike.

I feel pretty confident in doing it all myself, as a former shop teacher I should be just fine with just about everything. Looking forward to seeing her in all her naked glory in short order...

Archived