IGNORED

clamptite tool at aerostich?

elkroeger

Anyone ever use this widget from Aerostich?

Seems kinda pricey, but I've got quite a lot of uses for something like this. Any reasonably priced alternatives - like a better technique with a plain old pair of pliers?

Clamptite tool

Thanks!

Lockwire pliers or safety wire twiting pliers offered by harbor freight for ten bucks would do the same operation and you would be able to use it for other repairs too.

I've used safety wire pliers for many years. This doesn't look to me like it performs the same function. Twisted safety wire, generally, keeps threaded fasteners from loosening (and can be performed basically without twisting the wire). This creates a hose-type clamp from wire. Still trying to figure out the instructions on the link...

szurszewski

Agreed on all points. Particularly the instructions - I *think* I understand what they want me to do, but the parts that say "wrap the wire as shown" and then have the wire going in all directions .... well, I feel like if I tried it I could make it work.

Might be a different model, but a better price at Lee Valley, though I did not look at shipping costs. Seems to be a number of videos on YouTube.

Might work as an emergency replacement for an oetiker clamp.

Turns out a little google goes a long way. They got a whole clamptite website (who'd-a-thunk-it?) with cheapies, the high dollar units, and more info to boot. For myself, 30 clams does seem a little more my speed. I'll likely buy one down at work first and see how it goes.

http://www.clamptitetools.net/

Very good the tool would work much better than a pair of lockwire pliers by far when clamping. Just make sure there is enough wire.

I'm a sucker for a well built, single purpose tool ... that actually works perfectly. Ordered from the ClapTite site! Don't know when I'll use it ... might have to invent a few reasons. LOL

Archived