BMWSportTouring
Sign in to follow this  
doc47

Exhaust pipe cleaner -- recommendations?

doc47

I wire-brushed the surface rust accumulation after 3 years sitting in the Senegal humidity. Pretty superficial but the pipe looks mottled and ugly. Any suggestions on how to pretty-up the pipe? Heat-resistant black paint, maybe? Or is there a polish that can clean it up? (Not that I'd be likely to find it over here....)

Somebody mentioned Autosol. Is that available in the US?

Guest Kakugo

Is it stainless or chrome?

elkroeger

there may be a chemical or polish, or some other good idea out there. I don't know.

One thing I'd be inclined to do, which is a no-no, is to go at it with a wire wheel. It might sound like a good idea, but those things aren't stainless. Then they leave little micro bits of regular steel embedded in the stainless pipe, and then of course, they rust out and it looks like hell. Or so I'm told...

tekslk

Try rubbing with a brillo pad. Your wife has a bunch of them under the kitchen cabinet.

Ewell D.

A product call Semichrome Polish. Comes in a tube. Last one I bought I found in the fishing lure section of a sporting goods store. Just stumbled on it so I bought it. I think aerostitch has it.

Ewell D.

A product call Semichrome Polish. Comes in a tube. Last one I bought I found in the fishing lure section of a sporting goods store. Just stumbled on it so I bought it. I think aerostitch has it.

DiggerJim

Simichrome is great. It's available from Amazon (here)

I also have a R1200C which is all about chrome so I've a close relationship to polish :) The tubes are small because you use it sparingly but Amazon also has larger sizes & multiple tube packs - just do a search on simichrome.

ESokoloff

Might as well try

Alba

Great video, thanks for posting....

tekslk

well Im sold on that.

Ride200mi

Any suggestions on taking the bluing of the head pipes? Tried Semichrome (sp?) but all it does is shine the non-blue parts